xbox 360, the huge quality difference, why?

DaveBaumann said:
Final dev kits may not be in the wild yet. There have been compatibility kits, previously, but not held by the devs.

Thanks Dave!

It looked like they had some finished consoles and the specs seem locked. Any word on there being finished console units?

McFly said:
What do you think? Why is the difference between the screenshots of xbox 360 games so huge?

Are some ingame where others are not?

Is the xbox 360 harder for devs than MS wants to make us believe?

What do you think?

Fredi

Some games are "ports " from older systesms like pdz . So while the gameplay is all there because it was worked on for the gc and xbox the art assets and increased polygons are not there as the engine was made for the older systems not x36 0

If true, then the real question would be why would (did) MS demo the least impressive [graphically] game?

I have a feeling its because it was the one that was playable. I Also have a feeling that those shots of Gears of War and Ninty-Nine Nights are CGIs - I mean they are TOO INSANE, I don't even think PS3 can pull it off - not with THAT MANY characters on the field even though they might be recycled.

I mean just look at the picture

post-18-1115970853.jpg

THATS TOO INSANE!!! NO FUCKING WAY NOT EVEN ON A PS4!!!

london-boy said:
Heh, imagine slashing away in a field full of enemies like that.... SCHWEEET. :D

Then along with our more realistic physics we can have some realistic damage modelling and the game can simply become "See how long you can last", we'll all be back in this forum posting "Dude, I managed a whole 18 seconds before being chopped into bloody pieces", "That's amazing, I only managed 7 before the 7,368 enemies nearby noticed my stupidly flashy (player modelled) armour and cut me to ribbons". :)

If they do manage to get fully interactive fields of characters like this though there are going to be some incredible games in the next generation.

Jon Brittan said:
london-boy said:
Heh, imagine slashing away in a field full of enemies like that.... SCHWEEET. :D

Then along with our more realistic physics we can have some realistic damage modelling and the game can simply become "See how long you can last", we'll all be back in this forum posting "Dude, I managed a whole 18 seconds before being chopped into bloody pieces", "That's amazing, I only managed 7 before the 7,368 enemies nearby noticed my stupidly flashy (player modelled) armour and cut me to ribbons". :)

If they do manage to get fully interactive fields of characters like this though there are going to be some incredible games in the next generation.

YUM!

Or a DragonBall kind of game, charge up and shoot an energy blast that kills them in the thousands and creates a huge hole in the environ :oops: There are SO many things you could do.

Wasn't there an exodus when MS bought Rare?

For $375 million, a lot of people could have cashed out at that point.

How much did MS pay for Bungie?

if any of you were around for the XBOX1 launch, you'd remember that Halo was a choppy mess at E3 and XBOX1 looked to be a chugfest. Months later when final hardware was out, everything ran great. MS seems to really come down to the wire on these things.

Ruined said:
if any of you were around for the XBOX1 launch, you'd remember that Halo was a choppy mess at E3 and XBOX1 looked to be a chugfest. Months later when final hardware was out, everything ran great. MS seems to really come down to the wire on these things.

Halo was not "geat" but acceptible in the framereate area. It was much improved from E3. The problem with PD0 is not just the framerate (which chugs under 20fps according to IGN) but also the graphics. Bungie had 5 months to tweak and fine tune the engine to squeeze 5-10fps out of a GREAT looking game. Rare is faced with the same task + making the game look better. You usually subtract features to make the frame rate better, not add.

That said, it looks to be a Rare problem and not an Xbox 360 problem. Gears of War was real time, GR3 was real time, PGR was real time, Condemned was real time. Those all were GREAT looking.

This gen is less about HW power but what developers can do with the power. The systems are more complex (requiring multithreaded environments) and gamers are demanding larger, more detailed, more interactive environments.

Good developers will float. Bad developers will stick out like a soar thumb.

london-boy said:
cybamerc said:
london-boy said:
I think some dev have had more time to work and play around with the devkits than others.
That excuse probably doesn't apply to Rare.

I know, and i'm still wondering why on earth MS paid 350M for them...

bingo! Sell rare now or tell to produce and not on their own sweet time...

PD 0 looked like a direct n64 port

TekkenMaster said:
THATS TOO INSANE!!! NO FUCKING WAY NOT EVEN ON A PS4!!!

Well, considering Kingdom Under Fire on the Xbox, I'd say NNN is possible on X360.

london-boy said:
We're in 2005!!!!!! PS have been around for bloody years!

Not for Playstation 2 developers.
There might be a huge amount of info out there, but turning it into practice is quite the challenge. Many PC game developers also have to go through this - those whose games have no tradition in utilizing cutting edge features, like RTS or MMORPG games...

post-18-1115970853.jpg

I just can't wait to play games like this. I'm drooling now as I type. That looks like it could be between 5 to 10 thousand players on the screen at once.
________
Hijet

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see any other reason they bought it other than to score a PR victory against nintendo, rare's so totally the wrong demographic for xbox it's not even funny. Cute and cuddly's never been the defining image of ms's great slab of plastic of a console...

You think rare is all cute and cuddly ? Rare made conkers bad furday and perfect dark , they also did golden eye. None of those are cute and cuddly . At least not unless i was playing the wrong games

mckmas8808 said:
post-18-1115970853.jpg

I just can't wait to play games like this. I'm drooling now as I type. That looks like it could be between 5 to 10 thousand players on the screen at once.

That brings a tear to my eyes.... *imagens the LOTR soundtrack* :cry:

jvd said:
can't see any other reason they bought it other than to score a PR victory against nintendo, rare's so totally the wrong demographic for xbox it's not even funny. Cute and cuddly's never been the defining image of ms's great slab of plastic of a console...

You think rare is all cute and cuddly ? Rare made conkers bad furday and perfect dark , they also did golden eye. None of those are cute and cuddly . At least not unless i was playing the wrong games

Don't forget Killer Instinct. :)

That looks like it could be between 5 to 10 thousand players on the screen at once.
More like hundreds of thousands (compare with PD0 where u can have 50). Man thats a big contrast. However, if IT IS possible - I'm very impress with next gen.

Back