Xbox 360 Sales Data

Powderkeg said:
Why?

It's been a steady trend that has lasted over 20 years without letting up. Why would it surprise you to see it continue?

What would surprise me is if it magically reversed itself all just because Nintendo made a neeto controller and rereleased a ton of really old games.

Somehow it seems to work for the DS...

DFC looked at company growth between February and December 2005 and found that of the "big three", Nintendo experienced the largest increase in market value - which rose by 15 per cent to USD 18.6 billion. Sony and Microsoft saw an increase of 7 and 1 per cent respectively.

Things aren't looking so good for Electronic Arts, however - the publishing giant's market value fell by 17 per cent over the course of the year, dropping from USD 19.4 billion to USD 16.2 billion. Take-Two also had a difficult year, with market value falling by 24 per cent, but the biggest loser was Atari - the company is now valued at just USD 154m compared to USD 330m in February 2005.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13814

I really think they can sell a lot of those machines. Simple Controller + Software = Fun.

Cue Saturday 31 December 2005. What are the games I can bring with me that everybody wants to play?

Samba De Amigo and Donkey Konga...

Evil_Cloud said:
Quite worthless if you don't take productivity in account. European countries like Belgium and Germany are among the most productive ones in the world.

I'd rather say that lower taxes on both income and consumption cause Americans to have more disposable income, and the fact that they don't save as much as in other countries.

Where I live, we pay about 46% taxes on our income, and 21% taxes on luxery goods.
Taking productivity into account? I work with a team in Europe all the time. They are no more and no less productive than my team, or other groups that I work with in the states. The only difference is that during summer everyone leaves for a month on "holiday".

I agree with your latter point: less savings, less taxes, more consumer oriented market in the US.

.Sis

Powderkeg said:
The DS is not a console and does not compete in the console market and isn't targeting the same demographic as console gamers.

Nintendo is actually targetting their next-gen console at the same demographic of their DS customers.

There is overlap, of course, with "traditional" console demographic.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS !
(That's really annoying, just don't answer people with a red square if it sounds remotely like a troll post.)

Sis said:
Taking productivity into account? I work with a team in Europe all the time. They are no more and no less productive than my team, or other groups that I work with in the states. The only difference is that during summer everyone leaves for a month on "holiday".

I agree with your latter point: less savings, less taxes, more consumer oriented market in the US.

.Sis

I was speaking about a number of European countries, not Europe as a whole.

And I am sure what you say is true, but overall statistics point out that some European countries can be counted with the most productive countries in the world, doing better than the United States, at least if what I recall reading from the newspaper today was correct. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i don't know about Europe, but a recent study calculated that in the UK, we spend 7 hours in a working day making and drinking tea, having cigarettes, talking about football or last night's TV, out of a 8 hour day.

So it's quite amazing that Sony UK studios actually get the games out of the door!!

;)

Joe DeFuria said:
Nintendo is actually targetting their next-gen console at the same demographic of their DS customers.

There is overlap, of course, with "traditional" console demographic.

Which is precisely why it will sell even less than the Gamecube did with it's GBA tie-in.

What you are basically telling me is they are going to ensure that the only reason to own one is 1st party games, in which case, the only people who will buy one are established hardcore Nintendo fans. That indicates that they will lose even more marketshare, not gain it.

It's funny to see so many people brag about getting the Revolution as a second system. Nails in the coffin. The vast majority of the persons money will be spent on a different system and they will probably only buy 1st party titles which means more 3rd party developers will drop support which means fewer casuals will find something interesting to play, which means reduced sales.

Show me something new, not something that they've already tried and failed at. Simply claiming they are targeting a different demographic is self destructive.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2006/01/03/microsoft-xbox-0103markets02.html
Microsoft's Xbox 360 Has Bumpy Quarter
Kate Tomassi, 01.03.06, 10:59 AM ET

“Xbox 360, what’s the holdup?â€￾ asked Goldman Sachs analyst Rick Sherlund ahead of a meeting with Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week.

"It is clear that something disrupted the supply of Xbox 360 shipments in the quarter, and there does not appear to be any end of year catch-up in shipments,â€￾ the analyst said in a report issued Monday.

Sherlund said the actual unit shipments of Xbox 360 are difficult to quantify. He believes Microsoft may have shipped only about 1.3 million units for the quarter, based on preannouncements from Gamestop (nyse: GME - news - people ), Electronic Arts (nasdaq: ERTS - news - people ) and Activision (nasdaq: ATVI - news - people ).

Powderkeg said:
Which is precisely why it will sell even less than the Gamecube did with it's GBA tie-in.

No. They're targeting a new market. And the DS shows it can be done.

Unlike all PSP ******s predicted a year ago.

We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
pipo said:
No. They're targetting a new market. And the DS shows it can be done.

I think the DS's success is more a result of Nintendo's mindshare and strong presence with their entire handheld dominance rather than their innovatice 2 screens. If anything, it's PSP that is targeting a new market / segment, one consisting of older players, technology geeks and primarely PlayStation owners.

I see Revolution doing well because it's targeting a new market - or at the very least will be successfull in being the 2nd choice to a potential PS3 or Xbox360 since it offers something different.

I'm not talking about the two screens. It's the interface.

Non-gamers are not comfortable with a classic PS2 / Xbox / whatever controller...

Iwata reflected on the the push for a new gaming ideal, "Touch Generations," which is better represented by the games that all generations can pick up and play, no matter the age or gender, such as best-sellers like Nintendogs and Brain Training.

Another interesting statistic that was touched upon was the fact that female gamers accounted for 40% of Nintendogs sales. Similarly, roughly 30% of the female gaming population were proven consumers within the "Touch Generations" ideal.

Also of note was that the age group of 25-34 accounted for the largest group of "Touch Generations" buyers. Combine this with the notion that Brain Training continues to sell at an increasing rate every week, analysts can understand why the Nintendo DS has gradually proved itself sucessful within the portable game industry in the Land of the Rising Sun. Even Nintendogs' sales refuse to falter.

http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2594

do u guy ever wonder the pricing of the DS might be the factor that outsell the PSP.For example the DS might be selling around $AUD 199 but the psp is selling at $AUD 349, and excuse me for the Australian dollar since i lived in Australia and that is the retailer price for both system down here.

Xbox 360 sells 129,000 units in one month in the UK
PSP 795,000
DS 800,000
Xbox 265,00
PS2 1.2 Miliion.

Seems to me in the UK at least the 360 numbers are fairly impressive considering the shortages.

http://www.mcvuk.com/

Not enough

Pugger said:
PSP 795,000
DS 800,000
Xbox 265,00
PS2 1.2 Miliion.

Seems to me in the UK at least the 360 numbers are fairly impressive considering the shortages.

I think only problem for Xbox360 sales is not enough available. Maybe if more Xbox360 is there more will be sold no problem.

Pugger said:
PSP 795,000
DS 800,000
Xbox 265,00
PS2 1.2 Miliion.

Are those UK sales numbers?! You're telling me that just in the UK, all those consoles were sold at Xmas?? That's a LOT of consoles!! Can't be right.

EDIT: Oh ok it's the whole year...
The rival handhelds from Nintendo and Sony were almost neck and neck, with DS notching up around 800,000 units and PSP 795,000 – although PSP was launched around six months after DS.

As expected, PSP is doing VERY well in the UK...

London the 360 is 1 month sales the others are yearly. Sorry for the confusion. ihamoitc2005 the 360 numbers are impressive no matter what the the availability. Remember the PSP and DS were in short supply before Xmas and Sony gave themselves 9 months lead time for the UK launch to sort the numbers out.

Back