Windows 7

Well, it's also useful for launching programs; usually I can't be bothered to minimize my current windows, and double-click on a desktop icon.

Sounds like it had an issue with the upgrade then. What about trying a reinstall? Sorry if I am harping on about stuff you may already have done, but for instance SPTD (the hardware access layer used by, for instance, Daemon-tools) doesn't support upgrading from Vista to 7.
It seems the problem might have been with the new version of the fingerprint software Toshiba supply with the win 7 upgrade. I removed the 'application' part - (I suspect the drivers are still there) - and the system is reasonably perky now.

It seems the problem might have been with the new version of the fingerprint software Toshiba supply with the win 7 upgrade. I removed the 'application' part - (I suspect the drivers are still there) - and the system is reasonably perky now.
Interesting, thanks.

I would never ever use MS's OS "upgrade" feature, I've heard so many horror stories of things going terribly wrong with upgrades. Just clean out all the old, then in with the new. It means (a lot) less bother and less work trying to fix stuff that gets borked in the long run.

I would never ever use MS's OS "upgrade" feature, I've heard so many horror stories of things going terribly wrong with upgrades. Just clean out all the old, then in with the new. It means (a lot) less bother and less work trying to fix stuff that gets borked in the long run.

Well, it was OK with mine. It did an analysis of potential issues, and told me which programs I could better uninstall and then reinstall after the upgrade (almost all related to VPN software, of which I need varying flavors for work). The only thing that didn't work afterwards was another piece of VPN software it hadn't asked me to remove beforehand, and removing and reinstalling that fixed the issue.

In the meantime it saved me a tonne of work reinstalling all my applications, and I haven't had any issues since.

I might have done otherwise if this wasn't an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 but, say, an upgrade from XP to Windows 7, or if I had an OS that had been running for several years without a reintall (good excuse for a cleanup). But Vista and Windows 7 really don't differ all that much, and my install was from August 2009 so I wasn't interested in starting over if I didn't have to.

I did Upgrade installations from Vista x64 to Win7 beta, and from that to 3 or 4 different beta/rc Win7 builds without issues. I did a clean install on Win7 RTM though

I get a stall about every few days with W7-64: when I don't reboot for that long, it will freeze, and give me an error that there aren't enough system resources to do whatever I want. I even had to give a hard reboot (press the button) once because of that, it didn't have the system resources for a reboot. And I always have to tell it to kill all active processes, because there are no system resources available for them to quit gracefully.

I get a stall about every few days with W7-64: when I don't reboot for that long, it will freeze, and give me an error that there aren't enough system resources to do whatever I want. I even had to give a hard reboot (press the button) once because of that, it didn't have the system resources for a reboot. And I always have to tell it to kill all active processes, because there are no system resources available for them to quit gracefully.

That is really bizarre. What other background processes do you have running? I've left my W7-64 Enterprise running for several weeks on end without issue, so I don't think it's the operating system.

What does your system performance event log say? There's also an event log for memory-leaking process detection that you could check too.

Weird, though I've never tried to keep Windows 7 (64bit) running longer than 3 days.

Maybe check your virtual memory situation in Task Manager after a few days.

Or maybe your hard drive with your virtual memory has totally spun down so Windows is stalled in doing its thing. Is sleep disabled for your hard drives?

Are you running any programs that are ancient? It's possible one is grabbing all your memory and not releasing it.

That's really odd as on average I reboot my Win7 machine about once every 6-8 weeks. The only exceptions is recently when I've been experiementing to see if drivers have fixed the gray striped screen issue that only pops up after coming out of sleep mode on my video card.

Other than that issue however Win7 is rock solid just like Vista was before it after extended uptime.

Regards,
SB

There are no events logged in the event viewer, but try google and look at the amount of hits. Very many people have the same problem.

I'm going to try all the suggestions, starting with increasing the size of the registry, if applicable.

There are no events logged in the event viewer, but try google and look at the amount of hits. Very many people have the same problem.

I'm going to try all the suggestions, starting with increasing the size of the registry, if applicable.

Again, even if there are lots of google hits for it, I dont' think this is an operating system issue. I firmly believe you'd be incredibly hard pressed to duplicate this scenario on a clean OS with the base drivers loaded. There's some other 3rd party app somewhere causing you this grief.

Of course, I also realize that this really doesn't help your situation either :), but even the performance event log had no details? Or the memory leak diagnostic event log? Those two aren't stored in the same place as the "big three" that you're used to, they're buried a bit deeper.

Considering it's by far the most used and most complex piece of software I have, I think it's pretty cheap. :) For the price of a couple of games, I'll be using it for the next 2-4 years.

Regards,
SB

This may fix your problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

it's also more than the price of a 1.5TB hard drive, which would allow to backup all my household's data.

Windows from 2000 onwards is actually an underrated piece of software, which mostly lacks freedom, the GNU command line and other aspects.
The pricing is unfair when end user have to pay 110 euros while Dell, Acer pay about one third that. It's my main peeve. I would buy it as an end user if I could pay the real price.

Some versions are a tad expensive too, such as the server standard edition sold at 650 euros ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well maybe if you start buying by the millions MS will also give you a big discount. I'm sure Dell and HP also pay much less than you for their 1.5TB drives. Over here you pay 85 euro's for home premium and 115 euro's for professional. I don't think that is expensive. Basically it's not even the price of 2 games and it is very likely that after 2 weeks you will already have used windows more than you would have played those games in total (hours).

Though I'm very happy I could still use my old msdnaa account from college and get Pro for free. Btw, does anybody knows if msdnaa accounts are something you get for a life time? Because I already left that college like 1.5 years ago and actually activated the account for the first time when my friend from college told me I could get win7 for free like that. Actually took quite some time to hunt down the required usernames and everything lol.

Oh, did I mention I hate the search function btw? It's impossible to search for something fast. Just give me a my search button back so I can just press it when I need to search a folder i'm already in.

Prices on computer parts are notoriously tight, you know. as in, even in Taïwan prices are barely cheaper than on european web sites.

I will get back to uni and get mdsnaa then.
last time I checked the "No, I don't want msdnaa" box :LOL: when given some paper form on one of the first days.

I wonder if it's possible to get a Server 2008 license with terminal server licenses that way. I would like a multi-user windows, so my desktop can be used from any part of the house using any kind of hardware.

(I have a slow as molasses, single user VNC server installed on XP. it sucks. let me login with rdesktop!)

Again, even if there are lots of google hits for it, I dont' think this is an operating system issue. I firmly believe you'd be incredibly hard pressed to duplicate this scenario on a clean OS with the base drivers loaded. There's some other 3rd party app somewhere causing you this grief.
This happened from the start, and I had to download and install some W7-64 drivers because some of the automatically installed ones turned out to be broken.

Every time I post about some piece of popular software (and put anything Microsoft at the top of that list) that doesn't work for me, many people come to the defense of that piece of software and/or the producer, and tell me it's impossible that there are bugs in it/I am using a pirated version/I don't know what I'm doing/it's something else. No matter if there are many people who suffer from the same problem.

I have heard first hand from 3 people getting a blue screen after installing a driver with Windows 7, so far. That's 3 more than with XP...

Of course, I also realize that this really doesn't help your situation either :), but even the performance event log had no details? Or the memory leak diagnostic event log? Those two aren't stored in the same place as the "big three" that you're used to, they're buried a bit deeper.
Thanks. But yes, I checked. And yes, there are many people who had the same problem and posted a solution that worked for them. A lot of different solutions, that don't work for others.

Anyway, does it matter? Do I need to be an IT professional to be able to fix it? I AM an IT professional. And if I write a program that has a comparable problem, guess who is to blame and has to fix it, no matter if it turns out to be caused by some other, incompatible software? The customers aren't exactly happy if I tell them it's not my problem and they should complain to the other company. Which will tell them that their software works great with any other software, so it's not their problem.

Back