Why does Gilette shaving cream suck so bad?

Well in a recent test they said basically all those creams or gels contain too many chemical ingredients (the sensitive too). Recommended are "bio" creams sold in "health food shops". I never tried one though.

I don't use multiblades, only Bic shavers because I read that multiblades can make hairs to grow back into the skin and cause inflammations. They shave too good.

As aftershave I tried an Adidas one and it seems to be very good as the skin gets very good blood circulation after use. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Dumb point, but Gillette does animal testing so I try like hell not to use their products.

Yes, I'm a furrball lover. :oops:

EDITED BITS: Nevermind, apparently Gillette stopped that and is now a cruelty-free brand....I guess I can check one of them 19 blade razors out...

Yeah you really gotta wonder about innovation in the shaving industry sometimes.. I can just see Gillette sitting in the corporate HQs with graphs and schematics and the CEO going WHAT.. THREE blades? That's brilliant! Why didn't we ever think of that before? I'm thinking ROI, shareholder value.. price hike I say!

And then Wilkinson's engineering department goes all depressed and has to have meetings to explain how they really caught us off guard with that move but never fear for we have a cunning plan.. after months of thinking we came up with this concept of FOUR!! blades. That'll teach em..

Anyway, personally I shave wet daily, and I really like the smooth feel of Gillette Mach 3 with Gillette gel for sensitive skin, while in the shower. And I think them blades are just fine for 2 weeks to a month of use.

Florin said:
Yeah you really gotta wonder about innovation in the shaving industry sometimes.. I can just see Gillette sitting in the corporate HQs with graphs and schematics and the CEO going WHAT.. THREE blades? That's brilliant! Why didn't we ever think of that before? I'm thinking ROI, shareholder value.. price hike I say!

And then Wilkinson's engineering department goes all depressed and has to have meetings to explain how they really caught us off guard with that move but never fear for we have a cunning plan.. after months of thinking we came up with this concept of FOUR!! blades. That'll teach em..
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930
Natural next step, wouldn't you say?

Actually, one of the funnier moments was one I saw on a sign in front of a Walgreen's during my commute to work one day. They were apparently having a sale on the battery-powered Mach3s... A.K.A. "Mach3 Power" razors. But somehow or other, they tried to abbreviate it more than just M3Power or something and got the letters mixed up. End result was the sign reading "MP3 Razor." Now THAT is an idea that stands for progress.

And I think them blades are just fine for 2 weeks to a month of use.
Yeesh. I think it's that 2 weeks to a month that's the big problem. Getting 2 or 3 new cartridges costs every bit as much as replacing the razor (and having 2 cartridges included). Planned obsolescence is one thing, but yeesh. I at least hang on to a cartridge for a while, but then I'm not shaving everyday as you said you were.

It has a piezo-electric motor in it which vibrates the blades back and forth at high speed. So it's kind of like making lots and lots of *really* small strokes rather than one or two long sweeps.

Supposedly it's better, it's the best a man can get, and chicks give more sex to guys who use it (that's what the ads say, so it must be true).

No, you fool! It's obviously so that the razor can play MP3s!! Duu-uuh! :p

Seriously, though...
It has a piezo-electric motor in it which vibrates the blades back and forth at high speed. So it's kind of like making lots and lots of *really* small strokes rather than one or two long sweeps.
Supposedly, they claim it also makes the blade more "effectively sharp" and last a little longer by not exposing a blade to the stresses associated with a stroke straight through a tough facial hair, and instead letting them go little by little through a hair. I don't know how much I'd believe a statement like that, but it's more believable (and far less captivating) than a babe magically appearing for no purpose other than to slide her hand over a newly shorn face.

ShootMyMonkey said:
lol! :LOL:

I guess the other bonus is that you now get to buy batteries for your non-electric razor as well as blades. Yay!

* /me watches out for Gillette in corporate take-over of Duracell...

digitalwanderer said:
I do not get the idea of a razor with a battery. :???:

So digy, the ide is actually supposedly to desensitize the nerves, check this out some biased commentary from a guy who works at gillete supposedly, but it isn't all bad.

It is about the fusion, which does have 5 blades btw, but the blade on the back is an excellent idea.

The 5 blades are thinner and as such, are more tightly spaced to each other. It allows the angle of approach on the blades to be less aggressive to your face (improving comfort), whlie still cutting really close.

The trimmer on the back is to 'save' the cutting integrity of the blades on the front. Your sideburn hair is thicker than your normal beard hair, so the concept is to dull up the 1 blade, vs. damaging the 5 main blades. It also allows you to get into the undernose region that some mach3 users can't reach.

Depends on your skin sensitivity.

Despite whatever the advertising says, the design concept behind the vibrations is to de-sensitise your skin nerves.

Cartridges sold for powered shaving have a more aggressive blade in them, which basically cuts closer to your skin. This would be less comfortable without the vibration numbing your skin.

For people with really sensitive skin, use the non-powered cartidges on the powered handle. You get the numbing affect and the less aggressive shave.
Negative. Wear on the blades are primarily due to people not preparing their hair properly.

Remember, the very tip of the blade is coated.... the steel doesn't actually cut your beard hair, the coating does, which can't oxidize.
Most people just slap on shaving cream/gel and go at it -- that pretty much doesn't do anything to assist shaving though. What matters is allowing water to get into the hair. To do that, you wash your face with soap (breaks down the oil that coats hair), and let the water hydrate the beard hair.

The longer you let the hair hydrate...
the softer the hair gets...
the less damage occurs to the blade edge...
the blades last a loooooooooong time.

That why you get the best shave in the shower. Wash your face first, do your other stuff, and by the time you're done, your hair is begging to be cut.
Closeness.

If you look at it on high speed video, the first blade engages and anchors itself into the hair. As you drag the razor forward, the hair gets tugged slightly out of the follicle.

By the time the primary blade cuts the hair, the hair is actually pulled forward, where the later blades are able to get at the exposed protruding stubble.

You simply can't get that type of shave stroking a single blade multiple times.
On the blade ruining part -- see the earlier post about preparation. Longer hair does not damage the blades any more than short hair does. Shorter strokes, rinse more often -- should last just as many shaves.

On the cartridge being too big part -- ya, it was the biggest Mach3 complaint -- hence the design upgrade on Fusion. Retro-tooling other Gillette products with a trimmer is out of the question, you have no idea what that would cost.
All electric shavers have to have thick cutting systems (because they are permanent). In the game of cutting hair, thick = reallllllly bad. So the short answer is no, for most men.

I have the choice of shaving with anything, and I personally still use Mach3 (not turbo). It's the best match for my hair and skin. If I haven't indicated this already above in the posts -- all Gillette products are different, and many men's skin & beard hair fall into multiple classes. Every man finds the best match for him at some point. With newer not necessarily always being better. Hence, you have people swearing by this prodocut or another. Sure, some people will swear by their electric, and that's because they'll have sparse, thin, and weak hair that is located within less sensitive skin.

It seems to imply that perhaps their electric razors might actually send a small current that desensitizes the skin, but it is hush-hush or something, whatever...

edit: Interestingly enough shick won an injunction against their old add saying that it made the hairs stand up, since it did not.

Sxotty said:
It seems to imply that perhaps their electric razors might actually send a small current that desensitizes the skin, but it is hush-hush or something, whatever..
Think bandwidth.

ShootMyMonkey said:

Seriously, though...

Supposedly, they claim it also makes the blade more "effectively sharp" and last a little longer by not exposing a blade to the stresses associated with a stroke straight through a tough facial hair, and instead letting them go little by little through a hair. I don't know how much I'd believe a statement like that, but it's more believable (and far less captivating) than a babe magically appearing for no purpose other than to slide her hand over a newly shorn face.

I worked in a cheese cutting and packing factory last summer :), some machines were using an ultrasound vibrating blade.

nutball said:
lol! :LOL:

I guess the other bonus is that you now get to buy batteries for your non-electric razor as well as blades. Yay!

* /me watches out for Gillette in corporate take-over of Duracell...

I can't tell if you knew and were joking, but just in case:

Gillette is owned by Proctor and Gamble.
Duracell is owned by Proctor and Gamble.

The M3 Power comes from the factory with a Duracell AAA in it.

Sxotty said:
It seems to imply that perhaps their electric razors might actually send a small current that desensitizes the skin, but it is hush-hush or something, whatever...
From what I read, the poster said the vibration does the work. I haven't actually held a M3 Power shaver in my hand so I don't know how noticeable these vibrations are. If it's piezoelectric elements that do the vibration, it pretty much has to be somewhere in the multiple kilohertz range tho and won't therefore be detectable by human nerves. Besides, where do you see the electrical connections that would lead any current into the skin? Also, to penetrate the skin, it would have to be a sizeable voltage, 10-20x of what a razor battery carries, perhaps even more, and that would definitely be noticeable.

If it's just a standard motor, the frequency will be low and there will be a detectable shaking of the handle like a standard dry-shave electric razor... Still, I don't think it's really going to desensitize anything. Doesn't seem like such a small device is capable of doing that.

Back