Wolfenstein: The New Order

Yeah it has SSAO. Frankly I don't notice SSAO in games unless I compare screenshots,

It's probably more the case that you don't realize that you notice it. It's just one of those subtle effects that you can't clearly point out in any given scene which adds to the overall realism of that scene. That's where we are these days with real time graphics, it's not about individual effects but the combination of those effects into a scene which we judge on a scale of realism. I'm fairly certain AO has a pretty significant effect on that overall judgement. Or to put another way, if AO was removed from real life, do you think you wouldn't notice? On the other hand, do you think you'd be able to pinpoint what was missing? Or would things just look a little bit "off"?

It's probably more the case that you don't realize that you notice it.
It is a subtle effect. It's also something that can be pre-baked in many cases and then a dynamic form of it is even harder to notice. I occasionally experiment with it in games and try to see its absense / presence. The performance hit is the most obvious aspect. ;)

Ok why can't this game at least have loadable checkpoints? I just accidentally clicked on a level exit. I have to replay the entire level to get back to where I didn't mean to leave! :(

I was in the ancient knowledge cache and was working on the puzzle but clicked on the highlighted suit out of curiosity not realizing it was the exit. And that final battle in the sub was a bitch so replaying it isn't terribly enticing at the moment lol

Hold the right bumper and it opens a weapon wheel.

I know the weapon wheel. The problem Im refering to is that you can only swap between 2 weapons with the Y button. Say i have the Assault Rifle equiped and I press Y to cycle to the next weapon and I have the pistol equiped. So now I want to switch the pistol out for the auto shotgun, so I open the wheel and select it. Ok the character pulls out the shotgun when I press Y again to switch back to the assault rifle its gone and in its place is the pistol that I just switched for the shotgun. Its insanely weird trying to select 2 weapons of my choosing to be able to cycle thru before a battle.

Ps when I said the game lacked SSAO earlier I was only refering to its use around Bj's guns and arms like the effect seen on the weapons in Bf4. Bj only has arms and he cast no shadows or light ambience whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just come back from one SF location close to the end of the game, and man... This game is PRETTY, and gunplay is sooo incredibly fun. I'm having a blast with this game.

I really hope Machine Games survives, they deserve high sales.

I like the game, they really did a better job with the story this time, there are some issues with level design, AI, sound could be mixed a bit better and some low res textures (PS4 version for me can't comment on other platforms) but overall decent game.

I just come back from one SF location close to the end of the game, and man... This game is PRETTY, and gunplay is sooo incredibly fun. I'm having a blast with this game.

I really hope Machine Games survives, they deserve high sales.

I wasn't really interested in this game but the impressions seem to be consistently excellent, I'm starting to feel swayed!

I'm not sure what to make of the sales numbers, since not having the digital sales is really confusing these days. I would suggest that PC disc sales are probably 25% of the total, with 75% sales online. But what the figures are for the consoles, I have no idea. I would say max 50%, but probably still quite a bit less than that.

"The PS4 version of Wolfenstein accounted for 38 per cent of first week sales, ahead of the Xbox One (31%), Xbox 360 (12%) and PC (11%) versions."

The gaming gods have decreed that anyone who loved the oldschool-ness of wolfenstein should get thee hence to thine nearest retailer and purchase shadow warrior.

surprise at the sales of a SP only fps. Guess its also a dry season. Thought I do like the game but can't see it sell a crap ton, maybe after big discount. Hope Betheda can get these guys to pick up Prey 2 or Doom 4 next.

I wasn't really interested in this game but the impressions seem to be consistently excellent, I'm starting to feel swayed!

Got it last night. Once you got past the endless introduction scenes with the english pilot "dude" it's great. It really feels like an old-school FPS game, hitting the [] button to get armor, bullets and loot. One of the best shooters I've played over the past years. Reminds me indeed of the good times on PC with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, HL2, Doom 3 etc.

If I have to be critical it's the sometimes bad AI (soldiers sitting duck...) and that they don't seem to use the rumble of the controller.

by renaming the executable filename from WolfNewOrder_x64 to WolfNewOrder_x32, PC gamers will notice a huge performance increase. - Allegedly

What version of the game you now have after this big update?

Looks like its 01.01, 53 GB total install size

EDIT: is it me or are they using the same samples / sounds as Bioshock ? E.g. when you pick up ammo/loot/armor or when you
finish an objective. Actually maybe it's not a bad thing, to call this game a kind of spirtual sucessor of Bioshock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to add another thumbs up. This game is hardcore. I'm playing on Death Incarnate and the AI is FEAR-like in its deviousness and I love all the little touches like how they laugh when they kick my ass. I beat RTCW again last year and I think it's safe to say that this has the same kind of quality to it. Passionate developers worked on this game.

The background music also give it this Quake 3 feel at times. There's an edge to everything in this game.

Back