Very Interesting Xbox 360 Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sorry, the fact something sells is only an indication that "some" peole are willing to pay for it. If a wifi adapter is priced at $500, i'm sure a couple thousand people would buy. Therefore it would selling, and by your definition, $500 would be the right price.

The idea that just because something 'sells' it's the correct value it ridiculous, it may sell 10x's more at a lower price, indicating the lower price was more along the lines of being the correct value.

Joe already answered this question.

If you want to be pedandtic about it:

"As long as stuff sells with the volumes that MS has targetted, the price is right."

I assumed that bolded part would be implicitly understood.

No sorry, the fact something sells is only an indication that "some" peole are willing to pay for it. If a wifi adapter is priced at $500, i'm sure a couple thousand people would buy. Therefore it would selling, and by your definition, $500 would be the right price.

The idea that just because something 'sells' it's the correct value it ridiculous, it may sell 10x's more at a lower price, indicating the lower price was more along the lines of being the correct value.

For example, GOW could be $500, it would sell a tiny fraction of what it sells now, but it would still sell, would that then make $500 the correct value for GOW? I think the flaw in this logic is pretty obvious.

I will capitulate to your above point but you are picking nits there as what you are saying is obvious. By "selling" we (I) mean, of course enough units to be a profitable and worthwhile investment as well as meet the long term goals of the product placement.

that's why MS is doing this surrvey! ... to find the number that reaches the largest market at the price that most will be willing to pay. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will capitulate to your above point but you are picking nits there as what you are saying is obvious. By "selling" we (I) mean, of course enough units to be a profitable and worthwhile investment as well as meet the long term goals of the product placement.

that's why MS is doing this surrvey! ... to find that number that reaches the largest market at the price that most will be willing to pay. :)

Fine, but I still maintain that in my view the peripherals are overpriced, and that it's lame that they are not allowing 3rd party wireless peripherals.

I also think MS will learn this lesson when they try to get mainstream gamers to pay $60-70 for a controller, $100 for a dongle, or $100 for a 20gb HDD. If they don't sort it out it will hurt overall sales when people compare to PS3 and it's open policy(read: much cheaper) 3rd party peripherals and storage options.

Why would people criticize scooby_dooby for talking about Xbox 360's non-functioning d-pad ? As a basic feature, it's expected to work but it doesn't. As a customer, he has the right to complain (although may be more effective if directed at Xbox 360's customer support).

If all the PS3 controller d-pad is faulty, I'm sure PS3 customers will make sure they are heard too.

EDIT:
Ok back on topic, it's an interesting survey indeed. I also recently heard form a reliable source that MS has licensed some 3D navigation IP from an established peripheral company. So they may introduce a Wii, SIXAXIS-like controller next year too.

MS is extremely aggressive recently. They want their platforms to spread far and deep (to build exclusive base for their content/media business). I was told they introduced very attractive/rewarding OEM pricing and deals to encourage partners to expand their OS/platform footprints. For Zune, they are even revenue sharing the hardware device sale with music companies to gain an entry into the iPod+iTunes stronghold.

Looks like they are waking up ! But still... please fix the d-pad buttons as scooby_dooby and many others complained here.

The first thing I noticed in the OP was 'improved D-pad' and was immediately WTF? So there's a problem with the current D-pad? And MS is aware of the problem? And they want to sell you a new controller at a premium that fixes the problem?

This is the first I've ever heard of it. I'd be furious. I don't think anybody is being critical of Scoob for complaining about the above. The only commentary I've read on the issue are questions about why Scoob hasn't returned his controller to get a functioning one if it doesn't work.

Of course it works.

You forgot 3:

3) Sell his 360 and buy something else that "meets his definition of value" for a gaming experience.

That's a very simple solution. Why doesn't he just do it? My guess...he believes there is enough value in his 360 gaming experience as a whole to continue on.

Again..by definition, if you buy it, you believe it's worth it.

I buy milk at 3 dollars a gallon too. But that doesn't mean I won't stock up on a milk sale when it's 2 dollars a gallon. If people buy something at a certain price makes it right, then more people buying it at a lower price makes it more right? RIGHT? That is, if your basing the "rightness" of the price on the fact that people are buying.

The only commentary I've read on the issue are questions about why Scoob hasn't returned his controller to get a functioning one if it doesn't work.

I thought people are saying all of the controller d-pads s*ck, so there's no point in buying new ones (Some tried) ?

The only commentary I've read on the issue are questions about why Scoob hasn't returned his controller to get a functioning one if it doesn't work.

It functions, it just doesn't function well. Like, try playing Mortal Kombat sometime. Returning it will do nothing, as it's fundamental problem with the controlller, that's why the new version has a new improved Dpad losted as an actual feature.

MS should be improving the DPad on all their controllers, not leaving the base controller crappy, and charging extra money to get something that works properly.

It's really not a big deal, but it really rubs me the wrong way.

The first thing I noticed in the OP was 'improved D-pad' and was immediately WTF? So there's a problem with the current D-pad? And MS is aware of the problem? And they want to sell you a new controller at a premium that fixes the problem?

This is the first I've ever heard of it. I'd be furious. I don't think anybody is being critical of Scoob for complaining about the above. The only commentary I've read on the issue are questions about why Scoob hasn't returned his controller to get a functioning one if it doesn't work.

it works fine IMO for most every game since they use the analog sticks for control and only the D pad for item usage and other selection actions.

where it becomes dicey is for use in some acrade games where people like/use the Dpad.. it does not "feel" as good in useage as the old type d pads.

it works fine IMO for most every game since they use the analog sticks for control and only the D pad for item usage and other selection actions.

where it becomes dicey is for use in some acrade games where people like/use the Dpad.. it does not "feel" as good in useage as the old type d pads.

It was pretty annoying in Oblivion too, anytime a game uses all 8 directions it cause problems. If a game sticks to just up, down, left, right, it's fine but the diagonals are sketchy.

I don't understand where you guys equate an "improved d-pad" with the original having a "defective d-pad". If it is defective Microsoft would be require to replace it and/or offer a recall. Just admit that the d-pad on the Xbox 360 is not your "cup of tea", but that doesn't mean it's defective or mal-functioning. I remember Microsoft saying that they improved on the S Controller for a much wider audience to make it easier to use. Unfortunately for a small percentage of hard-core gamers it's not up to their requirements. "Different strokes for different folks." Scooby if you don't like d-pad on the the controllers please do us a big favor and replace them or complain directly to Microsoft. Complaining in here ain't doing you, me or anybody else any good. BTW, for somebody likes to play games on the Xbox 360, you bitch way too much. Just be glad you can afford one. I've been wanting one since before it ever came out and I still won't be able to afford one till probably a price drop next year. I guess you could send me yours since it has caused you SO much grief. :rolleyes:

Tommy McClain

Just admit that the d-pad on the Xbox 360 is not your "cup of tea",

Just admit the Dpad is shit and quit playing word games.

This has caused me no grief whatsoever, read my initial posts in this thread, I simply feel the peripheral pricing is too high in general, and most rationale people agree.

The upgraded D pad thing is just the icing on the cake, maybe they should concentrate of fixing the initial problem instead of selling us a 'fixed' version at a premium price. It's a joke.

This has caused me no grief whatsoever, read my initial posts in this thread, I simply feel the peripheral pricing is too high in general, and most rationale people agree.

Then sell your 360 and go out and buy a PS3 tomorrow that presumably has the peripheral pricing you "like".

What's the problem?

Then sell your 360 and go out and buy a PS3 tomorrow that presumably has the peripheral pricing you "like".

What's the problem?
Does PS3 play GeoW and Halo3 and Pinata and all the other XB360 exclusives? Does PS3 connect to his MCE PC for streaming his media? How much money would Scooby get for his 2nd hand XB360 to put towards a PS3 that doesn't play the games he wants? The PS3 would cost more and still not tick all the boxes. The cheapest solution Scooby has to get what he wants is to spend (possibly) $70 on a new controller, knowing that the same controller could (probably) be sold at $50 and still make the company selling it a profit, and knowning that the only reason they're charging higher is because there's no alternative for the people they're charging and so they'll likely pay up.

Does PS3 play GeoW and Halo3 and Pinata and all the other XB360 exclusives? Does PS3 connect to his MCE PC for streaming his media?

For that matter...can you buy a PS3 now? And for what price?

Thanks for proving my point. :!:

The "value" of the 360 is tied to much more than simply the price of peripherals. I said it before...MS launched a machine with similar capability to the PS3 (for example) a year earlier. MS is going to have to make their money somewhere. So....think of the whole picture. You may be paying a few bucks more more for some peripherals, but then ask yourself it that's worth it considering the REASONS WHY you bought a 360 in the first place.

To play those exclusive titles...stream your video...and do it NOW and with a cheaper outlay than a PS3.

Understand yet?

...knowing that the same controller could (probably) be sold at $50 and still make the company selling it a profit...

Really? You know what it would take MS to turn a profit (not simply on the controller, but the Xbox gaming division as a whole)? I doubt you have any clue. (Nor do I for that matter, so we defer to MS.)

... and knowning that the only reason they're charging higher is because there's no alternative for the people they're charging and so they'll likely pay up.

WRONG.

There is an alternative like I said. Simply don't buy it and stop supporting the 360. If, by the way, people DO just "pay up" (in the volumes that MS targets)...then guess what? MS priced it correctly. Get over it.

Understand yet?
Yes, and I understood you point from the very beginning, but you appear to only understand the economic POV and not the other ways to measure worth and value. Which, as I've said, aren't topics for the Console Forum.
Get over it.
Get over what? Get over my opinions and instead subscribe to yours? This is a negative comment that contributes zip to intelligent discussion - of which there's been a fair bit in this thread.

I'll leave you lot to carry on arguing. I can see there's different POVs here but they're not going to be debatable as there's entrenched ideals, and the thread should, IMO, be left here. What else is going to be added, except more 't's not worth it', 'yes it is', 'no it isn't' posts?

Yes, and I understood you point from the very beginning, but you appear to only understand the economic POV and not the other ways to measure worth and value. Which, as I've said, aren't topics for the Console Forum.

Right...so...bithcing and moaning about the price of peripherals is "acceptable", but taking a larger view is not. Got it.

Get over what? Get over my opinions and instead subscribe to yours? This is a negative comment that contributes zip to intelligent discussion - of which there's been a fair bit in this thread.

Let me guess...the "intelligent" discussion focuses on on looking at technical capabilities of two controllers, and price, and determining which is better.

And "off track" discussion talks about looking at the big picture.

Whatever you say.

What else is going to be added, except more 't's not worth it', 'yes it is', 'no it isn't' posts?

Don't know...but when people (scooby, a couple posts up) claim that "most rational people" agree that certain peripherals are priced too high...I will continue to defend and explain my position. That OK with you?

I wonder what Sooby would say if I said "most rational people" agree that MS should not have lauched their console a year earlier, and the console price should be higher. In addition, MS should not sign up for exclusive deals for their console...

Does that make sense to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back