Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the tongue was left as 'good enough' because you'll hardly see it and it will usually be deep in shadows?

The more you look at it, the weirder it seems. To me, it now looks like he's got an egg in his mouth. Perhaps it's some Roman centurion feat of dexterity: kill a hundred men without breaking this egg!

Just realized this might fit this thread better:
Did AMD just "spill the beans" on XB1 having more ACEs than their desktop GPUs?
Mah also confirmed that the two GPU versions are compatible with the requirements of Direct3D 11.2 in the living room next Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Compared with the current series desktop GPUs Radeon HD 7000 and HD 8000 (OEM), console versions would offer much more Asynchronous Compute Engines (ACEs) to perform simultaneous graphics and compute calculations more efficiently.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...ndig-zu-Direct3D-11-2-kompatibel-1938071.html

Someone who can speak German could probably give better translation than Google, though

Hey let's not bemoan the bad dentistry of such a bygone era :LOL: So judgy
:smile: Perhaps he is singing death metal vocals. Do you imagine having anyone singing like that on your face early in the morning with that breath coming at you?

What the bleep? I remember reading more than once that the Xbox One's GPU didn't have a lot of ACEs, especially compared to Play Station 4 GPU.

If that's true these consoles' GPUs can be the prime influencer of the new era of PC graphics cards.

Pics look nice, but the bottom row of teeth and tongue really bother me. Something doesn't seem aligned correctly.

Could be the lighting, bottom row teeth aren't supposed to show that much. besides that maybe i would say that a Roman solder's mouth is never THAT clean......but it's not like it would help any if it looked dirtier than hell.

What the bleep? I remember reading more than once that the Xbox One's GPU didn't have a lot of ACEs, especially compared to Play Station 4 GPU.
The most accepted information I've seen so far is the disclosures from VGleaks, and the GPU information didn't go to a low enough level of detail to say either way.
There's still a good chance that the PS4 has the upper range of ACEs that was disclosed for Sea Islands. If Durango comes the next iteration of graphics IP, the other upcoming architectures may implement ACEs in groups of four, which is by default more than the two in initial GCN cards.

The most accepted information I've seen so far is the disclosures from VGleaks, and the GPU information didn't go to a low enough level of detail to say either way.
There's still a good chance that the PS4 has the upper range of ACEs that was disclosed for Sea Islands. If Durango comes the next iteration of graphics IP, the other upcoming architectures may implement ACEs in groups of four, which is by default more than the two in initial GCN cards.

I don't know if it has changed but the last time I looked it was 16 Queues in 2 Pipes for compute. Can't remember now if that was the default value for GCN or not.

I don't know if it has changed but the last time I looked it was 16 Queues in 2 Pipes for compute. Can't remember now if that was the default value for GCN or not.

That's the "Bonaire-level", also used by PS4, AFAIK. I think the original value was 1 or 2 queues per ACE

Did AMD just "spill the beans" on XB1 having more ACEs than their desktop GPUs?

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...ndig-zu-Direct3D-11-2-kompatibel-1938071.html

Someone who can speak German could probably give better translation than Google, though
heise.de said:
Mah bestätigte außerdem, dass die beiden GPU-Varianten in den kommenden Wohnzimmerkonsolen Playstation 4 und Xbox One kompatibel zu den Anforderungen von Direct3D 11.2 seien. Im Vergleich mit den derzeitigen Desktop-GPUs der Serien Radeon HD 7000 und HD 8000 (OEM) böten die Konsolen-Varianten wesentlich mehr Asynchronous Compute Engines (ACEs), um gleichzeitige Grafik- und Compute-Berechnungen noch effizienter auszuführen.
Rough translation:
Mah also confirmed, that both GPU variants in the upcoming game consoles (lit. living room consoles) Playstation 4 and Xbox One would be compatible with the Direct3D 11.2 requirements. In comparison to current desktop GPUs of the HD7000 and HD8000 (OEM) series, the console models (would) offer substantially more Asynchronous Compute Engines (ACEs) to carry out concurrent graphics and compute tasks even more efficiently.

As 3dilettante already said, with the GCN1.1 tech level the ACEs come in groups of four (1 MEC). It was theoretized before, that the single compute block in the Durango block diagram could refer to such a MEC (4 ACEs, 32 queues) while the PS4 has 2 MECs (8ACEs, 64 queues).

Rough translation:
Mah also confirmed, that both GPU variants in the upcoming game consoles (lit. living room consoles) Playstation 4 and Xbox One would be compatible with the Direct3D 11.2 requirements. In comparison to current desktop GPUs of the HD7000 and HD8000 (OEM) series, the console models (would) offer substantially more Asynchronous Compute Engines (ACEs) to carry out concurrent graphics and compute tasks even more efficiently.

As 3dilettante already said, with the GCN1.1 tech level the ACEs come in groups of four (1 MEC). It was theoretized before, that the single compute block in the Durango block diagram could refer to such a MEC (4 ACEs, 32 queues) while the PS4 has 2 MECs (8ACEs, 64 queues).

Sea Island gpus, which I am guessing are the 8000 parts can sport 8 pipelines with 8 queues per pipeline. So whats "substantially more"?

If you are talking about the OEM renames, those are not the next revision of GCN. Bonaire has been described as a newer IP level, although the amount of discussion about any compute enhancements has been very sparse in the reviews I've seen, leaving me uncertain as to what has been exposed at the driver level so far.

So whats "substantially more"?
Doubling the number of ACEs to four and multiplying the number of queues with 16 to arrive at 32 queues in total would definitely be "substantially more". But as no concrete numbers were mentioned, we are left with the interpretation of what "substantially" (or in German "wesentlich", a closer literal translation would actually be "essential", but it doesn't fit that well in this context, there are a lot of synonymes with very close meanings as also the case in English; after all, the interview was probably done in English, it's just a guessing game, which exact word was used in the first place, and it doesn't matter in the end) means in this case. Even +25% could easily be a substantial change in other cases. So in the end, it says nothing more than that there are more than the two ACEs and two queues which was the standard for GCN1 GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if Durango features 4 ACEs and 32 queues just like Kabini.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubling the number of ACEs to four and multiplying the number of queues with 16 to arrive at 32 queues in total would definitely be "substantially more". But as no concrete numbers were mentioned, we are left with the interpretation of what "substantially" (or in German "wesentlich", a closer literal translation would actually be "essential", but it doesn't fit that weel in this context, there are a lot of synonymes with very close meanings like in English) means in this case. Even +25% could easily be a substantial change in other cases. So in the end, it says nothing more than that there are more than the two ACEs and two queues which was the standard for GCN1 GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if Durango features 4 ACEs and 32 queues just like Kabini.

Isn't Bonaire same as Kabini with 4/32, and that's definitely 7000/8000 (OEM) series card?

Isn't Bonaire same as Kabini with 4/32, and that's definitely 7000/8000 (OEM) series card?
Probably yes to the Kabini/Bonaire question (but the block diagram shown at the presentation shows only 2 ACEs, but the initialization code for some free Radeon drivers mentions 4 ACEs/pipes with 8 queues each).
But besides Bonaire, all HD8000 OEM cards are based on GCN1.0 and are just relabeled HD7000 cards.

Sea Island gpus, which I am guessing are the 8000 parts can sport 8 pipelines with 8 queues per pipeline. So whats "substantially more"?

All signs point to the gpu being a VI part. NDA supposedly expires at same time AMD debuts VI. MS closes the show at hot chips, so unless you think that the Kinect sensor is worthy of that timeslot ... etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back