Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of rumors were coming out about it. Was there nothing announced?

I think Ballmer said there wouldn't be a lot of Xbox stuff, but they did announce new free Xbox Music streaming for Win8.1 & Xbox Music for the web, Kinect One for Windows SDK(pre-order now for $399) & they did end the show with a demo of Project Spark. Really depressing that they didn't talk about Xbox One & Indies or a XNA replacement.

Tommy McClain

I think Ballmer said there wouldn't be a lot of Xbox stuff, but they did announce new free Xbox Music streaming for Win8.1 & Xbox Music for the web, Kinect One for Windows SDK(pre-order now for $399) & they did end the show with a demo of Project Spark. Really depressing that they didn't talk about Xbox One & Indies or a XNA replacement.

Tommy McClain

From what i heard on gaf todays keynote will have some Indies stuff.

From what i heard on gaf todays keynote will have some Indies stuff.

For all their protestations about getting behind Indies they do seem to be rather light on content. I can't work out whether they have some amazing game plan or whether they have just lost the plot with the XB1.

For all their protestations about getting behind Indies they do seem to be rather light on content. I can't work out whether they have some amazing game plan or whether they have just lost the plot with the XB1.

From what i also heard is they dropped the patching and resubmit fees.
Something like WinRT with native access to the game os hardware would be bonkers.

Anyone know if the XBO has an IR receiver on the front to work with current IR remotes? I know they are pushing for all voice control now but just wondering...

Anyone know if the XBO has an IR receiver on the front to work with current IR remotes? I know they are pushing for all voice control now but just wondering...

AFAIK, there's no IR input, but I guess Smartglass could be used to control the device in the HDMI-input.

If you were going to use an IR remote anyway, why would you need IR input for the xbone?

AFAIK, there's no IR input, but I guess Smartglass could be used to control the device in the HDMI-input.

If you were going to use an IR remote anyway, why would you need IR input for the xbone?

Im talking about controlling the XBO itself, using media center, controlling Blu-Ray playback, etc

Smartglass and/or voice control.

Doesn't it make more sense?

In most cases yes, but late at night when the family is asleep upstairs I think i'd want the option to go old school and control it all stealth-like. :)

For smartglass, as it stands now the discreet controls are somewhat limited and its still a bit easier for everyone to pick up the appliance-like remote on the coffee table then fiddling through screens on their phones.

Would Kinect be able to receive infrared remote control signals? No need to include an infrared sensor in the case if every XB1 includes a Kinect that already has one.

Tommy McClain

Not 9GB of ram, 9GB of assets, the actual memory footprint was much lower (not sure for that second demo, but that mars recreation was limited to 16MB of ram)
That's half of the ESRAM in Xbox One, and it looked amazing for such a low memory footprint. :eek:

Video of the demonstration.

And a much, much better video on Tiled Resources here -needless to say the host in this one isn't the same person, nor it is the same video-. The video isn't a hefty download at all -147MB- and it's worth the watch! :O

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/4-063

A really low latency plus high bandwidth to the entire budget of textures for a frame, wouldn't open up some neat scenarios?
Not really, no ... low latency is only really relevant if you make fast R/W use of a location, unless the shaders are very short low latency access to normal textures isn't important ... better to put (part of) the framebuffer in there than textures AFAICS.

Sorry, but that's a lousy link to that article as you fail to convey the key info.
XB1 ESRAM gains significant 88% BW increase to 192 GB/s theoretical peak.

Although reading the article, that's not quite right. It's actually a case of
MS Engineers stumble across gains in the ESRAM performance allowing higher BW to devs.

So how could Microsoft's own internal tech teams have underestimated the capabilities of its own hardware by such a wide margin? Well, according to sources who have been briefed by Microsoft, the original bandwidth claim derives from a pretty basic calculation - 128 bytes per block multiplied by the GPU speed of 800MHz offers up the previous max throughput of 102.4GB/s. It's believed that this calculation remains true for separate read/write operations from and to the ESRAM. However, with near-final production silicon, Microsoft techs have found that the hardware is capable of reading and writing simultaneously. Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations. Theoretical peak performance is one thing, but in real-life scenarios it's believed that 133GB/s throughput has been achieved with alpha transparency blending operations (FP16 x4).
Remember, kids, don't just read the titles to understand an article. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back