Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't plan to, started the other one because the first was taking so long. But now I am thinking why not - my wife hates 8.1 and I want to spend the time on learning it this week. If we didn't have 5 other browsing devices I probably wouldn't have dared. Other one just got overtaken now by the way around the 33% install mark.

Edit: first reboot against 52% on my wife's PC.

Last edited:
It's a hard call on whether Win 8 + Classic Shell or Win 10 is better. Using only Win8 Start Screen will drive you nuts though on the desktop.

Win10 is very visually slick though so there is that.

92% vs 32% upgrade complete, starting to get somewhere. Took longer than expected! It switched around displays a lot by the way, but seems to end where you started.

Edit: logged in for first time.

I was fine with win8 start screen, I am used to type the name of what I want and pin what I use most. But it was ugly and wasted space on the Desktop.

Last edited:
Upgrade successful, so far so good, everything still seems to work and looks much nicer.

EDIT: other PC also seems to be in good order.

Last edited:
My wife's network adapter is not working properly, resulting in no internet. That's a bit of a pity! Will try to figure out tomorrow.

My wife's network adapter is not working properly, resulting in no internet. That's a bit of a pity! Will try to figure out tomorrow.
Is the problem in device manager? If its just no internet, that happened to me but it was my antivirus had to uninstall and reinstall. Though I didn't know if reinstalling would bring the problem back before hand so I took a chance.

...Your wife runs on batteries?

That, uh...explains some things... :oops::oops::oops:
The bitching stops when the battery dies, YEAH! :D

Cortana is still chewing battery, not sure how to get that service correctly nuked from orbit. That, or something else is consuming power under the context of Cortana's service. I also have noticed that the live tiles on the Surface rarely, if ever, update themselves. I've only seen the weather tile once show ANY stats a single time since I've been prodding. The big battery consumers today for the Surface were, again, the Edge browser and Cortana. Not sure what to think...

Is the problem in device manager? If its just no internet, that happened to me but it was my antivirus had to uninstall and reinstall. Though I didn't know if reinstalling would bring the problem back before hand so I took a chance.

It sees it in device manager without issue, but Windows 10 reports that there is no network adapter, regular or wireless.

So there were a couple of Windows Updates for Win7 yesterday & they are Compatibility Updates for Windows Update, looks like I'm not the only one who had it failing for some reason.
After installing & rebooting It's popped up the Upgrade to Win10 dialogue so I'm underway :)

So looks like the problem for my wife's PC was a version of the Cisco VPN software which uses a Citrix DNE component that isn't properly upgraded when updating to Windows 10, which breaks the whole networking. I've tried some of the mentioned workarounds, but no luck, so I'm now trying the solution (that has worked for several) to revert to 8.1, then uninstall the vpn software, and then update again ... shame, but oh well.

I'm in & busy turning off various MS defaults...
Trying to find where my Audio is not playing via my Logitec headset for no apparent reason.
Certain windows seem to have hellish blury text

Audio problem workaround

Manually set default device. Replug speakers. Randomly change bit depth and freq

Ok, so revert to 8.1 was quick and painless. Then getting the Cisco to install showed it wasn't completely in order anymore - here is where running the DNE update fixed things, after which I could uninstall it (though maybe didn't even have to anymore, but I don't need it anymore anyway). Now restarting the upgrade process ... Hopefully no more issues!

So it started working when I Uninstalled the driver...
But its only playing stereo.

Aaaand download new x64 Logitec software for Win 10 & it tells me its incompatible...
Edit: Or it just didn't actually download the x64 one/I clicked download before the page refreshed when I switched to the 64bit....

Edit2: OK after reinstalling Logitec software it is seeing my mouse & headset, Windows sees the 7.1 mode on headset :)

Edit3: God it can be frustrating shifting around the pinned to Start stuff into the order I want them...

Edit4: I miss Glass on window title bars :(
And I wish I could set the transparency level they put on the Start menu.

I do not like the default colour theme thing & can't see where I can change the Selected colour away from the blue its got, probably buried somewhere.

Man those legacy program windows look nasty :-?
Seriously is it something with scaling settings I can change or something? So blurry.

Can I turn off the 'this program is running' underscore thing on the task bar?

Last edited:
agh windows 10 audio is a mess.

i have HDMI audio to my TV. Then i want to output HDMI Audio to my DVD player (it have HDMI ARC)
so i put the HDMI to my DVD player but no monitor is detected no audio device plugged. Heck, my HDTV audio also became unplugged.

a few restart and my DVD player detected as unknow monitor and i can expand desktop to it.

but... STILL NO AUDIO DEVICE PLUGGED.
yikes....

Not strictly a Windows 10 thing, it started fairly recently in Win7: Anyone manage to successfully get the Logitec software to load on boot?
My mouse speed is all messed up without it & I think the headset fails to go 7.1 mode.

Load on Windows start is enabled in the software options, its in the Startup section on Task Manager.
I ran compatibility wizard, it has 'run as admin' enabled, I even tried putting it in the Startup folder of Start in Win7, just always fails to load.

Cortana isn't working for me - it says it's not currently supported in my selected region but I'm in the UK, the PC's region is set to UK, and as far as I can tell, all the language options are set to UK too. And I believe UK is supported. So no idea what's wrong. It might have something to do with me uninstalling the US language pack though as I was fed up of seeing the language switch option in this system tray and the only way i could get rid was to remove any options (leaving only UK English).

I do not like the default colour theme thing & can't see where I can change the Selected colour away from the blue its got, probably buried somewhere.
Should be under settings -> personalization ->colour

I don't recall if it's default to select the colour based on the background/wallpaper, but anyways, should be pretty straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back