When are the 65nm PS3's and XB360's shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but it still means the power brick can still be used for a Ghostbusters costume. :p :(

I agree completely. I don't understand why Microsoft went that route. I can only guess they initially thought the Premium needed more distinguishing features (which is the farthest from the truth).

It seems rather obvious. They wanted to move core's to pad their profit margin's. Bundling a wired controller just cements the core's position as the console that almost no-one would want.

I expect them to change that once they are profitable as a division and decide to position the core as a major sales driver.

It seems rather obvious. They wanted to move core's to pad their profit margin's. Bundling a wired controller just cements the core's position as the console that almost no-one would want.

:???: How does offering an item for sale that doesn't sell pad their profit margins? Are you saying they never intended to sell the core at all, they just needed to cement the idea of an HDD-less system for the future?

Back on topic

It would seem downsizing that brick would probably save Microsoft some money in shipping costs.

That's what I make of the situation. In sum:

1) Current Permium HDMI consoles have the "elite" motherboard and internals...

Most likely: http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EElyZEZFFAYCVzSDpq.php

It's still the Zephyr motherboard.

hdmi-sticker.jpg

question about motherboard revision, will MS eventually put gigabit ethernet or stick with 100/10mbps ones?

I'd guess only if the price isn't higher.

Well, it's not like one can transfer files to the 360's hard drive, so why would anyone need Gigabit? 100Mbit should be more than adequate for streaming High Definition content.

What about high speed (network) storage ?

EDIT:
I know HANA (another consortium similar to DLNA, but smaller) is advocating a better network to support multiple streams in a "digital home" concept. They chose Firewire as a starting point for their work. The details are vague to me now since I stopped tracking 2-3 years ago.

You can save your files to these drives (e.g., downloading from eStore) if the firmware supports it (via iSCSI ?). The same storage server can be shared by other devices too. This is the model I am most interested in in general.

Depending on the topology and use case, the same network may also be shared by other activities if digital media truly takes off (e.g., someone else might be streaming the same thing locally, perhaps from/to the box, in some DLNA scenarios).

There are also other use cases not applicable here (Network multiple units together for other specialized purposes).

Are you saying you can download things off of Xbox Live and store it on the network drive? If not, then there is no need for Gigabit. Streaming is all you will be doing, and unless you have 1080p60 content, 100Mbps is not going to be limiting.

Depending on the topology and use case, the same network may also be shared by other activities if digital media truly takes off (e.g., someone else might be streaming the same thing locally, perhaps from/to the box, in some DLNA scenarios).

Kind of a tough thing to sell to MS to get them to include Gigabit. How many people do this or even have this setup? And if someone is streaming content to the 360, why would someone else be streaming the same file elsewhere? It seems just a matter of convenience for the few 'hardcore' setups than anything useful for the majority.

How popular is XBMC ? I thought it has SMB capability (to read/write/import/export files). If the box is only used for viewing 1 HD stream, then you're correct... 100Mb is sufficient.

The digital media world is changing. 4 port Gigabit router + 802.11n is being sold as home router today (So it's nice to have one to take advantage of the bandwidth for local file exchange). It seems that the vendors are starting to push HD to get everyone to upgrade (e.g., AVCHD DV camera, consumer authoring software, HD PVR, ...). But all these are off topic, so I'll just do my own tracking.

The sole reason for ps3 gbit port is for distributed computing across a lan.

I don't know about that. Someone will try Warhawk client/server on gigabit LAN party some day... like people have Halo LAN party, but it's off topic.

So it looks like the HDMI premiums are not (or at the very least not necessarily) 65nm.

I think it wont be until we see "Falcon" as part of the serial #, maybe, instead of Zephyr.

But I am confused if they'll use the "Falcon" designation for units where only the CPU is 65nm (which presumably would happen first).

Edit: Well supposedly the "source" MRCUR says only lot 0728 have the 65nm, and the gaffers console was a 0727.

Last edited by a moderator:
That MRCUR guy, supposedly an ms inside source on xbox.com, now claims 65nm chips in 360 suffered some sort of "delay" recently, though details are non-existent.

Or he could just be covering his backside because it appears his original claims of Falcon 360's hitting the streets in July proved wrong. Who knows.

Will 65nm never come??!!

Seems processes get dicier and dicier as they get lower, and it takes forever to transition these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back