xbox 360, the huge quality difference, why?

TekkenMaster said:
That looks like it could be between 5 to 10 thousand players on the screen at once.
More like hundreds of thousands (compare with PD0 where u can have 50). Man thats a big contrast. However, if IT IS possible - I'm very impress with next gen.

Huge diffrence . PDZ has 50 diffrent characters. This title seems to have 1 model that is instanced many times to create what looks like a huge army . Those wont be all playable .

Huge diffrence . PDZ has 50 diffrent characters. This title seems to have 1 model that is instanced many times to create what looks like a huge army . Those wont be all playable .[/quote]

That is obvious. But the numbers is just too LARGE. Even with 512mb ram I don't think its possible.

That is obvious. But the numbers is just too LARGE. Even with 512mb ram I don't think its possible.

err why not ? they are all the same models and all the same textures ? Then factor in g.i and vola you have 100k people marching together . Its not hard to imagine

jvd said:

err why not ? they are all the same models and all the same textures ? Then factor in g.i and vola you have 100k people marching together. Its not hard to imagine

So you are actually underwhelmed? Because i find it very impressive if IT IS realtime.

No , i'm neither , I would be very excited if they were all fighting people all in diffrent armor doing stuff. I've known about g.i for a long time and was waiting to see it used for more than just trees in farcry .

TekkenMaster said:
Huge diffrence . PDZ has 50 diffrent characters. This title seems to have 1 model that is instanced many times to create what looks like a huge army . Those wont be all playable .

I think it could be realtime. Remember the LOTR demo ATI did way back when the Radeon 9700 launched? That was realtime, and I'd imagine what MS has now is several times more powerful.

We shouldn't be surprised. I mean we've seen what Konami can achieve with 'realtime cutscenes with game engine' on the miserable PS2.

And yes, realtime game engine or not, these are cutscenes clips, not gameplay clips.

99 Nights picture is from CGI movie. At least, those mass battle scenes and some of the closeups are prerendered for sure (that's where I paid attention). You can see the temporal blur clear as day in those scenes, and the realtime picture of that game just doesn't look as good (even though it looks pretty good)

Gears of War uses Unreal 3 engine and looks great of course, but the framerate seems to be terrible (10-15FPS). So far, it looks like the games that are running at smooth framerate just don't look that great. I'm not saying that's a coincidence, but the game that looks the best, runs really choppy. I hope that's not the representative of how next gen systems will perform under Unreal 3 engine :\

NBA 2K6 looks the part of a next generation game. Packing a generation of difference into only four years would be an accomplishment. Of course, what SEGA pulled off with the DC in just a little over two years after the N64 qualifies as unbelievable, but what the other consoles managed since then proves that these kind of leaps are not something to be expected.

marconelly! said:
99 Nights picture is from CGI movie. At least, those mass battle scenes and some of the closeups are prerendered for sure (that's where I paid attention). You can see the temporal blur clear as day in those scenes, and the realtime picture of that game just doesn't look as good (even though it looks pretty good)

It's a CG. Gamespot has mentioned the studio that did it in one of their articles: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/13/news_6124413.html

Mizuguchi revealed that the trailer was made by professionals from the movie industry, including artists who had worked on The Animatrix and Star Wars: Episode II--Attack of the Cones. He added that gamers should expect more trailers in the coming months

Back to reality I guess. ;)

Fredi

It's a CG. Gamespot has mentioned the studio that did it in one of their articles

So I was right. Jvd, i guess it really was hard to imagine afterall?

wtf2.jpg

DaveBaumann said:
Seriously, quit with the stupid images.
A picture is worth a thousand words. That chimpanzee just saves me from typing up three lengthy paragraphs to convey my immediate profound reactions of the recently proven facts. But if you insists - OK.

In future, just remember that I once did you a favour. ;)

It's ridiculous that everyone is freaking out about everything. The final hardware isn't even available yet. I agree with everyone about not showing PDZ if it was as bad as some people say, but let's relax a little until we see more.

TekkenMaster said:

I think you have that backwards... :!:

On the matter of the image in question, ATI have a demo ("Crowd") of the numbers on animated characters that can be achieved on current hardware:

http://www.ati.com/developer/demos/rx800.html

Obviously, XBOX 360 could achieve more, but eventually it would be at the expense of the pixel shading capabilities of the frame.

TekkenMaster said:
DaveBaumann said:
Seriously, quit with the stupid images.
A picture is worth a thousand words. That chimpanzee just saves me from typing up three lengthy paragraphs to convey my immediate profound reactions of the recently proven facts. But if you insists - OK.

This is not the 13yo IGN message boards. Complete thoughts expressed in paragraph form are appreciated here.

:oops: I think Dave did us all a favor by creating this site.... feel free to disagree with Dave on technical issues or opinions, but cutting remarks about how he wants to operate his forum are not cool. Dave & Co. make B3D the place it is, so lets show some respect for the tight ship they run :)

DaveBaumann said:
On the matter of the image in question, ATI have a demo ("Crowd") of the numbers on animated characters that can be achieved on current hardware:

http://www.ati.com/developer/demos/rx800.html

Obviously, XBOX 360 could achieve more, but it would be at the expense of the pixel shading capabilities of the frame.

Pretty nice demo. 2 Qs Dave and others:

1. Is geometry instancing compatible with ragdoll effects? (Even if it were, making 500 guys w/ independantly moving arms and legs, go flying through the air with ragdolls would be intense on the CPU)

2. Are there any PS shortcuts for GI? You get a lot of nearly free 3D meshes, but what kind of strain does this put on the PS performance? Same as normal or are there some short cuts they have developed to help it be less PS limited?

I think a scene with all those figures look impressive but how practical would it be in terms of gameplay mechanics and realism? Are you going to have your hero hack and slash through thousands of enemies at a time?

God of War got busy at times (and that was on Easy level :p). But they had a couple of cut scenes, obviously not real time, where they're fighting Barbarians or whatever.

Infantry battles fought without air support is mostly about attrition. Greater numbers (assuming comparable tactics) usually wins. So how are you going to have one guy cut through all those enemies?

Or you could make half of them one side, half another. But you can't control more than one guy at a time and the rest, you'd have to depend on the AI. That's not much fun.

But it would be a visually impressive feat to render that many figures with high detail in real time. Just not sure what kind of a game you can make out of that feat.

wco81 said:
I think a scene with all those figures look impressive but how practical would it be in terms of gameplay mechanics and realism? Are you going to have your hero hack and slash through thousands of enemies at a time?

God of War got busy at times (and that was on Easy level :p). But they had a couple of cut scenes, obviously not real time, where they're fighting Barbarians or whatever.

Infantry battles fought without air support is mostly about attrition. Greater numbers (assuming comparable tactics) usually wins. So how are you going to have one guy cut through all those enemies?

Or you could make half of them one side, half another. But you can't control more than one guy at a time and the rest, you'd have to depend on the AI. That's not much fun.

But it would be a visually impressive feat to render that many figures with high detail in real time. Just not sure what kind of a game you can make out of that feat.

Never played Kingdom Under Fire did you? ;)

It was basically a real time strategy hack and slash. You command a group of soldiers, bring them into battle, then you control the army captain/general. You can command several battle groups and bring them into battle. Everyone just fights. You can walk through your own people to make it less difficult to move, but you do fight pretty much everyone. Later on in the game you get artillery and air support. Pretty f'in sweet if you know what you're doing. I have a bunch of screenshots from a review I wrote.

http://www.futurelooks.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/538
http://www.futurelooks.com//?m=show&id=30

I would imagine that an X-fold increase in the numbers would make for just longer, large-scale battles. :p

Back