When are the 65nm PS3's and XB360's shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Microsoft has confirmed the addition of HDMI ports to all newly manufactured Xbox 360 premium consoles. "Yes, we are offering an HDMI port for Xbox 360 simply as another choice in Xbox 360 owners’ games and entertainment experience," a Microsoft rep told Shacknews in an e-mailed statement. "Retailers are gradually introducing HDMI-enabled Xbox 360s into the channel to meet demand."

Regarding the possibility of an HDMI output on the $279.99 SKU, the Microsoft rep said, "We have not announced any plans to add HDMI to the Xbox 360 Core System." Microsoft would not reveal whether any other additions had been made to newly available Xbox 360 models, such as the inclusion of a 65nm process. "We are constantly updating the console’s more than 1700 internal components and therefore will not comment on details of specific components or manufacturing processes," he said.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48351

That lends more credence to the notion of the Core going away, at least, in its current form. Given the comments from MS about the Core being able to hit mass market prices first I actually wonder if a "new Core" (or "Core 2", which I'm sure Intel would love!) is actually going to be the pioneer for a smaller, lower cost unit redesign, hitting closer to that $199 price point.

It definitely lends credence to the idea of the core going away - or at least having more stocks to go through before it can be updated w/Falcon. But I can't envision any fundamental redesign (Core 2 scenario) for it that could actually shave costs in an appreciable manner in order to differentiate itself on the hardware level from the others - it is a fixed platform afterall, and it has to play 360 games.

I think either the Core's going away entirely, or the Falcon will simply have its HDMI disabled with appropriate casing to reflect such in the Core shipments.

It's worth noting that the 360 premium is no longer called the "premium," but simply the Xbox 360.

That lends more credence to the notion of the Core going away, at least, in its current form. Given the comments from MS about the Core being able to hit mass market prices first I actually wonder if a "new Core" (or "Core 2", which I'm sure Intel would love!) is actually going to be the pioneer for a smaller, lower cost unit redesign, hitting closer to that $199 price point.

mmm.... perhaps they'll finally make use of slim DVD drives, and maybe introduce a new line of HDDs with a smaller enclosure to go along with this redesign?

The premium has always been called Xbox 360 by MS. The "premium" tag was added by gamers/consumers/retail to avoid confusion.

Good call; I read that 'change' in some online publication recently and for some reason didn't think to doubt it. But really I should have caught that from the beginning.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens in terms of the Core SKU.

...and J Saint, who would have thought you'd have your confirmation for HDMI so soon? Posts #76 and #77 were just a couple of days ago. Now the only thing that remains, is the matter of audio capability and you're all set.

Indeed. I wasn't expecting any solid info for another month at the earliest. As far as the audio capabilities go I think a software update would be needed if such capabilities are in fact possible after the redesign. The main benefit would probably be HD DVD passing decoded DD+ and TrueHD to a receiver with HDMI. Not sure its worth it to MS with the Toshibas coming down in price.

Best news from the Ms camp in a long time. It means the channels are clearing out of the old stock. The bad news is if the stock was this low now the price cut was not intended to clear them out so bye bye second price cut later this year.

A Premium is $400 in Canada,with HDMI it would be a great deal now. They lowered the Premium and Core unit's by $100,but the Elite by only $50.
Core $300CDN
Premium $$400
Elite $500

IMO now the Premium with HDMI would be the best deal in Canada ,if you're looking for a console for games mostly. The Elite is interesting,but with us not being able to legally access the downloadable movies and TV shows,I see no point for the bigger HDD of the Elite at this point.

Come on baby!!!! give me confirm on the 65nm cpu/gpu and quieter DVD drive and my premium goes bye bye tomorrow!

I don't think that is possible I believe you need HDMI 1.3 to pass TrueHD and DTS HS audio. Xbox 360 HDMI is 1.2.

Passing those streams is more theory than reality at this point, and even having an HDMI 1.3 designation on your equipment doesn't guaranty that it would work. Besides, there are no receivers capable of decoding such streams and you lose all access to secondary audio streams for PiP, menu's, etc. Decoding to LPCM in the player is currently the only way to get lossless audio and it's already been stated that the 360 doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to support more than 2 channels of uncompressed audio to the hdmi chips. The 360 would need redesigned southbridge interfaces to the a/v output chips in order to support lossless audio, not HDMI 1.3.

Besides, there are no receivers capable of decoding such streams

Have you actually checked out the new Onkyo's that can and do take the audio from hdmi(1.3version). Specs for the "cheaper" onkyo 605 say following advanced formats are supported: DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus Decoding. Then there are the more expensive and feature rich onkyo 805 and 875 also with proper hdmi 1.3 audio support. I have been pondering about buying one of these babies to accompany ps3. But still waiting to see what other manufacturers come up with. Would be a nice match for hdmi enabled xbox360 too if the xbox360 is able to output audio via hdmi properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
HDMI1.jpg

They are now here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back