Xbox 360 HDMI Capable

Guden Oden said:
What on earth are you talking about? HDMI isn't even remotely technically similar to composite video, so how it could display composite-like fuzziness around bright corners is rather puzzling to me. I can only conclude your testing methodology, testing equipment or both was flawed.

As has been stated numerous times by now, HDMI is a fully digital format and technically identical to DVI. It doesn't have any problem with fuzzyness around bright corners, in fact it doesn't have any problem with fuzzyness anywhere. Hook up a flat panel to any PC over DVI, set the resolution to the panel's native res and look for yourself. Even if you rely on the screen's video scaler to adjust screen resolution to the panel's resolution, the fuzz will not be any worse around bright areas than dim, and naturally, the scaler will fuzz up the graphics to a similar degree regardless of if input is DVI/HDMI or component, as by that point the data is digital anyway and looks all the same to the scaler regardless of its source. Actually, fuzz should be slightly less with DVI, as the extra DA-AD conversion steps needed for component input won't be present in the digital connection.

Should be yes, but not all implementations of all connectors are done properly. For isntance there are plenty of DVD players whose Dgitial outputs show Y/C delay whereas the component connectors do not and actually have better frequency response.

Also, in order to really receive the benefit of a digital connection you need to be using a fixed-pixel display device. If you have a CRT-based HD set youre converting that signal to analog at the output stage anyway so component could very well be the better choise here, depending on your source device and the circuitry inside your TV.

The big issue here is not picture quality becuase i have spent many hours A/B'ing HDMI vs. component on a 110" screen using an HD projector and damned if i could ever reliably pick which was which.

The problem here will be the 360s ability to play HD content that would require an HDCP compliant connection. That includes streamed, wmvhd discs, etc.

The guilty until proven innocent theory is unfair so until we get an official word one way or the other lets just leave it as 'we dont know'. Unless an offical word has come down already?

The last thing i remember hearing was Todd Holdahl sayign something to the effect of "when the time is right for HDMI we will offer it". Whether thats another sku or some add-on or just another cable i dunno. However, imo, It would be a mistake though if there was NO way these 360s would be unable to send HDCP required HD video.

That same Pelican accessory has been doing the rounds for some time now, and it's the only one I've seen so far to claim HDMI connectivity for the Xbox 360. Yet there are no specifications for it and google only turns up more e-tailers with the same 'anonymous' cable. The product code 'PL-3618' seems to conform to the component cable rather than HDMI cable when searched for separately.

Just throwing it out there, but Madcatz manufactured an S-Video cable for the Gamecube here in Europe when the European Gamecubes don't even support S-Video signals. It's not unheard of for a manufacturer to develop cables before specifications are finalised.

Mmmkay said:
That same Pelican accessory has been doing the rounds for some time now, and it's the only one I've seen so far to claim HDMI connectivity for the Xbox 360. Yet there are no specifications for it and google only turns up more e-tailers with the same 'anonymous' cable. The product code 'PL-3618' seems to conform to the component cable rather than HDMI cable when searched for separately.

Just throwing it out there, but Madcatz manufactured an S-Video cable for the Gamecube here in Europe when the European Gamecubes don't even support S-Video signals. It's not unheard of for a manufacturer to develop cables before specifications are finalised.

I doubt its real but it seems odd that someone would write a whole description of the product that clearly describes HDMI, for a cable that doesnt exist?

Who says specs arent finalized? The console has shipped, wouldnt specs be finalized and communicated to accessory makers?

EDIT: Also odd that, as you mention above, a search reveals several other well-known chains will be selling this cabe and list is as HDMI with a description descripibing as such on a few of them...very odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
robofunk said:
The picture is of a component cable, while the description is of HDMI. Interesting if true.

Yea, just what the heck is going on? Is there a hidden HDMI connector in there (unlikely) or is the description wrong or is the picture wrong (i.e. it's the wrong picture and that one is meant for the Component Cable)?

The description is a "HDMI Component cable"
Either there is a HDMI connector included together with the component connectors, or the Best Buy just doesn't know what HDMI and component really are, thinkin they are the same because component is HD-compatible.

My guess is that they simply confused HDMI with HD. This bodes well for people looking for advice from BestBuy. ;)

Mmmkay said:

Well just view the enlarged image and read the writing on teh package. It's not HDMI it's just component. It says:

"HD Component cable for XBOX 360"

Also, I think it's pretyy obvious MS will release an HDMI cable sooner or later, probably sooner. Why wouldn't they? Does anyone think this hasn't occured to them?

scooby_dooby said:
Also, I think it's pretyy obvious MS will release an HDMI cable sooner or later, probably sooner. Why wouldn't they? Does anyone think this hasn't occured to them?

Obvious? If so then all the hubbub about it not, was seemingly worthless.

Actually I don't think it's as clear cut as you make out. No one here has any firm proof that the first rev of the 360 can actually support a Digital signal out without some sort of ADC.

Ty said:
Actually I don't think it's as clear cut as you make out. No one here has any firm proof that the first rev of the 360 can actually support a Digital signal out without some sort of ADC.
Replace "some sort of ADC" by "TSMC transmitter" and you are correct.

Don't take it for you, but it has been said several times here : if you want digital out (be it DVI or HDMI), there is a requirement : this chip. A HDMI or DVI cable only is not enough ...

This is like wanting analog cable without ADC to perform the digital to analog conversion on the CG.

Well MS has stated they wil release HDMI support when"the time is right" or something to that affect.

Given that statement, either the current SKU can support an HDMI cable, which would be the smart way to do it, OR they'd have to release an upgraded SKU which is moronic.

I agree with you ...

As the situation is very unclear to me (i need more "this is what we will do" instead of we'll go when "the time is right"), and as oblivion has been postponed, i'll think about buying the Xbox360 when "the time is right".

I have no idea if the 360 supports HDMI or not, but for gaming it doesn't matter a jot. If you want the 360 in HD you will have to use component inputs for now. As for the UK, nearly all HD TV's have component inputs, in fact many good quality CRT Tv's have compnent inputs, I have the Panasonic PD30/(50) it has component inputs and plays both progressive NTSC and PAL.

Guden Oden, I think what the poster was getting at was HDMI isn't all it what its cracked up to be for image quality. Yes its digital so there no analogue conversion however your HD TV will use it own digital conversion to scale and process the data so digital to digital transfer takes place. Some HD TV even take the data back to analogue and back to digital. And remember if data in the digital single is lost its lost for good. I have just purchased a 37 inch Panasonic PV500 and after extensive testing in shop I put the money down. I tested the thing as much as I could and watching HDef demo's through HDMI or component was amazing, the difference's? Really I struggled to find anything, one of the demonstraters, thought the component pictures was slightly richer in colour but in reality I couldn't see a thing to seperate them. HDMI is important for watching movies for sure, it isn't important for gaming.

Pugger said:
Guden Oden, I think what the poster was getting at was HDMI isn't all it what its cracked up to be for image quality.
I think so too, and he is mistaken for the reasons given in my previous post.

Yes its digital so there no analogue conversion however your HD TV will use it own digital conversion to scale and process the data so digital to digital transfer takes place.
Nothing that has anything to do with DVI/HDMI itself though. If the scaler creates a bad image, then blame the scaler, not the interconnect.

expletive said:
Who says specs arent finalized? The console has shipped, wouldnt specs be finalized and communicated to accessory makers?

Sorry for not being clear, it's what I get for posting tired. I meant that Pelican may have drafted the cable design before the Xbox 360 specs were finalised.

If you Google "Pelican PL-3618" the cable is described as being a "10' HD Component Cable X360" at most other sites.

rabidrabbit said:
The description is a "HDMI Component cable"
Either there is a HDMI connector included together with the component connectors, or the Best Buy just doesn't know what HDMI and component really are, thinkin they are the same because component is HD-compatible.

The BB website is just screwed up, they have a picture of the component cables with the VGA cable description. The fact that other sites have the hdmi cable as well as the detailed description of an hdmi cable leads me to believe that it truly is hdmi and not just component.

If the 360 is digitally capable, Microsoft may be waiting until after launch to release an HDMI cable, due to their cost if they were to add it to the system.

They may have determined that people would be dissatisfied getting only component in a HD capable system.

So now if the release it after the fact, we are just thankful that it supports the feature, even though we paid for the cable ourselves.

Just one possibility- though the whole digital support thing is unlikely.

Could be MS is trying to avoid complaints about whether or not an HDMI cable should be included in the premium bundle. This wya they just wait it out and sell a bunch of HDMI cables at a later date... Wrong but possible.

What information are a lot of you basing 'digital support is unlikely' on? IS there technical information on or jsut the absence of stating it it DOES support it?

Back