Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, maybe that's the deal. I do not often use her Surface, but it wasn't intuitive how to get it back. I'll dork around with it again tonight, but this is all Microsoft OS, hardware and (Skype) software that tossed my wife into her minor frenzy. I would have hoped this would have been better tested :/

hey I just realized the keyboard on taskbar is missing.

but I used phone as keyboard. no effect for my PC.

glad I didn't upgrade my tablet to 10

oooh found it by right clicking Om taskbar and

show touch keyboard.

but it will appear on system tray instead of taskbar

oooh found it by right clicking Om taskbar and

show touch keyboard.

but it will appear on system tray instead of taskbar
Ah, this must be what Zaphod is referring to. Haven't seen this in Win10, but good to know that someone else ran into it and feels like this is the appropriate fix. Love me some Beyond3D :D

DoNotSpy10 is the world’s first antispy tool for Windows 10. Its straight-forward user interface allows you to manage how Windows 10 respects their privacy.

Freeware
Current Version: 1.0.0.0
Supports Windows 10
German and English user interface (depending on the system language)
Clean and simple user interface
Lets you easily protect your privacy

DoNotSpy10 is the world’s first antispy tool for Windows 10. Its straight-forward user interface allows you to manage
how Windows 10 respects their privacy. Microsoft introduces many new “diagnostic” features with Windows 10. These services help Microsoft collect usage data and thus to provide a better service. However, collecting and sharing your data with one of the world’s leading technology companies puts your privacy at risk. There are services which are able to record your keyboard input, your speech and any other actions of the user. Others share your WiFi credentials with your contact or connect you to networks shared by your contacts. DoNotSpy10 provides you with the opportunity to easily manage what you want to share and what not. While many of the settings represent what you can configure using the Settings and various other apps, there are also tweaks that are not easily accessible through the apps Windows provides.
DoNotSpy10 combines them all in one application – it’s time to protect your privacy, let’s start!

Current Features

Disable Telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera
Disable and Reset Cortana
Disable Location
Disable Sensors
Disable Web Search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access
Defer Windows Upgrades
Disable App Notifications
Disable Password Reveal Button
Disable and Reset Advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs
Disable Sending Writing Info
Disable Access to Language List
Disable App Access to Location Info
Disable App Access to Camera
Disable App Access to Microphone
Disable Getting to know me
Disable App Access to Account Info
Disable App Access to Calendar
Disable App Access to Messages
Disable App Access to Radios
Disable Sync With Devices
Disable Windows Feedback Requestes
Disable Windows Update Sharing
Disable Windows Update for other Products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable Automatic Windows Updates
Disable OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Update

http://pxc-coding.com/de/portfolio/donotspy10/

I'm not running Win 10 so can not comment on functionality, but at least should give an idea of features with "default" enable settings.

Edit: Here's another "light weight" version available on github.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-limit-windows-10-tracking-there-is-an-app-for-that/

Last edited:
[sarcasm]
Freeware
Current Version: 1.0.0.0
Supports Windows 10
German and English user interface (depending on the system language)
Clean and simple user interface
Lets you easily protect your privacy

DoNotSpy10 is the world’s first antispy tool for Windows 10. Its straight-forward user interface allows you to manage
how Windows 10 respects their privacy. Microsoft introduces many new “diagnostic” features with Windows 10. These services help Microsoft collect usage data and thus to provide a better service. However, collecting and sharing your data with one of the world’s leading technology companies puts your privacy at risk. There are services which are able to record your keyboard input, your speech and any other actions of the user. Others share your WiFi credentials with your contact or connect you to networks shared by your contacts. DoNotSpy10 provides you with the opportunity to easily manage what you want to share and what not. While many of the settings represent what you can configure using the Settings and various other apps, there are also tweaks that are not easily accessible through the apps Windows provides.
DoNotSpy10 combines them all in one application – it’s time to protect your privacy, let’s start!

Current Features

Disable Telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera
Disable and Reset Cortana
Disable Location
Disable Sensors
Disable Web Search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access
Defer Windows Upgrades
Disable App Notifications
Installs Ask.com Toolbar
Disable Password Reveal Button
Disable and Reset Advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs
Installs Yahoo! Toolbar
Disable Sending Writing Info
Disable Access to Language List
Disable App Access to Location Info
Disable App Access to Camera
Disable App Access to Microphone
Disable Getting to know me
Installs Amazon Toolbar
Disable App Access to Account Info
Disable App Access to Calendar
Disable App Access to Messages
Disable App Access to Radios
Disable Sync With Devices
Disable Windows Feedback Requestes
Disable Windows Update Sharing
Disable Windows Update for other Products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable Automatic Windows Updates
Disable OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Update
[/sarcasm]:runaway:

Not sure what caused this bug... Saw it last night as I was shutting down. The text wasn't just invisible, nothing happened when I clicked the areas above it (settings, file explorer etc).

Maybe it was telling me to go to bed.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 15
I Bought my surface 3 for the W10 rollout and I'm pretty happy so far. Switch between desktop and tablet modes is smooth. Edge is very fast, just needs gestures. I couldn't imagine using IE with an Atom CPU.

We're still waiting for Windows to tell us we can upgrade ... and I have this week off still. *snif*

IIRC you can download the media creation tool and choose upgrade this PC. No waiting necessary.
yups no need to wait

heck,it also not need to have all updates installed.my win 7 have update error for last 20 something update. works upgrade off iso

I sat down with my wife's Surface Pro last night to work through the issues she's experiencing.

First, thank you to @Zaphod for the keyboard toolbar suggestion, that worked exactly as I hoped. One down!

Next, her battery was rapidly depleting and I worked through a number of items to find root cause. A large part of it was Cortana -- she was supposedly turned off, yet conspired to chew through ~22% of my wife's battery usage in the last 24 hours. I went back through the Cortana wizard to again re-certify that she's turned off, and then removed her tile from start. I also then disabled the Edge browser's ability to operate in the background, as it had ganged up with Cortana to knock another ~26% of my wife's battery into the dev/null bucket.

Also discovered that bluetooth being enabled (and yet, not being used) sucks an inordinate amount of power for some reason. Turned that off, also ran the powercmd.exe /energy report and found that W10 keeps the removable keyboard + mouse driver loaded as an active device, even when it's not attached. The selective suspend on that USB root hub would then not function as those devices were allowed to wake the PC, and were always seen as available. As my wife never uses the keyboard for waking the PC, I unchecked that box for the device and immediately got selective suspend working for another 500mA of reported draw savings.

Finally, I loaded up Intel Burn Test, set the critical battery alarm action to "Do Nothing", and let the machine run the battery to absolute zero. Dorked with it a few times after it "died" to continue milking the battery to as close to zero as feasible. Purportedly, this is the only way to re-calibrate the Surface Pro battery life logic. Let it fully charge up overnight, and now her battery life meter as well as general battery usage should now be well in check.

Showed her the difference between tablet mode and not-tablet mode , I think she prefers not-tablet mode for how she uses the device. She's getting better with Edge browser, even moreso when in "not-tablet" mode since she at least now understands it's a desktop-based browser experience (ie requires use of the back button.) Also makes more sense for her to use the taskbar icons and the "X" window close rather than swipe-down.

When I get home today, I'm sure I'll either get an earful of how it still sucks, or else I'll hear nothing and all is well :)

Thanks for the tips ... here goes my main PC, wish me luck ...

(EDIT: it helps that I'll get a work laptop Monday which I'm sure won't be Windows 10 ;) )

Last edited:
So it appears it's not possible to select 0% brightness from the side panel? 25, 50, 75, 100. 25% is way too bright in a dimly lit room.

I'm thinking of going back to 8.1 on my tablet because I don't think anything is actually better on 10 for it.

Last edited:
Giving up so soon? There's bound to be a way around it. By the way, download was really slow so tried it on second PC and it just flew right by the other which was at 12% when the second PC completed. Decided to restart the tool on the first and sure enough download was much faster. The other one is now starting with the actual upgrade, will be interesting to see if the first can still catch up.

Giving up so soon? There's bound to be a way around it. By the way, download was really slow so tried it on second PC and it just flew right by the other which was at 12% when the second PC completed. Decided to restart the tool on the first and sure enough download was much faster. The other one is now starting with the actual upgrade, will be interesting to see if the first can still catch up.
Well I can navigate to the power settings and set it to 0% brightness there. win 8 had a slider for full 1% increment control from 0 - 100% right in the charms bar.

But I also don't like Edge very much.... I want my swiping back.

As a desktop OS it seems fine though. I'm not even bothering with Classic Shell.

Last edited:
By the way, download was really slow so tried it on second PC and it just flew right by the other which was at 12% when the second PC completed. Decided to restart the tool on the first and sure enough download was much faster. The other one is now starting with the actual upgrade, will be interesting to see if the first can still catch up.
Wow you're doing both PC's at once, you're a braver man than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back