Windows 7

I fully agree.

If you install ATI display drivers, then uninstall them and stick in an Nvidia board instead and reboot, you'll still have two ATI entries showing up in the task manager. I'm like, wth? How damn difficult can it be for a multi-billion corporation to write an uninstall script that removes all the crap it put there in the first place? It's unforgivably sloppy.

I had a similar problem where going from a 4870 to a 5870 cause the 4870 driver to auto install after removing the cat driver for the 4870. I had to remove the 4870 driver (not the cat driver but the drive that auto loads when you uninstall CCC) do to oddities in a particular game using a 5870. It make me wonder if I have to deactivate pagefile, indexing, etc in those examples. Which brought me to this question: When you disable pagefile is it really disabled in Win7 (IE: pagefile.sys removed from the hard drive)? I get the impression that it's not fully removed although I've not fully tested it.

Dunno about the pagefile because I've never tried to disable it completely in win7, but I do know if you disable hibernation it removes the memory dump file from the disk. Therefore I assume the same is true with the pagefile as well.

Maybe your fingerprint reader software and drivers need an update?
The upgrade system (from the vendor) included an update to the fingerprint software, and it was an improvement in some areas.

The scanning/recognition seems faster, but it still can't cope with the effects of cold weather making finger tips rough :( which is why I've tried to disable it.

The upgrade system (from the vendor) included an update to the fingerprint software, and it was an improvement in some areas.

The scanning/recognition seems faster, but it still can't cope with the effects of cold weather making finger tips rough :( which is why I've tried to disable it.
I see. I find it strange that removing the software and drivers still makes it act up, though.

I see. I find it strange that removing the software and drivers still makes it act up, though.
Oh, I have not removed the drivers, per se, only the fingerprint records.

Under Vista it always offered you the choice of fingerprint or password login from the outset but, with Win 7, it initially just prompted for the recorded fingerprints, which was of no use if they weren't being recognised. :(

Oh, I have not removed the drivers, per se, only the fingerprint records.

Under Vista it always offered you the choice of fingerprint or password login from the outset but, with Win 7, it initially just prompted for the recorded fingerprints, which was of no use if they weren't being recognised. :(
Sounds like it had an issue with the upgrade then. What about trying a reinstall? Sorry if I am harping on about stuff you may already have done, but for instance SPTD (the hardware access layer used by, for instance, Daemon-tools) doesn't support upgrading from Vista to 7.

If I understand what you're asking... They are both part and parcel of the same system. I'm assuming you mean Windows maintaining recently run programs in memory even after you close the application in case the user decides to run it again.

Regards,
SB
If you disable SuperFetch, the system cache still functions. I think that gives you a caching system like the server OSs and XP right? Superfetch is disabled on Server 2008 so it's pretty clear that there are some times that Superfetch is undesireable.

Yes, it wouldn't necessarily be useful in a server, as your useage patterns would be harder to determine for a general policy (like superfetch).

For example, memory useage is generally far higher in a server environment, especially with certain useage scenarios. So having Windows itself trying to use available memory to speed up local user access (Superfetch) isn't very desirable, when local user access isn't generally a priority for a server.

Regards,
SB

In that case is Indexing even needed for home use? Does indexing actually improve performance of apps, etc?

In that case is Indexing even needed for home use? Does indexing actually improve performance of apps, etc?

It does if you use the search box in Windows Explorer frequently (I do) or any kind of search for a file. As the searches then are almost instantaneous rather than having to wait while it physically searches all files in your search location.

The downside is that the initial indexing takes a while depending on how many files you have in the indexed locations. But that only lasts for a little while, after which your computer behaves as if no indexing was going on (because no indexing is going on :)).

So for example a fresh install of Vista/Win7 will take a few days or so to index your 2 TB (or however much you have) of data. But after intial indexing is done, your computer behaves exactly as it doesn with it turned off. Only thing is, now you have the benefit of virtually instantaneous searches.

You can also configure per drive and per folder indexing and exclusion.

I absolutely love it. I notice the difference mostly when accessing network drives (I don't have those indexed) and do a search on those (slooooow), after being used to do searches on my local machine with most areas indexed.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks. I still use folders for certain programs on the desktop and using the large Icon feature they took an awful long time to populate. Disabling Indexing cause them to populate almost instantly. Perhaps I need to rebuild indexing, not sure.

Edit:
After rebuilding the index everything seems to be working as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have indexing turned off personally because of the way I have my machine organized. So I dont need to search 99% of the times.

I use that feature under the Unix command line (locate and updatedb commands), but for system and administrative purpose (where the f* is that configuration file, or where the hell is that stuff stored).
It really is instant, and occasionally relieving!

under windows everything is cleanly under program files or appdata, and there's not quite silent software installs which write things you have no idea of (or it's hidden in registry)

in addition my data is organised (simple folders on the data partition), and windows has had a good grindin' search since 95. nothing like that horrible looking "find" unix command :LOL:

it's all personal, but I've been used to dealing with my own stuff myself since the DOS days, no "my documents" etc.
so I can live fine without superfetch and indexing. not that it's big of an issue.

Indexing (7/Vista) is great because it's faster to open your documents. You don't need to navigate somewhere and double click, that's assuming you navigated to the correct place. Just Win + F and start typing. Nowadays I don't even check the search results and press enter right away: very rarely it's not the file I want.

I only have indexing enabled on my data partition and for Program shortcuts. If you find yourself searching for files inside \Windows, etc. I recommend Everything.

Indexing (7/Vista) is great because it's faster to open your documents. You don't need to navigate somewhere and double click, that's assuming you navigated to the correct place. Just Win + F and start typing. Nowadays I don't even check the search results and press enter right away: very rarely it's not the file I want.

I only have indexing enabled on my data partition and for Program shortcuts. If you find yourself searching for files inside \Windows, etc. I recommend Everything.

You don't even need to use Win + F, you can just press Win and start typing to the start menu's search/run box (which is active for kboard input when you open the menu)

I hit Win+S (created with autohotkey), which opens a 80x43 command prompt on C:\>
I then navigate to my files, and often do "start ." or sometimes "start file.foo", or I may enter some text directly at the console :).
I added UnxUtils (ports of unix commands) too.

maybe I'm weird but I use either windows or ubuntu, and some debian.
command line is great, a fast interface always available. also my important files (i.e. documents, not media) are on a remote machine. I can ssh in, or transfer files from the windows console

I found what I call an "oddity" with Win7 only because I didn't experience this with XP using a overclocked C2D CPU. When using EIST my performance in games are much lower then when it's disabled (via bios). Overall I did noticed that I lose a few frames in most games with EIST on. Also, when EIST is used applications, etc run slower, stutter, etc. I really don't know why that is.

Is there any significant difference on the Index in Vista and V7?

When i saw Searchindexer eat 2GB of memory (and make my machine crawl) i killed it on my Vista machine..

Is there any significant difference on the Index in Vista and V7?

When i saw Searchindexer eat 2GB of memory (and make my machine crawl) i killed it on my Vista machine..

Yeah, didn't noticed it (yet) on W7 firing up and doing that much damage. I was having experiences similar to yours with Vista.

I believe searchindexer is more aggressive in Vista while in Win7 it's even more of a background task. But the drawback, is that indexing will finish faster on Vista than Win7.

And once it's done with initial indexing, then on both systems you'll never know it's on, unless you add a data drive with lots of data and then instruct Windows to index that location.

If you search for files much, then indexing is indispensible, the speedup even with only occasional file searches is just too good to pass up. If you never ever search for files, then it's generally not going to be all that useful.

Although it also has some benefits when viewing folders with many files as the list will populate almost immediately as the files are all indexed.

Regards,
SB

Back