Apple Thunderbolt Display Mini-review (Grall definition of "mini"...)

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Lugged this thing home today - literally. The display itself, all 27" 16:9 aspect inches of it, weighs about 10.5 kg, roughly 22ish bass-ackwards US lbs. It comes packaged in a huge white cardboard box with a handle up top which is really really uncomfortable to use for any prolonged period of time.

The display uses - as its name suggests - Intel Thunderbolt technology, which packages two bi-directional 10Gbit/s data links carrying PCI Express bus protocol, along with two Displayport 1.1 video channels and up to 10 watts of power in a single slender cable that ends in a tiny 20-pin Mini Displayport plug. Thunderbolt I/O is used to drive the monitor's built-in array of ports, including 3 USB2 connectors, one Firewire 800 connector, one gigabit Ethernet port, a 720P CMOS camera, 49W 2.1 stereo speakers, and a Thunderbolt daisy-chain connector.

Speaking of packaging, it has the tell-tale minimalistic Apple display, there's a big "Thunderbolt Display" headline in bold letters stating what it contains, along with bright color shots of the monitor hooked up to a Macbook Pro on one side and a Macbook Air on the reverse, and one single line of basic specs. There's also an Apple logo on the short ends of the packaging, and then nothing else.

Inside is an instruction booklet tucked away in a fold-out cardboard holder adorned with a boastful "Designed in California" (but not the typically accompanying "Assembled in China"... :LOL:), and three large pieces of styrofoam securing the monitor itself, as well as holding the cords.

The monitor is wrapped in a sleeve made of some kind of non-woven fiber material that goes over the entire display portion of the device, while a tear-away plastic sheet protects the solid aluminium stand. Not sure why that'd be necessary, but I assume it's part of the typical Apple exclusive finish they perpetuate in their gear. Removing that stuff, and the matte aluminium/high-gloss glass exterior is revealed. The glass portion is again protected by another layer of adhesive plastic film which takes some effort to remove, but thankfully leaves no glue residue on the glass and metal surfaces.

The combined thunderbolt I/O cable and magsafe charging connector is permanently attached to the display's casing - a bit inconvenient in case longer thunderbolt cables are ever introduced to the market - while the power cable is separate. You can plug in any standard 3-prong power cable into the device, but the one Apple supplies visually matches the colors and design style of the device (of course...)

There are no other accessories included; essentially what you pay for is just the display itself, and its power cord.

Using the display:
First of all, it's really huge and takes up a lot of deskspace. Not only is a 27" 16:9 panel quite wide in of itself, but Apple has adorned this thing with a wide black bezel all around making it considerably wider still - by upwards of 20-25mm on each side I'd reckon. It's also extremely extremely glossy and reflects basically any light source in the vicinity. Right now I'm staring at the standard light blue forum background (I prefer that to the custom B3D skin) and I can't see any reflections unless I specifically scan for them, but earlier I watched some X-Files on DVD, and I could easily see my own face staring back at me in all the darker portions of the video. I can easily understand why some people would find this terribly distracting - I myself was ready for it and didn't think it would be an issue, but I found myself having to turn off some lights in order to be able to finish the episode and not go completely crazy. :p

For everyday work, the glossy screen doesn't seem to be much of an issue - it's extremely bright, and you can just bump the intensity to overpower any reflections. I'm currently using the auto sensing feature, right now it's only at 50% power and still very nice and bright. Colors look fabulous, they REALLY pop on a glossy display like this one, I personally love that. Contrast is great too since blacks go blacker as well on a glossy panel.

There are no noticeable changes in color, brightness or contrast when shifting viewing angle from side to side or up and down within reasonable limits; at more extreme angles things start to shift naturally, but it's a much MUCH less pronounced variation compared to cheaper VA panels, or TN in particular. There's also no visible overdrive ghosting in moving graphics or video, or not any that I've been able to notice anyway. Thus I assume Apple isn't overdriving the panel, which the stated spec of 12ms pixel response time Apple lists would seem to indicate. Even so there isn't really any noticeable smearing in moving graphics either, the video output is overall quite crisp and clean.

That said, there is some slight backlight bleeding visible in the lower right corner on a solid black screen, especially when whacking brightness up to full in a dim room like mine and viewing the screen at an angle, but it's not very prominent compared to my previous LED monitors, and might even be less noticeable compared to the CCFL-lit monitors I used to own before that. I can't really vouch truthfully for that though since it was about two years since I sadly busted my CCFL-powered 24" IPS panel Dell screen, and my memory is kind of dim, but I seem to recall several blobs of light on that screen compared to this one's single.

The camera's video feed is a bit grainy, but maybe it's because my apartment's kind of dim, I dunno. It also doesn't quite manage a smooth framerate, but it's perfectly useable for its intended purpose; video conferencing and the like. Sound is great for a monitor, and not so great compared to a stand-alone audio system of course. What else is to be expected? I find the speakers more than serviceable though, I used them both for watching that X-Files episode and running some Spotify on the side. They could be a bit louder perhaps for when I was watching (listening to, really) the evening TV news via streaming video whilst frying up some Pytt i panna with bacon for dinner, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Performance-wise, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 in my 13" Macbook's Sandy Bridge CPU is quite sufficient for this display's maximum resolution, at least as long as you plug just one of these babies into it. If it had to drive two displays - which you can do in clamshell mode/with the built-in display turned off - I can imagine it'd kind of start crawling on its knees. Scrolling webpages in Safari isn't baby bottom smooth, but it's certainly smooth enough, as is swiping between fullscreen apps. The scrolling jerks a bit, but not hugely so.

Noteworthy detail: there's no power button or power LED on this thing, so no way to force it to turn off short of pulling either the TB cable out of the computer, or the power plug out of the wall socket. I know Apple likes to keep things simple, but this is dumb and short-sighted. In fact there are no buttons at all on this thing. All adjustments for the display are made through software (all 3 possible adjustments; sound volume, and brightness/auto adjust), which would complicate using this thing on a PC since Apple doesn't offer any driver separately for their displays, but only as a part of Bootcamp, which only runs on Macs - if you could use this display on a PC, except you can't.

That's right. Thunderbolt connectors goes into Mini Displayport sockets, but this monitor doesn't work with a non-thunderbolt compatible host system. There are also no additional video inputs, and without buttons there wouldn't be any way to switch between them on a PC anyway. So consider this display a Mac-only product, and forget all about it if you don't own a Mac or never intend to get one in the future either.

The aforementioned solid aluminium stand offers tilt adjustment only, not height or rotation. If you want more than this, it's either stack phonebooks under the stand until it reaches desired height, or buy the VESA attachment accessory from Apple (knowing them it'll cost at least €59 for a simple metal bracket) and hang the whole thing on an adjustable arm. I'm pretty OK with how things are though, so I don't complain. I don't need rotation.

The stand could have been a bit taller though so the screen ends up at roughly the same height as an iMac's, but I don't have any phonebooks; they're obsolete over here and are no longer delivered unless you specifically order one and I can't be bothered. :LOL: This is one aspect where Apple's dogged pursuit of visual simplicity fails a bit, and since it's an ergonomic fail it's a bit more serious than not having a power button or somesuch. Speaking of ergonomics, I haven't found any way to adjust ANY aspect of the monitor's video quality, no contrast, gamma, color temperature or such. Maybe through Apple's Digital ColorMeter this might be possible but I don't understand how that fucker works so no dice...

Incidentally, the Thunderbolt-powered I/O connectors are entirely separate from my Macbook's built-in connectors, so I go from 2 USB2 ports to 5 (not counting the extra in the keyboard hub), and get dual gigabit and firewire interfaces, whatever good that does me... :p It does allow me to hook me up to my time capsule without having to attach an ethernet cable to the notebook itself though, which is advantageous for when I want to pack it up and take it with me; only 2 cables to detach. Keyboard, networking and iPhone charger cord all hook up to the monitor, leaving the Macbook unencumbered by cords, other than I/O and power of course. Another plus is I can now use the computer in clamshell mode and still have access to a camera without needing to plug in an external USB device (which usually don't even have Mac drivers available for them I assume.) My Macbook's built-in mic works surprisingly well even in clamshell mode, but with one integrated right into the display I assume I would get superior sound quality. I haven't had the opportunity to test that yet though since my Skype buddy hasn't logged in yet today.

I can absolutely see a near future where notebooks don't have any cables at all, and instead charge using magnetic resonance and ultra wideband radio transmissions for video and I/O, networking. However, we're not there yet, and thus the Thunderbolt Display works eminently as a docking station without actually being one physically. It makes for a neater setup visually, as well as structurally compared to those rather clunky lumps of plastic of the past people docked their lappys to, although Sony does win bonus points with its proprietary optical Thunderbolt-equipped Vaio with a discrete graphics card built into their dock.

One could have wished for a mobile GPU in the TB Display, or at least USB3, but alas. Apple does not cater to such wishes, Cupertino commands us to be happy with what we get, and all things considered, this thing's pretty darned good. Best display I ever owned for sure. Other than the issues with reflections, lack of adjustments and no additional video inputs there's not much to whine about, realistically anyway unless you're an Apple hater, but in which case, why are you reading all this? :p

Well, it's not cheap, I'll grant you that. But then again, neither are any other 8-bit IPS panel monitor of this size and caliber, and none of those available in the same price range offer the same amount of features this one does. Samsung's semi-matte Super PLS-equipped SA850 is noticeably cheaper, gives roughly the same display quality as an IPS panel and has more adjustment features including height and rotation, dual-DVI and Displayport inputs and a USB3 hub, but has no video, sound or I/O other than USB3, and its chassis is made of (glossy!) plastic. It also uses an external power supply, which I despise because it looks so fucking untidy, but at least you can dock the brick to the back of the monitor, so all is not lost even though it leaves a loose cable loop dangling haphazardly.

It's also not for sale yet, which is crap, because it looks like the perfect companion for my PC! Heh.

Anyway, these are my initial TB Display impressions. Hope it was of interest to anyone...

I'd love to have one of these for my MBP, but I just don't need it at home. Work would be a different story, but I would need to be able to run it from a PC. I've been thinking about getting two of these at work, but if it's Mac-only, I may have to go for a pair of DELL U3011s instead.

So basically there´s no way to go from ye olde cinema hd display to their new offerings with a pc.
And I thought having only 3 buttons (power button and brightness + and -) was quite weird. Now they go with no buttons. They are overdoing their philosophy. I like to not use any screensaver or power savings wrt display and just turn it off with a button when not using it...

So basically there´s no way to go from ye olde cinema hd display to their new offerings with a pc.
And I thought having only 3 buttons (power button and brightness + and -) was quite weird. Now they go with no buttons. They are overdoing their philosophy. I like to not use any screensaver or power savings wrt display and just turn it off with a button when not using it...

Why?

All those options are available on the keyboard for every compatible Mac.

Well, everything except for a dedicated "off" button but you can set the screen to automatically enter standby (2W or less) after a certain amount of inactivity.

if it's Mac-only, I may have to go for a pair of DELL U3011s instead.
Presumably it'd work with a Thunderbolt-enabled PC, and those are coming within a couple months give or take. You'd still need the Apple control panel applet ripped out of Bootcamp if you want to be able to adjust anything on any non-Apple computer running Windows, but I hear that is available on the internet. ...At least for the old Cinema Display, I dunno if the TB Display needs another piece of software or if both are handled through the same applet.

Also note that you can't daisy-chain non-Thunderbolt monitors on a Mac, so you wouldn't be able to hook up two Dell monitors to anything less than a Mac Pro...

Presumably it'd work with a Thunderbolt-enabled PC, and those are coming within a couple months give or take. You'd still need the Apple control panel applet ripped out of Bootcamp if you want to be able to adjust anything on any non-Apple computer running Windows, but I hear that is available on the internet. ...At least for the old Cinema Display, I dunno if the TB Display needs another piece of software or if both are handled through the same applet.

Also note that you can't daisy-chain non-Thunderbolt monitors on a Mac, so you wouldn't be able to hook up two Dell monitors to anything less than a Mac Pro...

Yeah, maybe I can just hook up a third monitor here to hold me over until Thunderbolt hits PC.

Why?

All those options are available on the keyboard for every compatible Mac.

Well, everything except for a dedicated "off" button but you can set the screen to automatically enter standby (2W or less) after a certain amount of inactivity.

First of all my pc is not a compatible Mac :) I have a 30" cinema hd display and I connect with a dvi cable to my self built pc.

You didn´t get my point at all! Automatic standby is something I absolutely want to avoid at all costs! If I want to save power, I want it to be off and consume 0W.

I could swear if my display goes into standby even one more time when I don´t want it to, I´m going to throw it off the window. I want to have it on unless I specifically press a button to turn it off. I want it to be on, stay on when I go to couch to watch tv and keep staying on so that I can just glance at it to see whether or not I have new email.

I do not want it to go to standby when I have been watching a game of NFL for (say) 3 hours from the browser based gamepass service. That would mean I would have to lift my ass from the fatboy clone and walk all the way to my computer to jiggle the mouse... damn those crappy low range wireless mouses too btw...

I do want buttons, moreover, I want tactile buttons. I absolutely hate the touch-it-gently-see-if-it-worked-no-click-no-feedback approach. But yeah... I don´t see where I would go from this ye olde display because the image quality is still superb and I dont even know if there is a >30" class of computer monitors. Probably is in korea or japan but not here... and if I upgrade my display, it would better be bigger. :)

Long story short: I´m a spoiled brat and I´m happy with nothing.

I fell asleep half-way through Grall's review...did he like it?
You're mean! :(

Btw... This thing gets WARM when set to full brightness, especially powering a notebook off of the built-in magsafe connector and playing a game. Hella warm actually. I see why there's a fan in there to stir the air around a bit.

I do want buttons, moreover, I want tactile buttons. I absolutely hate the touch-it-gently-see-if-it-worked-no-click-no-feedback approach.
I've used bunches of gadgets, including monitors, with quite distinct tactile feedback both via touch and sound that still weren't worth a damn, while some touch buttons (like on my PS3 phat) have been excellent and never failed when used.

I don't use the buttons of a monitor often enough for it to be an issue for me personally. Since I'm OK with using standby, it wakes itself up when the PC turns on (and which is in standby as well really), and goes back to sleep when I shut the PC down again. It just minds its own business, and I can easily live with the tiny waste of electricity standby mode entails. A couple watts isn't a biggie.

Finland's building more nuke plants as we speak, so it shouldn't be much of an issue for you either. ;)

as the crappy french reactor years behind schedule, 2x over-budget where they had trouble pouring concrete? I'm supporting nuclear but more and more reluctantly as time passes.
we can wonder which will happen first, TB coming on PC or that reactor going online.

nice review btw. it looks very desireable but reminds me of Apple using a DB15 VGA connector for forced uncompatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I would love to discuss nuclear power. Is there a thread for that or should we make one?

As for PS3 fat touch utton, don´t you hate how you have to keep holding it sometimes and wait for it to beep to acknowledge that it is going to shutdown? I find it uncomfortable. I´d much rather have a moving button that makes a click.

Anyways, I was thinking about the issue of standby mode and I thought it would be okay for the monitor to go standby when I am not in the room and maybe if I am in the room but I am not looking at the monitor for an extended time. But then it would have to immediately turn on again when I turn my eyes towards the monitor.

So it would have to have retina detection that works both in daylight and in darkness... and some sort of local positioning system and awareness for it to be okay.

I liked the PS3 touch button, it sure is odd but I find hold for 5 seconds a button that clicks to be worse :D (which you rarely do on PC those days, to my astonishment and pleasure)

Back