What kind of driver are you?

Mize why do you think that? Lots of vehicles have side turn signals in the mirrors or on the front quarter panel.

Lots != all
There are a number of US models that omit the front quarter panel turn signal which is present in their EU counterpart. But, now that I look into it, it appears many of the EU versions are dropping this signal as well.
Shame as I think it's an important one.

Also, it doesn't sound like Mintmaster was describing hard acceleration. At least 100hp isn't hard acceleration for either of my cars.
Exactly, and I was just giving an example. It depends on the engine. Still, near-open throttle in a gear that keeps revs low gives you the most kinetic energy per gram of fuel.

Grall, take a look here for example:
http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Brake_Specific_Fuel_Consumption_(BSFC)_Maps

On a 2.0L Ford Zetec, ~85% throttle from 1500-3000 RPM is the most efficient.

A 2009 TDI is 15% more efficient at 80% throttle and 3000 RPM (100HP) than it is at 30% throttle and 2000RPM (30HP). For a real gearbox I can't just pick two operating points during acceleration, but if we imagine a CVT being used to keep RPM constant, the first operating point gets a 1400kg car to 40mph in maybe 4 seconds after losses (much faster than most people accelerate), while the second does it in over 10 seconds. Now, the difference will go down when you account for 5 seconds of idling to cover the same distance for the high acceleration case, and the gains will probably be wiped out accounting for other things in real life, but that's still parity, so why not?

What kills MPG is not quick acceleration, but rather unnecessary acceleration and speed. If you can coast to a stop, then you're using your kinetic energy as well as you can. If you hold the pedal down to maintain speed and then brake, or accelerate up to the speed limit when another stop sign is coming, you're wasting energy.

Lots != all
There are a number of US models that omit the front quarter panel turn signal which is present in their EU counterpart. But, now that I look into it, it appears many of the EU versions are dropping this signal as well.
Shame as I think it's an important one.
Many drivers where I live don't agree with you as they either don't use the turn signal or wait to flip it on until is obvious they are turning. ;) Seriously, does it make sense to slow way down, pull into a turn lane, and then signal. I see this frequently.

Many drivers where I live don't agree with you as they either don't use the turn signal or wait to flip it on until is obvious they are turning. ;) Seriously, does it make sense to slow way down, pull into a turn lane, and then signal. I see this frequently.

Heh ya. Some people seem to think the turn signal is to indicate that they are turning, not to indicate their intention to turn.

You guys are lucky. In New Mexico turn signals are an option on cars because nobody uses them ;) Well, they should be. Haven't lived in Albuquerque for over 11 years, but we visit every year and it never changes.

In the UK these people are commonly known as BMW drivers.

In the UK these people are commonly known as BMW drivers.
Hey, I resent that a bit! I'm a BMW driver who is insane with his use of turn signals, I never ever fail to use them.

I figure I'm enough of a rolling hazard, the least I can do is give as much warning as possible. People who don't use their turn signals REALLY cheese me off. :devilish:

That being said, I've had a suburban again this week and noticed a total change in my driving style. I'm a grandpa now, it's just the style of driving that suits the vehicle.

I never noticed how much the vehicle affects my driving style/attitude until this week.

I clicked the thread title fully expecting some kind of funny speculation about whether or not I'm more like Catalyst or Forceware. Then I started reading the opening post and went like oooh I see, cars... right... well.

I´m not that exciting of a driver. I drive a family car and I drive it carefully. People often overtake me when I abide by the speed limitations. I was more reckless only 5 years ago though.

As for the story in the opening post... be very careful. I once had a bad experience where a friend of mine borrowed my moped for a while, I was trying to stop him and he did the playful I´m gonna drive over you thing accelerating towards me. then he tried to avoid me and I tried to dodge to same direction. Then he tried to avoid me to the opposite direction and I again dodged to the same direction. I would grab the thing by the handle bars as it collides me with almost full speed of what 40 km/h and I'm pushed backwards, land on my back and head... get up scared, angry but relatively unhurt. Didn´t like that friend of mine very much the rest of that day though and he never drove the thing again.

What I´m saying is, don´t even kid about driving over people. They might do unexpected, stupid things like dodge in the wrong direction, totally freeze in place, run into some other car... There may be circumstances where you can´t even stop the car like if there is an unlikely failure with the vehicle or if the road is slippery. It´s when many things go wrong at the same time that accidents occur.

Even when you think you´re under control of your vehicle, you´re not under control of that other person.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm nice and friendly to people I can see (pedestrians and bikers), but irritated by cars (ie: people I don't see) who don't anticipate the cars and people around them.

Animosity shortens fuses.

I do get irritated by walkers and bikers who think cars will stop anyway, but then again, those car drivers are equally anonymous to them, and most cars don't clear an intersection or stop for a zebra-crossing, either, so I can understand their POV.

And when on foot or bike, I behave like them as well. Especially on a bike, you feel very agile and have a high vantage point, so it's a question of scale and immersion as well.

I do, even on the bike, because it irritates me when others don't.

To be frank with you I think it is a poor attitude to debase your personal standards because of the failings of others without good reason. Just because they suck doesn't mean you have to. ;)

To be frank with you I think it is a poor attitude to debase your personal standards because of the failings of others without good reason. Just because they suck doesn't mean you have to. ;)

I have the feeling he misread your previous post, double negative and all...

I am usually a pretty laid back driver. But when somebody pisses me off, I like to mess with their heads.

One time, I was leaving on a trip over the mountains in California, and a guy in front of me cut this old driver off really close. That kind of reckless driving pisses me off. And, since this particular highway has precious little in terms of turnoffs for a long time, I decided to have a little bit of fun.

I followed him for about the next 45 minutes or so. Not hard, since we were going the same way. But when he would speed up, I would speed up. When he would slow down, I would slow down. He would pass somebody, I would pass somebody. I never followed closely, just stayed behind him for nearly an hour. At one point, he stuck his head out his window to look back at me.

Yeah, that was a bit dangerous. But boy was it fun.

Eventually he turned off the road and I kept on going.

Back