What kind of car(s) do you guys drive?

Well if it's any consolation, my first car was an old Mercedes diesel, so that pretty much nullifies any cool point I may have accumulated...

2001%20C240%20Black%20front%20right%20top%20800.jpg

Mize said:
And, thanks to Chrysler, Daimler is actually net profitable :)
(no thanks to Smart)

Smart is a pleague and should be dismantled/sold ASAP. But my old Big Boss just didn't get it. Thankfully he's gone now, he almost ruined our company.

Used to drive a BMW 328. For everyday use, it's a small Citroen. On sunny days, a Lotus Exige.

dukmahsik said:
i dont think hybrids save you money at all

Agreed. Get a diesel. There are diesels in Europe now that go over 78 mpg. Imagine that. Hybrids are for people who think they are trying to save the environment and actually it doesnt matter if you consider mpg is the benchmark. I thought it was all about emissions and not mpg.

suryad said:
Agreed. Get a diesel. There are diesels in Europe now that go over 78 mpg. Imagine that. Hybrids are for people who think they are trying to save the environment and actually it doesnt matter if you consider mpg is the benchmark. I thought it was all about emissions and not mpg.
Well, both are important. One relates to the impact on the atmosphere, the other to the use of limited oil. But regardless, wouldn't it be nice to have a car that was both?

Here in the US it's a bit hard to sell diesel cars just because not that many gas stations sell diesel fuel.

Absolutely. Chalnoth I wholeheartedly agree.

On a related note while I am avid advocate of being aware of all the indiscretions we have as a species inflicted on our planet, I am also aware that while cars are a significant contributor. But I would venture to guess and say that the biggest culprits are the Hummer, Porsche Cayenne, GMC/Ford/Dodge truck/SUV owners. How many times in a day have you seen a lady driving in her oversized souped up suspension with monster wheels and big bling rims driving along in her black caddi escalade with no one but her in the vehicle?

Also I read/heard somewhere that a cow emits 500 liters of methane a day and supposedly methane is 23 times more destructive than CO or CO2 in terms of damaging the ozone. So get rid of all the cows then...

Another group says that this is a cycle because this is how nature has operated over millenia.

Another group says teh sun has been shining brighter than it has before and giving off more energy thus causing the polar ice caps to melt.

Honestly I dont know who to believe.

suryad said:
Also I read/heard somewhere that a cow emits 500 liters of methane a day and supposedly methane is 23 times more destructive than CO or CO2 in terms of damaging the ozone. So get rid of all the cows then...
I'd be highly surprised if it were that much per day for just one cow. But CO and CO2's primary effects aren't to damage the ozone, but rather as greenhouse gases.

Chalnoth said:
I'd be highly surprised if it were that much per day for just one cow. But CO and CO2's primary effects aren't to damage the ozone, but rather as greenhouse gases.

You are correct...that is what I meant. Greenhouse gas. Apologies.

Chalnoth said:
Well, both are important. One relates to the impact on the atmosphere, the other to the use of limited oil. But regardless, wouldn't it be nice to have a car that was both?

But in practice nowadays, high MPG == low emissions.

WhiningKhan said:
But in practice nowadays, high MPG == low emissions.
Well, of course. But I do somewhat wonder at the emission/gal differences between Diesel and Gasoline.

Chalnoth said:
Well, of course. But I do somewhat wonder at the emission/gal differences between Diesel and Gasoline.

Only particulate and NOx emissions are worse on diesel. In practice, NOx difference is not significant, and current particle traps all but eliminate the other problem. Also, the quality of diesel fuel can be improved.

Back