Writing of drivers for graphic chips

risko

Newcomer
Maybe my question is bit stupid, but do anyone of you know how to write drivers like Catalyst or Detonator for graphic chips? Naturaly, I don't want to write my own drivers, I only want to know the procedure. How do this the guys from ATI/nVidia?

I'd say jPaana and OpenGL guy would be right persons talk about this, if they just are allowed...

and don't ask for who jPaana has been writing drivers... I most likely already told enough to cause a small havok. ;)

Writing drivers for GPUs, Paul, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...

risko said:
Maybe my question is bit stupid, but do anyone of you know how to write drivers like Catalyst or Detonator for graphic chips? Naturaly, I don't want to write my own drivers, I only want to know the procedure. How do this the guys from ATI/nVidia?
It's not much different from any other device driver, except that there's a lot more state to maintain than for most devices (some devices are even stateless). Download the Linux source code and you can check out how device drivers are written. That should give you the basics.

MuFu said:
Writing drivers for GPUs, Paul, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...

A very nasty and unappealing task eh? Thanks MuFu. And I was so looking forward to writing Cat 5.0s. :(

i dont know about writing drivers, but it is sure interesting how driver files interact with one another especially with other dlls (such as gdi32.dll for example ;) )

Thank you for replying, especially you OpenGL guy. You idea with Linux's source code is quite interesting. Thanks.

MuFu said:

I was just trying to think what Swiss Tony would add on to that.... how about...

.... sometimes you've got to get down to the low level and keep track of your bits, especially for embedded hardware.

Simon F said:
MuFu said:

I was just trying to think what Swiss Tony would add on to that.... how about...

.... sometimes you've got to get down to the low level and keep track of your bits, especially for embedded processes.
LOL :LOL:

I don't think anything can compete with Rock Climbing for Swiss Tony'isms . Phrases to be heard whilst climbing include:

"I am just going to slip a nut in this crack",
"You can jam your fist in this crack",
or even "There is a great jug just above your head"

CC

Simon F said:
MuFu said:

.... sometimes you've got to get down to the low level and keep track of your bits, especially for embedded hardware.

Hehe, and let some other guy handle the front end.

Tahir said:
You mean cause an Avalanche?

More like I'll be Axed about this. :)

as a side note, right now I have 4 AXE chips, but two of them are just passing by... ;)

Back