Wolfenstein: The New Order

I'm about an hour into the game now and the things that stand out to me are:

*aliasing is severe
*textures are awful
*feels like a 360 game
*very much old school
*aiming down sights is pointless, you always fire perfectly straight no matter what

I keep expecting to need to find different coloured keys to progress further. It seems like the character is able to wear 20+ helmets at the same time, each one providing further 'armour' protection.

Despite all this, it's fun (if forgettable).

"About an hour" is still prologue. Game gets visually, narratively and gameplay-wise much better after arrival to 60s.

Post your impressions after 3-4h mark, when you will see that this game has an awesome mix of shooting, stealth, bioshock, darkness, solid worldbuilding and more. :)

Very good game . Nice characters , interesting story , gory action , stealth ....
The hangar shootout was amazing !!

A couple of hours in, I'm surprised it's actually not that bad looking for a id tech5 game. Something about the human voice is very low on my surround system strangely.
1277252_10152397225960289_1201399373652717374_o.jpg

10295353_10152397216600289_4177065709324068420_o.jpg

I must be in the minority with this one. I'm well into the 60s now, but it's still not grabbing me. I'll take DieH@rd's word and persist for a while longer.

It's the ugliest PS4 game I've played. If I didn't know better I'd think I was playing on the 360.

Yeah they should have implemented SMAA or even supersampling. I don't think the game has any AA at all. MSAA is in the profiles configuration file but it is disabled because it causes visual artifacts with some effects.

It is interesting how low resolution most of the texturing is even when it has more than 33GB of texture data. Part of the problem is everything is equally blurred. You don't get nice sharp wall hangings over blurry wall texture say to change the perception. Megatexture is definitely not vindicated.

I must be in the minority with this one. I'm well into the 60s now, but it's still not grabbing me. I'll take DieH@rd's word and persist for a while longer.

It's the ugliest PS4 game I've played. If I didn't know better I'd think I was playing on the 360.

Thats weird Im playing it on the X1 and some of the background assets are low res but at 1080p 60 fps this doesnt look like a 360 game to me. I guess it could look similar to Rage on the 360 but it comes off much smoother. I guess if we could see some footage of the 360/ps3 version we could get a better Idea of how it compares. It doesnt compare to Ryse,Kzsf,ISS but its close to Bf4 in looks to me. Minus the SSAO and the player casting any shadows. The main thing is the game is fun and locked at 60 fps.

I picked up my copy today, good game, mediocre visuals. Forced FXAA works well in the game, aliasing is reduced significantly, I didn't encounter any texture pop up during my 3 hours play.

I picked up my copy today, good game, mediocre visuals. Forced FXAA works well in the game, aliasing is reduced significantly, I didn't encounter any texture pop up during my 3 hours play.

All I have to do is a snap turn to see textures loading. Same behavior as the only other idtech 5 game.

Are you forcing FXAA by NV control panel?

If you play with a controller you generally won't see any textures loading due to lack of snap turning. I guess that's one way to lessen the issues with idtech5 :) Who the hell plays controller with a first person shooter on PC though?

All I have to do is a snap turn to see textures loading. Same behavior as the only other idtech 5 game.

Are you forcing FXAA by NV control panel?
Yes and 16XAF with clamp too (driver 337.50), my card is 3GB and at ultra this game exceeds 2.5GB of video data easily, so this could be a factor.

You can also try editing the wolfconfig.cfg file located in "C:\Users\****\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\base" and then add these commands:
r_usehardwaretextures "1"
vt_useCudaTranscode "1"

Which I presume will force using the GPU to do the texture transcode through CUDA, I haven't tested that myself as I didn't feel the need, but you might give it a shot and see if it improves things.

Rage had these texture problems long ago too, but they are gone now after several patches, so there might be hope for this one.

1080p 60 fps this doesnt look like a 360 game to me.

It feels very much like Rage did on the 360, only I came away from that game thinking it looked great. The only real difference between them is the resolution. Honestly, some of the textures in this game are just terrible; when you get to the resistance base in Berlin I noticed some cutlery, papers, and surgical tools flat texture mapped onto a couple of surfaces. *shudder*

its close to Bf4 in looks to me.

No, BF4 looks infinitely better than this game.

I never said it looked as good or better than BF4. I said it looks close minus self shadowing main character and SSAO. They both use an abundance of "God rays" and have a similar look to textures.
Bf does have more consistent texturing but it does have it's share of bleh textures. Also Bf4 uses a ton of fake reflections that WTNO doesnt use. One big difference though is WTNO plays so much smoother because of the locked framerate. Also WTNO doesnt suffer from no where near the graphical glitches that Bf4 has, like entire levels shadow maps disappearing randomly. You say WTNO doesnt look next gen and thats fine but it doesnt look last gen for the simple fact that the Ps360 could never even attempt
to run this game at these settings at 1080p(dynamic framebuffer) 60 fps. The game is a blast to play for alot of people and thats the most important thing anyway.

does Wolfenstein even have SSAO? ID tech 5 doesn't seems to support any fancy effects from my experience with Rage.

Yeah it has SSAO. Frankly I don't notice SSAO in games unless I compare screenshots, but it is in the Wolfenstein graphicsprofiles config file. On PC it also has a screen space reflections option that is disabled by default. There is a noise effect added to textures to improve perception of detail (Rage got this in a patch too). I also think there is a sharpen filter on the image. Depth of field has some quality settings. Hard to know what else is going on because it's not documented.

There are some cool fog effects (volumetric?) Character models are excellent I think. Reminds me of those Crysis 3 ultra-detail cutscenes.

The textures are really varied in quality. Some are so good you think you're looking at a photograph, others are blocky messes. Not sure the exact cause of that.

I just wish they had implemented SMAA. Since it's OpenGL, I can't run a SMAA injector even.

I may just be a moron, but is anyone else having trouble with weapon switching system?
I find it impossible to equip the assault rifle and the tactical rifle at the same time.
It keeps switching from the tactical rifle to the automatic shotgun. You know it may be user error but I wish games still came with actual paper manuals.

Back