World Cup 2006

Just that?! everyone was betting Zidane's mother and/or sister were someway involved in Materazzi's words :)

Crisidelm said:
I've read that those who reviewed the tape trying to read Materazzi's lips report his words to be:"Fai il fenomeno dai... sì sì fai il fenomeno" ("C'mon, be a phenomenon...yeah, yeah, be a phenomenon").

The english press (Guardian) reports that he said "Terrorist"

hupfinsgack said:
Did they read it on his lips or just guessed it?
IMHO, Zidane just lost it for a second there...he was tired, weary, had an aching right shoulder and nervous as he knew he was ending his career without the certainty of winning his last trophy. During his career he got more than 10 red cards...he wasn't exactly a "nerves-of-steel" player.

Last edited by a moderator:
hupfinsgack said:

No they don't... unless you have a link.

All I got was:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1817268,00.html

Zinedine Zidane's chestbutt on Marco Materazzi was "provoked" by a comment from the Italy defender, according to the player's agent. And, while Alain Migliaccio did not know what Materazzi said, he confirmed that Zidane would reveal the exact nature of the comments soon.

Whatever was said, he must have heard it a thousand times before. Everyone is trying to excuse him by finding out what Materazzi said. It's like Rooney and Ronaldo in the english press. Why are we trying to find excuses for violent action from professional sportsmen?

Simon F said:
Perhaps they are waiting for Materazzi to confess first?
Well, they'll have to wait till Hell freezes over then: yesterday, during the Italy team parade in Rome, Materazzi said he needn't justify himself..

Strange that l-b hasn't posted in this thread for a few days. I wonder if his head exploded with excitement, or if he's still drunk? My Italian PhD student has been AWOL for 48 hours. I mean blimey people, it's only a game of football, it's not like it's important or anything! :p

I'm sad the WC is over, we had such a great time. Aswesome atmosphere throughout the country, coulourfull, great and friendly people everywhere. Okay, the football was rather poor overall: too much emphasis on defense and lots of insanely talented player material wasted due to tactical considerations and conservative formations. I pray that not too many club teams will adopt the 4-5-1 system, otherwise we'll have a few horrible seasons ahead in national and international competitions.

If somebody had told me a year ago that Germany would play the most attractive football in the tournament, I wouldn't have believed it. Its like a parody, Germany plays refreshing attacking football and scores plenty of goals, while Brazil struggles to even get close to the opponents box. There are plenty of teams with more technically gifted players, but if you put them on a tight leash, that talent is wasted.

Although playing defensively can also be fascinating to watch, at least in case of the Italians. Cannavaro has got to be one of the most amazing players I've ever seen, pitty he won't ever get the recognition he really deserves, just because he's a defender. IMO he would have deserved the MVP award.

Congratulations to Italy! But 2010 its our turn. ;)

Gollum said:
IMO he would have deserved the MVP award.
100% agreed, they gave it to Zidane.. and it does not make any sense after what he did in the final.

is there anyway to make football games more exciting? I heard one suggestion that i really liked, doing away with off-side calls. What do you think?

epic

I dunno, AFAIK the off-side rule has been in place for a long time, and for good reason. Without it you get four players from each team in each penalty box, and a couple of guys running around in the middle of the pitch hoofing long balls up front.

TBH I don't think that there are many changes in the rules can make the game more "exciting" without spoiling it. As was debated in the early phases of this thread, the exciting point about football is there's always scope for an upset. Some games are boring, some are fantastic. That's football.

I guess the fundamental question is... what is it about football that you think isn't sufficiently exciting? Do you want more goals? More shots on goal? More random running about?

epicstruggle said:
is there anyway to make football games more exciting?
epic
More exciting? I think the level is just about right. The stress of watching matches with a team I really support is more than enough for me!

Another lowly regarded, highly skilled player (- and a f*cking dancer to boot):

Out on her royal yacht the Queen was enjoying the sea air when she spied a man in the water off the port bow - clearly being menaced by a very large shark.

Through her binoculars she could see it was Christian Ronaldo, struggling frantically to free himself from the jaws of a 20 foot shark!

The queen ordered the captain to change course to try and save the poor man, but she knew the yacht's top speed would never get them there in time.

At that exact moment a speedboat containing three men wearing white Englandshirts sped into view.

One of the men took aim at the shark and fired a harpoon into its ribs, immobilising it instantly.

The other two reached out and pulled Ronaldo from the water and, using long clubs, beat the shark to death.

They bundled the bleeding, semi-conscious Ronaldo into the speedboat along with the dead shark and prepared for a hasty retreat, when they heard frantic calling .......

It was the Queen calling them to the yacht.

On reaching yacht the Queen went into raptures about the rescue and said to Beckham, Rooney and Gerrard (for it was they)

"I will give you a knighthood for your brave actions. I thought the Englandteam would hate Ronaldo after the world cup, but I see that my Englandteam are true heroes and should serve as a model for sportsmanship to other countries."

She knighted them there and then, and proceeded to sail away.

As she departed Rooney asked the others, "Who was that?!"

"That," Beckham answered, "was our Queen. She rules the Commonwealth and knows everything about our country."

"Well," Rooney replied, "she definitely knows Fsck-all about shark fishing. How's the bait holding up ?"

Cheers

Back