Why does Gilette shaving cream suck so bad?

Just a technical correction I realized: shaving cream doesn't suck, it's actually propelled when it's dispensed.
yep.gif

Shave in the shower then. If I want a really smooth shave I just wait till after everything else is washed and the hair has softened alot in the water. If you really want you can rub a bit of soap into it to make it fully painless.

digitalwanderer said:
Real men who grow peachfuzz after about a week, yes. When you actually have something to cut there you might just feel a bit different.

;)

I get pretty thick black beard after one day (though I still only shave every other day because I'm too darn lazy). But I have never liked shaving cream. I find it pretty useless. I shave in the shower instead. A few minutes of water prepares the skin so much better than any shaving cream I've ever tried.

Blitzkrieg said:
Shave in the shower then. If I want a really smooth shave I just wait till after everything else is washed and the hair has softened alot in the water. If you really want you can rub a bit of soap into it to make it fully painless.

This is what I do. I've always found shaving in the shower to be so much easier and completely painless.

I guess that burnig sensation is supposed to feel "cooling" and "refreshing", must be the menthol or some other stuff.
However if you have dry skin, it can be too irritating, and in winter, especially if it is -20 degrees celcius and the air is very dry and makes your skin dry too, you should avoid irritating your skin more than necessary.
I mostly shave without any foams, in the shover, or use just some plain moisturizing cream instead of shaving foam. Shaving in sauna is also very comfortable as the heat softens your hair, that's where I shave my balls.

Humus said:
Real men shave without cream.

Yeah, there are electric shavers as well! :p

On topic: for me, there's nothing better than Gillette Sensitive Gel. Nothing.

And I also have burning sensation from anything with mentol.

Why does Gilette shaving cream suck so bad?

Because their whole marketing is targeted to the straight average bloke who doesn't give a damn about their skin and only buy Gillette products cause it reeks of straightness and "the best a man can get"-ness and smell of gasoline, therefore Gillette have NO interest in actually making a good product?

I use Nivea gel stuff. SO much better. But then again, i hardly ever wet shave...

rabidrabbit said:
Shaving in sauna is also very comfortable as the heat softens your hair, that's where I shave my balls.

Thanks for that....... :???: From now on whenever i go into a sauna, i'll be paranoid about people shaving their balls in there....

I use cheap disposable razors, first had Gillette Mach 3 but I fail to see how it's much better and blades are fcking expensive.. 8€ for 4 blades is a steal.

as for the cream I don't care at all and use whatever one (never tried Gillette though)

Blazkowicz_ said:
I use cheap disposable razors, first had Gillette Mach 3 but I fail to see how it's much better and blades are fcking expensive..
*Shudder*

Disposable razors are death to the skin IMO. The blades are, well, cheap. They feel dull, tear the skin and don't have that smooth feel of mach3 blades. Maybe there's some uber kind of cheap disposable ones, but all the kinds I've tried simply feel crap in comparison to something more real.

crappiest I have ever bought was a cheap non disposable razor, branded "Carrefour", it was really terrible (though it was a 3 blade razor if I recall correctly)

I buy distributor brand (simply called "U")). sure it's maybe not the greatest but decent enough for me. Near equivalent would be Bic razors if you know of them. I have to admit I don't care too much about skin irritation and I don't mind the occasional cutting myself :)

Yes, Mach 3 has that smooth feel but only at first use IMHO; I use blades at least twice or three times.

also, did anyone try a classic razor such as this one? I'd like to know how it feels :)
http://scissors.razor-scissors.com/razor_products/108.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using moisturizing Miracle II soap. I've stopped using Gillette and all the other gels, because this stuff doesn't give me razor burn (and I use disposables :LOL: )

Pffft, I get whatever razor is currently on sale at CVS. :rolleyes:

That reminds me, I really gotta shave. My kids get on my case if I go more than a day without shaving now, I get all stubbly. :???:

Speaking of Mach 3 (the "normal" version), there's nothing that even comes near.

And keep away from Wilkinson Quattro, it's crap.

Back