What is the native resolution on your gaming LCD?

Native resolution?

• 1024x768

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 1366x768

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 1280x1024

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • 1440x900

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • 1680x1050

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • 1600x1200

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • 1920x1080

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 1920x1200

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 2560x1600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CRT all the way !

Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But you can use any resolution below, why the "locked-in" comment? Or did you mean the bluriness which occurs with non-native res? It's not as bad with a TV as it is with a monitor.

Yep, that's what I meant. I have very little personal experience with it myself (tried it once in TitanQuest and it looked horrible) - but I haven't seen many reports (if any) of a non-native resolution looking "good".

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea, maybe some better upscaling algorithms? Dedicated chip? Whatever it is, it definitely looks better with low-res than a PC LCD monitor of comparable size.

That would more than likely be based around model and not because one is a TV or not. Were they of comparable cost and quality other wise?

I have a 1600x1200 LCD, but I often play games at a lower res. For games it doesn't look any worse scaled IMHO.

That would more than likely be based around model and not because one is a TV or not. Were they of comparable cost and quality other wise?

Nope, the monitor costs like 5x more :LOL:

AFAIK monitors don't have dedicated logic/filters for up/downscaling, at least not the sort you get in a TV. The TV looks like it gets AA-ed a bit or some other filter with similar outcome. It's got that "DCDi Faroudja" chip I think and this definitely does some additional processing.

It does make sense for TVs to have extra effort put towards scaling (and other processing) since different than native resolution input is expected. In PC environment the native resolution is used (and advised to be used) almost all of the time thus scaling may be neglected.

What about the Dell 24 inchers? I thought they had some kind of processing chip (I vaguely remember the name Faroudja being used). There were some problems with it though and Dell offered to replace the LCDs with newer revisions where some processing could be turned off. There was some issue with banding.

Games look good on NEC 20WGX2 with non-native res to my eyes. I don't feel "locked-in", although I would upgrade to be able to use 1680x1050 in a favourite game.

Back