Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defender is still in W10? News to me! I haven't seen hide nor hair of it in the year I've been running W10... :LOL:

Ok, I've seen definitions updates for it in win update, but I assumed they removed the GUI and just made it like a system service that runs silently in the background...

Defender is the most silent Antivirus ever. It never nags you unless something really bad happened.

Normally it just silently murder the viruses. Kidnap them to Microsoft HQ (if you allow it to do kidnapping). Etc.

Do Americans say 'off at the wall' to mean switch the device off? To me, 'off at the wall' means exactly that,
perhaps its like going to a petrol station and filling your car with gas (even though its a liquid) or you're in luck / lucked out meaning both the same thing :yes:
then again theres prolly a whole raft of illogical phrases that we use here

Do Americans say 'off at the wall' to mean switch the device off? To me, 'off at the wall' means exactly that, using the physical switch on the socket attached to the wall. What your suggesting here is that US power outlets don't even have power switches?! So you guys have to unplug to actually power anything off? :oops:

Correct. It's the same in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Taiwan to name a few other countries. I guess it's a European/Australian/New Zealand thing?

Regards,
SB

TL: DR - A lot of odd things can happen in Windows 8/8.1/10 due to Windows now correctly parsing and using the EDID information on displays. This is exacerbated if the display's EDID isn't correctly populated or wasn't created properly.
I had a 22" 1680x1050 monitor but the edid said it was a 24" 1920x1080 monitor It never caused a problem with vista until I started using eyefinity and because of the edid amd's drivers would not accept all my monitors where the same size and res and therefore wouldnt enable bezel correction.

Yeah it's surprising how many monitors don't have correct EDID information. Generally the monitor's INF file has the correct information, but users also generally don't install monitor INFs.

What I hate is that both AMD and Nvidia professional drivers allow you to override a monitor's EDID with an INF file, but their consumer drivers do not. That can be used to overcome some of the odd anomalies that can arise from using EDID only. Eventually all monitor makers will have to have correct EDID information, but until that happens it's going to be rough for some users if they have a monitor with incorrect EDID information.

Regards,
SB

My 32 inch tv says she is 30.

Honey, no one will judge you how big you are. Heck, I would love to see you getting bigger!

But seriously, why monitors and TV lie? 0_0

If you feel up to it, you can play around with those monitor definitions. I once downloaded a modded file so my LG was presented as an Acer that supported Nvidia's 3D stuff, and that worked just fine. In Win10 you have to enable a setting that allowes unsigned stuff but that was all.

OK, finally went and updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and so far I'm full of regrets. It's far worse than I was expecting after having used it on my Surface 3. For example, wtf is up with this?

http://i.imgur.com/r6SGdij.png

First off, IE has gargantuan scaled UI. Menus inherit that gargantuan size. Internet Options doesn't, however. Explorer is there to show what the scale should be. And WTF is up with the control panel? Everything in there is blurry. Including the UI elements it shares with the explorer window above it. This boggles my mind as BOTH of them are using Windows Explorer.

Also, I can't open the Start Screen on the main display without having the taskbar on the main display. Works fine on Windows 8.1, but Windows 10 has to have things tied to the task bar like a stupid legacy Windows. Ugh.

If anyone has a solution to the gargantuan IE UI I'd love to see it.

I'm sure there's going to be a ton more things that are going to annoy the ever living poo out of me.

edit - OMG, I put the quicklaunch toolbar back on, and even "small icons" are gargantuan now. Sigh.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Is there a reason you're using IE? Compatibility with something? Default for W10 is Edge now which is considerably better for modern sites. Or of course Chrome, FF etc.

Is there a reason you're using IE? Compatibility with something? Default for W10 is Edge now which is considerably better for modern sites. Or of course Chrome, FF etc.

Edge lacks many features from IE still. Hopefully the Anniversary Edition will bring it more inline with IE when it comes to features. Chrome is only used for backup when I need to view a Flash site as "block all popups" does not actually block all popups. I used to use Chrome as my main browser when it was easy to add/remove sites from being able to run JavaScript, but since they got rid of that option in the address bar and made it a royal pain in the ass to manage in settings, I went back to using IE11.

Oh and Edge also doesn't block all popups when it's set to block popups just like Chrome, so it's a bit crap as well.

Oh, and after doing a windows update and rebooting, the IE UI, Quicklaunch toolbar, and control panel fixed themselves. Here's to hoping I don't suffer from the erratic behavior that Zed has been going through.

Regards,
SB

Correct. It's the same in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Taiwan to name a few other countries. I guess it's a European/Australian/New Zealand thing?

Regards,
SB

I've never been in a country in Europe where you have a power switch on the wall socket. Didn't even knew there are countries that have this.

As far as W10 goes, I've been using it for a couple of months now on my HTPC and it works OK. Though I got Kodi running as my front end so I hardly ever have to deal with W10 itself. Though the start menu is simply a disaster. I just doesn't work. They can keep the metro apps on the side but other than that they should just dump the current start menu and return to the W7 menu.

Other than that no big issues. My biggest problem is that W10 has a tendency to hang during reboots, requiring a hard reset. Never had a single crash even though its running 24/7 with a reboot once every few weeks or so.

In Indonesia you won't see a wall socket with physical witch.

You also won't get those with proper grounding in many places. Especially on old houses and cheap lodging.

All macbook body will have tingling feeling when charged :D

Is the Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Branch right for you?

One of Windows 10's best-kept secrets is the Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) edition. Its biggest selling point is its apparent simplicity. Once installed, you get the usual security and reliability fixes each month, but none of the feature updates, which are equivalent to full upgrades.

For administrators who aren't yet comfortable with the "Windows-as-a-service" model ushered in by Windows 10, it sounds like a familiar servicing model. But there are some gotchas you need to know about.

Let's start with a few facts about what LTSB is and how it works.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/windows-10-long-term-servicing-220100691.html?ref=gs

I took the plunge today. Let's see how it goes. :) :( :?::???:

btw all the phone-centric features should be disable-able (or whatever) by just a few settings instead of a million submenus.

Edge lacks many features from IE still. Hopefully the Anniversary Edition will bring it more inline with IE when it comes to features. Chrome is only used for backup when I need to view a Flash site as "block all popups" does not actually block all popups. I used to use Chrome as my main browser when it was easy to add/remove sites from being able to run JavaScript, but since they got rid of that option in the address bar and made it a royal pain in the ass to manage in settings, I went back to using IE11.

Oh and Edge also doesn't block all popups when it's set to block popups just like Chrome, so it's a bit crap as well.

Oh, and after doing a windows update and rebooting, the IE UI, Quicklaunch toolbar, and control panel fixed themselves. Here's to hoping I don't suffer from the erratic behavior that Zed has been going through.

Regards,
SB
If you want to block annoying ads and popup then you use adblock. No browser has been even close to that for blocking popups.

Days are long gone when y ou can disable Javascript on sites. If you're not sure about certain sites and their script then run them in a vm first.

I also have flash disabled in chrome. No reason for sites to use it anymore, apart from ads.

If you want to block annoying ads and popup then you use adblock. No browser has been even close to that for blocking popups.

Days are long gone when y ou can disable Javascript on sites. If you're not sure about certain sites and their script then run them in a vm first.

I also have flash disabled in chrome. No reason for sites to use it anymore, apart from ads.

IE11 blocks all popups with some extremely rare exceptions. JavaScript is easily blocked by blocking javascript. IE makes it easy to manage exceptions. Chrome used to make it easy to manage exceptions, but that is no longer the case. It also doesn't help that I absolutely hate Chrome's UI (that applies to Edge as well). Opera has a crap UI as well. I'd love to have the IE9 UI back, but I'm not holding my breath on that ever coming back.

I prefer not to use addons for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is if the author of the addon stops maintaining it, it'll stop working eventually. Of course, going forward I may have no choice. As IE11 might being the last decent browser ever made that allows the user a decent level of control.

I'll have to give Firefox a try again. Because I don't like Chrome, Opera, or Edge.

Regards,
SB

Don't bother with Firefox. Its not nearly as good as any of those other browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back