Xbox 360 Sales Data

scooby_dooby said:
They are already going to gain huge marketshares in EU and NA, simply because of the quality of product they are selling, and the addition of some quality JRPG's and developer support from Japan would be icing on the cake.

EU?

I would not be so fast with those predictions. EU is almost as good as Japan for Sony, PS2 is ~70-75% of the market.

The arguments that applied in Japan apply to the EU, I doubt the 360 will gain anywhere near "huge" market share in the EU if things stay as they are.

The 360 will undoubtedly gain share in NA, but those other markets are very debateable.

Disagree with IGN

scooby_dooby said:
It got 9/10 from IGN for GFX.

"Blinx is one of the prettiest games on Xbox. With stunning lighting, rich color, and amazing details, Blinx can buy me dinner anytime. Not only are the worlds attractive, but all of them seem unique to the game. The entire look and feel of Blinx comes off as original.

...If anything, the only real problem with Blinx visually is the slowdown. Though he runs fast and fluid for a while, later levels, when Blinx takes on five and six baddies at a time, the game noticeably slows down. And no, I wasn't using a time power when it happened. This slowdown is too often and too noticeable to let slide. It's a flaw and one that needs mentioning. Otherwise, Blinx is in the running for best-looking game of the year on Xbox. "
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/372/372414p5.html

I feel Blinx2 has too many problems with graphics and also control is not smooth. Look is ok, lighting is ok, many colors is maybe best feature but background is simple for platform style game and textures not so great (sometimes it is bad) for 30fps Xbox game. Characters also not so detailed. Frame-rate with enemies is really bad so animation and control is also bad. It is really bad to play Ninja Gaiden or Jak3 with super-smooth animation and control first and Blinx2 second.

mckmas8808 said:
Or Nintendo. Think about it. If Sony has 55% of the market and MS has 30%, that would leave Nintendo with only 15% of the market. If you ask me that would be a failure on Nintendo's part and not Sony.

And to me if MS doesn't think they can take Japan, then they shouldn't say it. They should say "we will try to be compete on a much larger scale" or "we will be worlds different this gen than last gen" or something to that effect. imo of course.

Whats the market share Sony has now in JP? If they go frmo 85% to 55%, well then thats bad. And yeah i think its bad for nintendo too but at the time we werent including them in the discussion. :)

Its all posturing. Theyll say what they think they need to say in order to create their desired public perception. I'm sure Sony and nintendo has said things they dont really think are true in order to present the image they want, and I dont blame any of the 3 for doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
All MS needs to do with japan this generation is EXPAND, they need to show that JRPG's can sell well to the 360 fanbase, that's all. No more, no less. They are already going to gain huge marketshares in EU and NA, simply because of the quality of product they are selling, and the addition of some quality JRPG's and developer support from Japan would be icing on the cake.

What would you consider gaining a huge marketshare? Like around what kind of percentage?

avaya said:
EU?

I would not be so fast with those predictions. EU is almost as good as Japan for Sony, PS2 is ~70-75% of the market.

The arguments that applied in Japan apply to the EU, I doubt the 360 will gain anywhere near "huge" market share in the EU if things stay as they are.

The 360 will undoubtedly gain share in NA, but those other markets are very debateable.

EU is very price sensitive. I expect MS to gain huge shares in EU not only cause of the much improved game lineup and developer support, but due to the first ever worldwide launch, and a extremely low pricepoint (historically)

I guess we'll have to see if Sony wants to actually cut europeans a break this time around, if they continue as they have previous generations (overpricing and launching late) then I see no reason 360 does not make excellent gains.

mckmas8808 said:
What would you consider gaining a huge marketshare? Like around what kind of percentage?

like double their current installed base in all regions, putting them at roughly 40% worldwide... if I had to pick #'s, that seems about reasonable

scooby_dooby said:
like double their current installed base in all regions, putting them at roughly 40% worldwide... if I had to pick #'s, that seems about reasonable

But if they double their installed base in all regions that would put them close to 50 million 360's sold at the end of its lifespan. So I guess you are assuming that Sony will sell less consoles in all regions, while Nintendo sales about the same in all regions right?

scooby_dooby said:
EU is very price sensitive. I expect MS to gain huge shares in EU not only cause of the much improved game lineup and developer support, but due to the first ever worldwide launch, and a extremely low pricepoint (historically)
i agree that europe is price-sensitive:

originally the xbox was sold at 469 € (it would amount to 554 USD today), which was well above the 299 USD price.

unlike the PS2 which was originally sold at 450 €, at this price the xbox failed to meet its audience and after some weeks of abysmal sales microsoft had to lower the price to 299 € buyers at 469 € were given some games.

but the xbox 360 pricepoint isn't lower as you have to pay the same 299 € (353 USD) for the diskless version, and 399 € (471 USD) for the premium, which is not a bad price compared to US.

Why is Europe considered 'price sensitive' when the US gets everything cheaper?! The fact a piece of kit doesn't sell as well over here because it's priced at 20+% more than elsewhere makes the EU no more price sensitive than elsewhere. If anything the EU is less sensitive then elsewhere. Dumb shmucks are willing to buy the same goods at higher prices.

Shifty Geezer said:
Why is Europe considered 'price sensitive' when the US gets everything cheaper?! The fact a piece of kit doesn't sell as well over here because it's priced at 20+% more than elsewhere makes the EU no more price sensitive than elsewhere. If anything the EU is less sensitive then elsewhere. Dumb shmucks are willing to buy the same goods at higher prices.

Consumption is a smaller part of the economy in the EU than in the US.

Europeans actually save, or at least a lot more than Americans.

Of course, the Japanese and Asians save a lot (and are lending us debt-riddled Americans) but they do spend a lot on games.

Disposable income

scooby_dooby said:
In general North Americans have more disposable income, cheaper goods(relative to wages), and higher wages.

Two reasons for high disposable income is lower tax and higher debt, or another form of expressing same thought is cost of living is "deferred" to future.

ihamoitc2005 said:
Two reasons for high disposable income is lower tax and higher debt, or another form of expressing same thought is cost of living is "deferred" to future.

Americans also work more hours than their European counterparts which explains more disposable income.

_439786_barjob.gif

mckmas8808 said:
But if they double their installed base in all regions that would put them close to 50 million 360's sold at the end of its lifespan. So I guess you are assuming that Sony will sell less consoles in all regions, while Nintendo sales about the same in all regions right?

Factoring in the natural growth of the gaming market as a whole for that timeframe it would probably be no more than a 15% loss of marketshare for Sony world-wide.

That's not unreasonable.

And frankly, I expect Nintendo to lose some of their userbase, just like they have every single generation since the NES.

Powderkeg said:
And frankly, I expect Nintendo to lose some of their userbase, just like they have every single generation since the NES.

That would really surprise me...

Pozer said:
Americans also work more hours than their European counterparts which explains more disposable income.
House prices will account more for disposable income than anything in UK. We pay stupid prices just to stay alive :(

Magnum PI said:
i agree that europe is price-sensitive:

originally the xbox was sold at 469 € (it would amount to 554 USD today), which was well above the 299 USD price.

unlike the PS2 which was originally sold at 450 €, at this price the xbox failed to meet its audience and after some weeks of abysmal sales microsoft had to lower the price to 299 € buyers at 469 € were given a

but the xbox 360 pricepoint isn't lower as you have to pay the same 299 € (353 USD) for the diskless version, and 399 € (471 USD) for the premium, which is not a bad price compared to US.

especialy if you consider the european prices include 20% tax in that price

pipo said:
That would really surprise me...

Why?

It's been a steady trend that has lasted over 20 years without letting up. Why would it surprise you to see it continue?

What would surprise me is if it magically reversed itself all just because Nintendo made a neeto controller and rereleased a ton of really old games.

Pozer said:

_439786_barjob.gif

Quite worthless if you don't take productivity in account. European countries like Belgium and Germany are among the most productive ones in the world.

I'd rather say that lower taxes on both income and consumption cause Americans to have more disposable income, and the fact that they don't save as much as in other countries.

Where I live, we pay about 46% taxes on our income, and 21% taxes on luxery goods.

Back