Kinect
[6]
IR out
[5]
Ethernet
???
[4]

What's the port next to the [4] label?
Interesting, that one is not available from the outside of the box. Serial debug port for devkits?

Because 32MB eDRAM on the Xbox One means the APU isn't guaranteed to be smaller than that of the PS4. And we know every Xbox One already comes with a Kinect, so if the rumors are true that the PS4 won't include the PSEye, that's ~$50 less Sony has to spend.

I have a hard time thinking either system will be selling for less than $399 though, unless Microsoft is really milking tons of profits out of the current 360 + Kinect bundle (currently $399).
Even so, what about the GDDR5 and a much powerful GPU? SHAPE, the eSRAM and Kinect 2 cost that much?

I mean, this reminds me of simple life facts like going to the store to buy some denim trousers.

The problem with ripped up jeans is similar than the problem with Xbox One to me, price wise.:rolleyes:

I mean, when you go to the store, and look for a pair of denim jeans, and the ones that are torn to shreds are like 90.00€, and the ones without holes are like 20.00€... you wonder, why do they charge more? Are they charging more for the holes? Why can't they let me put my own holes in my denim blue jeans so I can buy them without holes instead?

That's how I feel about that. If any of your clothes get holes in them, you either sew and repair -also sending them to charity might be a good idea-, or people selling them should be more charitable and sell them at a more convenient price.

Even so, what about the GDDR5 and a much powerful GPU? SHAPE, the eSRAM and Kinect 2 cost that much?

I mean, this reminds me of simple life facts like going to the store to buy some denim trousers.

The problem with ripped up jeans is similar than the problem with Xbox One to me, price wise.:rolleyes:

I mean, when you go to the store, and look for a pair of denim jeans, and the ones that are torn to shreds are like 90.00€, and the ones without holes are like 20.00€... you wonder, why do they charge more? Are they charging more for the holes? Why can't they let me put my own holes in my denim blue jeans so I can buy them without holes instead?

That's how I feel about that. If any of your clothes get holes in them, you either sew and repair -also sending them to charity might be a good idea-, or people selling them should be more charitable and sell them at a more convenient price.

I think that's a mistake which many people tend to make which your example points out. Cost of production != sale price.

I'd guess that the XOne APU is probably larger and as a result more expensive.
Kinect is also a significant cost.
But Pachter is basically guessing, Sony has yet to disclose even what is included in the box so there is no way to even estimate a BOM.

The consensus here was that Durango and Orbis probably were really close in silicon area, trading Ms embedded memory for CUs.

The key diference was memory, being GDDR5 >100$ more than Ms DDR3.

Kinect 2 was supposed to be cheaper than 1, no tilt motor, not using primesense this time.

We´re missing something or Patcher is playing for Ms with this :LOL:

But Pachter is basically guessing, Sony has yet to disclose even what is included in the box so there is no way to even estimate a BOM.

That's a good point, and I'm going to speculate that he's guessing as well, and probably not guessing based on any "industry insider" info. The article reads like a pure speculative piece with no actually supporting statements (perhaps by design and the detail is in his full report?). However, given the few remaining variables left (for what's included with the PS4) how much of a difference in BOM could those factors actually make? Are we realistically talking $5, $25 or $125? I'm assuming there's has to be a practical (or likely) upper and lower limit.

There is no f**king way the PSEye has a $50 BOM.

I meant relative to Microsoft and Kinect 3.0. My thinking is that the pricing of each box has far more to do with the competition than the actual BOM. If Microsoft has to deal with a $50 BOM for Kinect and Sony doesn't, that's a $50 price advantage to Sony.

That's a good point, and I'm going to speculate that he's guessing as well, and probably not guessing based on any "industry insider" info. The article reads like a pure speculative piece with no actually supporting statements (perhaps by design and the detail is in his full report?). However, given the few remaining variables left (for what's included with the PS4) how much of a difference in BOM could those factors actually make? Are we realistically talking $5, $25 or $125? I'm assuming there's has to be a practical (or likely) upper and lower limit.

Given that we actually have images of what's actually inside the Xbox One, I would say that the estimate is probably very accurate. I wouldn't expect the BOM prices to be too far off. I'd give them a margin of error of at most 15%.

PS4 is very different, given that we exactly know what is inside like the Xbox One, the margin of error is much larger, but I wouldn't expect anything as wild as 40% off either.

I meant relative to Microsoft and Kinect 3.0. My thinking is that the pricing of each box has far more to do with the competition than the actual BOM. If Microsoft has to deal with a $50 BOM for Kinect and Sony doesn't, that's a $50 price advantage to Sony.

Then that would be Kinect 2 having a $50 BOM, which doesn't translate to PSEye BOMs.

Edit: NVM I think I understood your point now after looking at it more closely.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find the analysis of price based on BOM to be incorrect, simply because history has shown that not to be true. When the price of 2 competing consoles has been close enough to match each other in price cuts (PSOne vs N64, PS2 vs Xbox, latter half of PS3 vs. 360), they always have. Simply because if company A's box is $50 more expensive than company B's box, guess what, less sales! And it's more than worth it to take a $50 loss in 2013 so that person ends up buying hundreds of dollars worth of games and services on your platform over a 4-8 year period.

As such, price of console bears far more relation to your competitors price than BOM does, which is why Sony and MS will play a game of chicken with pricing. I have no doubt both already know the rough cost for each other's console, so the question is how much they are willing to lose in an attempt to screw the other one over.

Then that would be Kinect 2 having a $50 BOM, which doesn't translate to PSEye BOMs.

I'm operating under the assumption that both consoles are going to cost the same. If Microsoft has to spend $50 on Kinect and yet Sony isn't going to include PSEye, then that's a $50 advantage to Sony. PSEye BOM can be whatever, if it's not included in the box, it's never going to sell greater than 50% of install base, and developers will ignore it.

Given that we actually have images of what's actually inside the Xbox One, I would say that the estimate is probably very accurate. I wouldn't expect the BOM prices to be too far off. I'd give them a margin of error of at most 15%.

PS4 is very different, given that we exactly know what is inside like the Xbox One, the margin of error is much larger, but I wouldn't expect anything as wild as 40% off either.

If pachter ever got within 15% it'd be his best guess ever. BOM guesses from places like isupply are only useful in comparison to their own other estimates. The Wii:u costs more than $349 to build according to Nintendo, so anything is possible.

The consensus here was that Durango and Orbis probably were really close in silicon area, trading Ms embedded memory for CUs.

The key diference was memory, being GDDR5 >100$ more than Ms DDR3.

Kinect 2 was supposed to be cheaper than 1, no tilt motor, not using primesense this time.

We´re missing something or Patcher is playing for Ms with this :LOL:

No way it cost more than $100 for the RAM in the PS4.

If pachter ever got within 15% it'd be his best guess ever. BOM guesses from places like isupply are only useful in comparison to their own other estimates. The Wii:u costs more than $349 to build according to Nintendo, so anything is possible.

He is stating $$325 for BOM

15% of that is ~50 USD

I don't think $275~$375 BOM is anywhere out of the ordinary for the Xbox One is it?

*fix for mix up of prices

Im curious why this is. In every modern graphics card for almost 15 years, increases in gddr has raised the price of cards significantly.

My guess is scale, there isn't a GPU out there that approaches the volume even a modestly successful console would bring. The highest volume GPUs stick with DDR3 for both cost and marketing reasons whereas the flagship models with fancy GDDR5 sell in the mere 100s of thousands (tens of thousands for the likes of Titan/6990)

The highest volume GPUs stick with DDR3 for both cost and marketing reasons whereas the flagship models with fancy GDDR5 sell in the mere 100s of thousands (tens of thousands for the likes of Titan/6990)

That hasn't been true for some time. AMD sold over 2 million exclusively GDDR5 HD5750-5970 cards within 4 months of their release.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Sells+...+Celebrates+With+Radeon+Cake/article17349.htm

The low-end DDR3 video card market has now been largely eroded by APU sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back