Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tchock

Regular

That would be a 1024-bit interface. ;)

refer here

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Woops, got the esram and gddr interface widths mixed up. :oops:

So looks like somewhere around ~190mm^2 is the pad limited going off of RV670. So probably wont hit that until the 14nm shrink.

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

4. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Is there any difference in pad requirements between GDDR3 and DDR3, for the same width?

5. XpiderMX

Veteran

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/370538/xbox-one-will-have-high-performance-custom-chip?page=0,0

It looks like HSA complaint.

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Unique control processor features for custom graphics and processing in the Xbox graphics core?

7. bagofsuck

Newcomer

i want to know about the CPU speed,was 1.6 GHz ever confirmed?

8. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

nope, neither consoles will likely reviel clock speeds until someone hacks them or leaks happen. I doubt they will even be relieved after launch.

9. Rangers

Legend

BTW, it was said, I think I read it on GAF? and I want to say maybe it came from bkilian here? That the audios processor/SHAPE came about when MS went to the Xbox team and said something like "we have a bunch of "free" transistors, what do you guys want to do with them"?

That obviously is rather provocative. What is the thinking there? Free transistors and why? Why not used on more graphics then?

It sort of reminds me how it was said Intel integrated GPU's came about because they were I/O limited, so they in essence had free area on their CPU's which they decided to fill up with graphics.

10. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Depends on how much space there was and what the layout was permitting (i.e. think Tetris). Compute units and render back ends aren't exactly something you throw into a small area without implications (e.g. hooking up RBEs to the scratchpad to scale the bandwidth I/O etc, existing layout of CUs may not be conducive towards adding just one more, plus they aren't insignificant themselves if you've seen the die shots of 7xxx).

11. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

My guess is, if that was the case it went like this:
    Put aside space for Kinect stuff, and realised had spare transistor capacity left once it was all designed etc.

It may not even have been enough transistors for CU, or even in a suitable location.

But fixed logic is faster and needs less transistors, so why not use it to remove sound from the cpu and/or cu's? Get more bang for your transistor buck probably.
    All games may not use it to it's full potential, but it's still freeing up other resources regardless.

12. XpiderMX

Veteran

I'm guessing that the 16GB rumor was a confusion because the 8GB DDR3 and the 8GB flash memory.

13. tunafish

Regular

Oh, it's also not GDDR, it's just DDR.

14. bkilian

Veteran

The custom audio chip designed by MS and Tensilica had "free" transistors. I don't know if that means that the way the blocks were organised they had square mm free, or if the price they were paying was the same up to X amount of transistors or what. They could not be used for graphics, physics, or anything else, because they're not in the right part of the APU, and they have to use the AXI bus to communicate with the rest of the system. The right thing, and the only thing, to do with them was use them for audio tasks.

15. grndzro

Newcomer

Transistors have no effect on the chip price in and of themselves.
    The price to fab a chip is it's area. they pay per silicon mm.

Large complex chips can have much higher failure rates per chip
    which are either absorbed by the customer or by the foundry.

Costs being absorbed by the foundry dont happen as much now because there is no shortage of customers. Sometimes early in a process node during debugging foundry's make deals to pay for defective chips.

16. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I read it as area that was allotted to "MS and Tensilica" for the Kinect stuff.
    No point leaving a blank bit of silicon there when you could put shape in there.

17. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

The 16GB rumor was most probably a feedback loop that started with fun speculation about what they could or couldn't do. Those pesky feedback loops happened very often in the last 12 months... about everything :lol:

18. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I think bkillian and his team had plenty of free transistors.

For those who are technologically minded, which is the typical B3D former, the Xbox One's 5 billion transistors are enough to populate about 2.2 million Intel 4004 processors.

sebbbi, the links you shared are mainly related to articles talking about Tiled Resources. Does BF4 feature Tiled Resources? Just curious....

19. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Why should Sebbi know about BF4,?. Are you confusing him with Repi?. Sebbi knows for sure about "Trials Evolution".

20. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

(edited part) You are right, he is one of the developers of the brilliant Trials Evolution. Anyway, sebbbi is very technologically minded and he is probably working in advanced games.

All I know is that despite his saying he is one of the main programmers of Trials games, he is also involved in other games afaik.

#5880 Cyan, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.