Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strange

Veteran

Online service is cloud tech. E-mail is cloud tech.

Not harder, more like impossible.

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

It is a pretty stupid term. Pretty much any application that runs online could be called The Cloud. The Cloud could basically be a synonym for Internet.

3. gurgi

Regular

exactly...i remember gaming on the cloud via a phone placed on top of my modem

it's just marketing...i'll be impressed when the cloud amounts to more than social interaction, and mob pathing

4. patsu

Legend

Well, the core cloud technologies allow people to manage and scale their operation easily. Why complain when it's useful everywhere. ^_^

If it lowers the cost and hassle of server operations, the developers can be more bold in experimenting with new ideas.

If it's just marketing, NetFlix won't move their infrastructure to EC2. Services and businesses like SOE, XBL, PSN, Origins, Blizzard, Activision, and Steam will of course take a close look.
    e.g., It will be interesting to see Gaikai's experience next year.

5. hesido

Regular

Publishers paying for enhancing single player experiences does not really make sense, at all. A single machine could handle several matches or act as a co-op hub for dozens of players, but it would scale really worse for calculating GI solutions, for example.

6. Solarus

Newcomer

so microsoft announced automatic GPU memory paging/tiling announced for W8.1 and Xbox One at their conference today. i remember astrograd showing patents on tiling that ms had. does this have to do with those patents? also without making this into a versus discussion, what would this mean for ps4? if pc and xbox utilize this, wouldn't this mean xbox one games ported to ps4 will struggle? people on gaf are saying it has to do with the prt on amd's card. does ps4 have those?

the esram seems like it would also make this a better fit for xbox one no?

7. traptd

Newcomer

Yeah, ps4 will be able to use the partially resident textures because the GPU architecture is the same. This capability isn't new though, it can already be used on the GCN cards via an OpenGL extension that was introduced by AMD last year. But I'm not sure what MS will do for nvidia and pre GCN cards.

8. XpiderMX

Veteran

I don't think that it is exactly the same than partially resident textures, at least no like MS described it.

9. Solarus

Newcomer

but how could it have been used when almost all games on pc have been directx base and ms just announced dx support?

with xbox's dmes and esram, would that give it an advantage when dealing with this stuff that ps4 and pc might not have? what about the display planes?

10. XpiderMX

Veteran

I guess esram and low latency can give an advantage, because esram can be used like a memory page table.

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Great news! Apparently Microsoft are trying to transform the Xbox One into a TBDR machine and are introducing a new technology called Tiled Resources to create fine levels of detail on DirectX 11.2 for Windows 8.1 and Xbox One.

(thanks to catxoperro for the news)
    Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/26/m...xbox-one-and-windows-8-1/#TwCuik1WHHrEf81O.99

#4051 Cyan, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  12. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

It's likely just API support for PRT's

13. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

What does PRT stand for ERP? Just curious...

14. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

15. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Ah, thanks! Megatexturing and Virtual Texturing as Carmack define those techniques can be a reality on next gen consoles then, thanks to this.

I think this technology fits the eSRAM perfectly. I mean Megatextures" (which is basically virtual texturing) could benefit as you might fit the whole screen-space budget of textures into eSRAM.

A really low latency plus high bandwidth to the entire budget of textures for a frame, wouldn't open up some neat scenarios?

32MB of scratchpad memory is enough for a 1080p framebuffer + Z, afaik

16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yeah, as everyone's said. Not TBDR related.

17. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

18. MJP

MJP
    Regular

The API changes they've announced seem to cover the resource management/setup side of PRT, but it looks like they're missing the shader side of it (shader programs getting status codes about whether a page is present in memory).

19. dagamer

Veteran

Anyone surprised we didn't here more developer stuff for Xbox during the Build Day 1 keynote? Day 2 seems more enterprise focused as well, so chances are slim. =/

20. Kb-Smoker

Regular

A lot of rumors were coming out about it. Was there nothing announced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.