WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the cpu and gpu are always running at full clock, it would eliminate slowdown in cube games, though it wouldn't allow them to exceed the intended framerate. That would only happen assuming Nintendo didn't include the ability to downclock its chips though.
It would make sense if the Wii was downclocked when playing GC games in order to avoid compatibility issues caused by possible timing differences.

Who said anything about a misprint? It's impossible to transfer new transistors over the Internet and add them to an existing chip. The Wii's GPU simply doesn't have enough transistors for super-advanced shader models, and we've seen one (badly translated) interview from Nintendo and one from Ubisoft saying that no, the Wii doesn't have advanced shader capabilities.

So ,the wii is not capable of advance shader modes, The cpu is permanently clocked at 735mhz? Double the pixels pipeline than the gamecube,???
Am i missing something here, even without the capabilitie of high definition straining the system will it be able to compete with the competition?
I know i read something more to this in the past but many things than were kept in the shadows.
After 5 years aren't there any application that can improve the shader capabilities?
Thank you.

As i said i am new to this, That is why I not to egotistic took name my self the student, i am struggling on most of the technical meanings so if i make a novice mistake on this form please be understanding, my point is it possible for nintendo to have made a chip cpu or gpu so they could via download and or update it!
and why?

No it is not, but this doesnt mean that we will not see improvements over time, as devs arent using Wii full potential and overtime they will be able to do that.

The Wii's GPU simply doesn't have enough transistors for super-advanced shader models, and we've seen one (badly translated) interview from Nintendo and one from Ubisoft saying that no, the Wii doesn't have advanced shader capabilities.

It may still have some good shading improvements over GC, if I understund well things like EMBM, or even the TEV, with enought raw power they can do some very nice things, but on the GC they are limited by the raw power. Hardwired fxs can also do some very nice improvements to replace shaders (if there is any).

After reading even more of this fourms post and the japanese transcript I think i am starting to understand a little bit more please correct me if i am wrong.
At the beginning we all kinda thought that the revolution was going to have a redesigned kinda technology. (and perhaps they do)
instead we got a Improved gamecube X3.
maybe revolution was ment more as to force developers to focus on gameplay instead of gpx. not abandoning it but putting it 2 to last, with the new control schemes and a easier development platform they would have to change the ways of game developing to sell a wii game successfully, now this is not a way forward technicaly but in creating it would be a shove forwarded. We also have to considered the ds connectivity which will firther more creativity.
And nintendo may have a small back door to the spec problem, the unused usb ports, if a gpu or cpu upgrade was needed could they go down that road? wii dd?
Thank you.

And nintendo may have a small back door to the spec problem, the unused usb ports, if a gpu or cpu upgrade was needed could they go down that road? wii dd?
Thank you.
No, USB isn't fast enough to stick a video card there, and it would be a complete marketing disaster even if it were.

No, USB isn't fast enough to stick a video card there, and it would be a complete marketing disaster even if it were.

I agree fearsomepirate with you about the marketing problems but i thought as 360 could upscale 1080p, with a attachment nintendo could lets say two years or so could say now we can have hd games with our new add on. people would probably agree and buy it, as they did for the 360 hd dvd player, In the same concept as the gba with out a light.
They theoretically ugrade the system, make it simulated hd, parts would be cheaper and they would have time to improve their technology. Come to think of it george harrison mention on record( hd? well x-box 360 could do it, why couldn't we do it?)
The wii would be the core.
Thank you.

It would make sense if the Wii was downclocked when playing GC games in order to avoid compatibility issues caused by possible timing differences.

Supposedly, the 3rd party gameboy advance emulator runs at 1.5x speed when run in the wii in gamecube mode, which indicates a timing issue I'd say. Additionally, Nintendo spoke a bit about their development environment when GameCube came out, and I believe mentioned most things would be limited to high level coding, similar to a PC, which may take care of most major timing issues. (Anything mission critical Nintendo may have absolutely required be kept high level)

with a attachment nintendo could lets say two years or so could say now we can have hd games with our new add on.

No, we couldn't. USB doesn't transfer data fast enough for you to do anything like what you're imagining. If you did plug a new video chip or a RAM upgrade into the USB, it would be too slow to be useful. To compare, USB 2.0 transfers at 60 MB/s. The bandwidth to the GDDR3 on Wii, by contrast, is more 100 times faster.

X360's 1080p update is a software update. It doesn't require you to buy any new peripherals.

I agree fearsomepirate with you about the marketing problems but i thought as 360 could upscale 1080p, with a attachment nintendo could lets say two years or so could say now we can have hd games with our new add on. people would probably agree and buy it, as they did for the 360 hd dvd player, In the same concept as the gba with out a light.
They theoretically ugrade the system, make it simulated hd, parts would be cheaper and they would have time to improve their technology. Come to think of it george harrison mention on record( hd? well x-box 360 could do it, why couldn't we do it?)
The wii would be the core.
Thank you.

If if the addon would be possible (wich it isnt like fearsome says) what is the use of it? you dont buy a Wii for fancy gfx. Nintendo focusses all marketing on the controller, that is why you should buy a Wii. Its not important for nintendo if you can upgrade to hd resolution (keep in mind that it wont do alot for the gfx because you're still stuck with the limited processing power in the wii) because their machine isnt focussed around it anyway.

If if the addon would be possible (wich it isnt like fearsome says) what is the use of it? you dont buy a Wii for fancy gfx. Nintendo focusses all marketing on the controller, that is why you should buy a Wii. Its not important for nintendo if you can upgrade to hd resolution (keep in mind that it wont do alot for the gfx because you're still stuck with the limited processing power in the wii) because their machine isnt focussed around it anyway.

Ok i see now the usb would not be fast enough, thanks pirate i did not realized that fact.what if it was to access only the optical disk media from wii from the usb.a add on of sort, and make the add on the new core. wii1.2?
Highly unlikely i know, but is it possible? if it would be, would it be worth it? thank you toung-of-colicab i am just speculating ideas if they had to compete with what they got could they upgrade?

Ok i see now the usb would not be fast enough, thanks pirate i did not realized that fact.what if it was to access only the optical disk media from wii from the usb.a add on of sort, and make the add on the new core. wii1.2?
So your idea is to use the Wii as a $250 DVD drive for a new home console? That's not a good idea. There will be no Wii "upgrade." The system isn't built to be upgraded. There's no useful way to use the USB parts for a computational power enhancement. I think you need to just stop dreaming about an upgrade, because there's pretty much no way for it to happen. The system is what it is.

Personally I think they should have made the console with the chance of being upgradable in the future, actually they did it with every other console in the past (or with the catridges or the console itself), a big design failure IMO.

This because, it would be cheap to make such a port and a PR stunt to cover the real purpose and it can very easly extend the console life easly, greatly and cheap (I mean double the memory and the CPU would be less than 25$, later it can very easly be less than 10$, none wouldnt buy it (imagine what you could do with 45nm chips) thing that in the Wii may very well be a greater plus once that 1) the HW architeture is well know and will not show (as big) improvements (as one is used to see), 2) the novelity will sonner or later wears off 3) the creative games will also start to be each time less 4) the competition will be much stroger (price, AAA games that cant happen in the Wii ...).

A bounch of cheap xPUs and 64 MB of Ram would make a good improvements on gfx, console life, interest from both devs and gamers, creativity.

Unless they want to go to with a shorter life cycle console t is really a pity personally cant understand why they didnt.

there will be no hardware upgrade (CPU, GPU, RAM etc) for Wii of any kind. just software that makes more and more use of what is already there. much the same as with the GameCube.

the next Nintendo console "upgrade" will come in the form of a new console; Wii2, WiiHD, Super Wii or whatever they decide to call it, in 4~5 years.

even when Nintendo releases that Wii with DVD playback, it will still be the same Wii in terms of gaming capability, graphics, sound etc.

Nintendo is training developers (and even themselves) to focus on gameplay, control, interaction with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck, without any large upgrade in CPU and graphics. once developers become used to making new types of games &gameplay, Nintendo will probably settle for a next-gen console that is somewhat more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics, even if not on par with Xbox720 and PS4.

even when Nintendo releases that Wii with DVD playback, it will still be the same Wii in terms of gaming capability, graphics, sound etc.

Nintendo is training developers (and even themselves) to focus on gameplay, control, interaction with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck, without any large upgrade in CPU and graphics. once developers become used to making new types of games &gameplay, Nintendo will probably settle for a next-gen console that is somewhat more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics, even if not on par with Xbox720 and PS4.

Then please, do explain me, why did they stick there so many damn transistors, if they're not "large upgrades"? I mean the GPU alone is well over twice the size it "should be" if it was just minor upgrade

Thank you all for your explanations you really are helping me understand on a deeper level.
So if i understand correctly there is no way of going through the usb, no to go through the flash i would guess or someone would of came out with that idea. So there is only two ways of a upgrade, one go the gba ds way and make a better wii that can support gc,wii and i suppose hd wii.
Or do the ipod way and keep releasing different console every two years, which is very similar two my first way.
Well be it as it may, i will enjoy the time of the wii and look forward to see how the ds intergraton with wii and future devices that all so could lengthen the wii capabilities
in the future.
Thank you.

I'm pretty sure most of you read the ask iwata on wii.com but if you have or haven't maybe you can explain what this using semiconductor in a different ways means?
Thank you.

I'm pretty sure most of you read the ask iwata on wii.com but if you have or haven't maybe you can explain what this using semiconductor in a different ways means?
Thank you.

Bad translation. I think he meant using advances in semiconductor processing not as a way to cram up more technology in a big box (like Sony or MS), but as a way to build a smaller, cooler, device (Wii).

Personally I think they should have made the console with the chance of being upgradable in the future, actually they did it with every other console in the past (or with the catridges or the console itself), a big design failure IMO.

I think that something like that just isnt workable these days. In the snes days you could include a chip on the cartridge but this were all fairly lowtech cheap to design and build chips. That already stopped with the n64 that only got the expansion pack.

I doubt having expansionpacks for consoles would work these days. You cant inclusde the chip with the game anymore like in the snes days and you can only make 1 expansion pack and even that would be limited in terms of what it can include. And because devs dont know if you own it it will probably not be used very often just like the n64 expansion pack. And thats without including the fact that it will probably be anything but cheap.

Unless they want to go to with a shorter life cycle console t is really a pity personally cant understand why they didnt.

Because they are not focussing on gfx and horsepower. In nintendo's way of thinking good gfx arnt nesecary because the reason people (should) buy a Wii is because of the controller. So the controller has to be the center of attention. They did that for 2 reasons. They want to expand the market. The controller should get even on gamers interrested in gaming and the price should convince them into buying it. So they couldnt go with a expansive system. And the second reason is that going the ps3/x360 way would just fail again for nintendo. So they decided to put themselves in a different position buy putting the wiimote up as the reason to buy the wii and not because of the gfx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back