What food do you like to cook?

sometimes we do filet mignon or entrecot on a very hot grill, a big red and juicy piece, just grill and flip it over repeatedly, leave the core raw fleshy red and eat it...

i'm getting hungry right now.

Ugh, I cook the hell out of meat. Medium well is as close to rare as I do.

I don't like any blood in the meat, all grey inside...helps kill bacteria.

digitalwanderer said:
Ugh, I cook the hell out of meat. Medium well is as close to rare as I do.

I don't like any blood in the meat, all grey inside...helps kill bacteria.

You should taste a nice brazilian red meat.... You won't regret it... ;)

I love cooking! I am all over the place, chinese, mexician, korean, italian, turkish, persian, creolean, japanese. Knifes, fire, food, YAY :D

I stopped cooking a while ago, feels too much like work. If I still do, it'll be something italian or just some meat + veggies.

But with a great Thai, Italian and Greek restaurants within a few 100 m from my place, why should I cook? ;)

I love to cook! :) I am having abit of trouble locating ingredients these days (especially spices!) but... tonight's menu is from the old reliable Moosewood Cookbook:

Eggplant Curry
1.5 tsp mustard seeds (can't find -- using a little vinegar and white pepper)
1 tsp sesame seeds
1.5 cups chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric (can't find -- using pinch of curry powder for color)
cayenne pepper to taste
6 cups 1-inch cubed eggplant (chinese eggplant is AWESOME)
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, minced
2 tbsp oil or butter
1.5 cups sweet green peas, steamed until bright green

1. heat oil in a lg, heavy skillet (using wok..). add seeds. (use low flame here people!)

2. when seeds start to pop, add onion, salt, turmeric, cayenne. cook, stirring until onion is translucent.

3. add egplant. cook, stirring regularly, about 15 mins (until eggplant is soft, but pieces still separate and whole). add'l oil or a little water might be needed if mmixture is too dry.

4. add half the fresh coriander and cook 2-3 minutes

5. serve immediately, topped with remaining coriander and adorned with peas.

yumyum! :9~ at pky we have a recipes forum... highly recommended for keeping your geekership (errr, gee readership) healthy, Dave! ^_~

Swedish specialty, "Pyttipanna" ("this and that in a pan":

Dice potatoes (raw, or boiled leftovers: raw is better) and start frying in a pan.

Dice any kind of (leftover) meat; whole beef or pork, sausage, salami, smoked ham, whathaveyou. Variety is key here; the dish is improved if you have a couple different tastes and textures. Some nice bacon also does wonders for the flavor. Add to the pan.

Chop onion; add to the pan.

Season with salt and pepper.

Fry one egg per person sunny side up.

When food is ready, make a pile of "pytt" in the center of each plate and carefully place the egg on top so it doesn't break. Traditionally served with some pickled sliced beetroot on the side.

Voilá! :D

Lots of Thai food

favorites are

Laap Gai (Chicken with Lime Juice)
Ingredients

2 chicken breasts
4 tsp lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1-1/2 tbsp rice powder
1/2 tsp MSG (optional)
1 red onion
2 tbsp ground red pepper (or more depending how spicy you like it)
2-1/2 tbsp fish sauce
2 green onions
1 stalk lemon grass
3 oz fresh mint leaves

Thinly slice red onion and lemon grass. Chop green onions into small pieces.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breasts in baking pan and place in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Change heat to broil and leave 5 more minutes, or until the meat is cooked. Remove breasts from oven and let cool. With a sharp knife, remove bones from chicken. Chop meat with cleaver to a coarse consistency. Place in a deep bowl. Add all other ingredients one at a time while stirring. Reserve lime juice as the final ingredient to be added. Place on serving plate bed of lettuce. Serves 2.

With this recipe you can always increase. I also don't use MSG as I'm highly allergic
One other note.. the recipe calls to chop the chicken coaresly. I prefer to slice it thinly

Pad Thai
Ingredients:
1 pack dried rice stick noodles or "sen lek"
1/2 cup dried shrimp
1/2 cup baked tofu cut into small strips
1/2 cup ground peanut
1 cup fresh beansprouts
1/2 cup chives cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound chicken meat cut into small bite-sized pieces
6 eggs
2 teaspoons pepper powder
1/2 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons smashed garlic
2 tablespoons smashed onion
1/2 cup of water

Preparation:
1. Soak the rice stick noodles in tepid water for roughly 15 minutes. Then cut the noodles into 4-inch pieces. Strain the noodles, then set them aside.
2. Using a large skillet (preferably a wok) heat the vegetable oil and add in the garlic, onion and tofu.
3. After stirring for 2 minutes, add in the dry shrimp, and stir. Then, one at a time add in the peanuts, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, pepper and chicken, stirring the mixture the entire time.
4. Add the eggs and continue to stir the mixture. Then add in 1/2 cup of water.
5. Add the noodles, and be sure to stir! The noodles tend to burn if not continuously stirred.
6. Check to see if the taste of the dish is suitable to you, if not, then add in either fish sauce (salty), sugar (sweet), or soy sauce (salty). Here is where a matter of preference comes into play.
7. The final step is to add in the bean sprouts and chives, just before turning off the burner.

Pad Thai is normally garnished with a heaping portion of uncooked beansprouts on the side as well as a sprig of cilantro on top.

Yam Talay
Ingredients:
1/2 pound of shrimp
4 imitation crab meat sticks, sliced into 1/4" chunks
2 oz. squid, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons of lime juice
1 tablespoon dry red chili, ground
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon palm sugar (or substitute regular sugar)
1 teaspoon shrimp paste (Ka-pi)
1 teaspoon very finely sliced jalapenos
1 shallot, sliced thin
2 lime leaves, sliced thin
2 tablespoons onion, chopped

Directions:
Add the fish sauce, lime juice, red chili, palm sugar, and shrimp paste into a small saucepan, bring to a simmer. Add in the seafood and jalapenos. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the seafood is cooked through. Remove from the heat, and add in the lime leaves, shallots, and onions.
Serve at room temperature.

Panang Curry
Ingredients:
2 pounds meat (beef, chicken or pork) I use salmon though and add slices of bamboo shots
1 can coconut milk
8 oz panang curry paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons kafir lime leaves (cut into shreds)
1/2 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:
1. Cut your meat into bite sized cubes. Using a medium to large skillet, pan fry the meat until it is almost done, then remove it and set it aside.
2. Using medium heat, add in four tablespoons of coconut milk, and let it come to a boil.
3. Add in 2-3 tablespoons of curry paste.
4. Put the meat back in, and stir until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
5. Add in half of the remainder of coconut milk. Keep stirring.
6. Add the fish sauce and the sugar.
7. Add in the rest of the coconut milk.
8. When the coconut milk thickens, add in the basil leaves and lime leaves.
9. Give it a taste. You may need to add in more fish sauce or sugar depending on your preference.

(don't be afraid with the sugar, because thai dishes, especially curries become much more round in flavor with some added sugar)

Broiled barbecue porkchops, stuffed baked potatoes, and brocolli w/cheese sauce last night.

Tonight will be White Castles, my wife works late and it's our Monday tradition. 8)

My wife has just cooked a delicious meal, consisting of pieces of chicken, tomatoes, sliced onions, some garlic, carrots, some spices and aipim/cassava (Manihot palmata). And white rice. I like rice.

Its 8pm, and I am about to get off work (bah).
I'm guessing that I'll not feel like cooking when I get home.
So that leaves either going out to eat, or a can of soup.
Damn you people with your delicious hunger-making food discussions.

Salmon made in owen with roasted vegetables.
I out some salt and pepper on the salmon, some chopped dill, a couple of laurel leaves, fenchol seeds and half a desi sourcream on top.
On the side I put potatoes, carrots, fenchol, onions, parsnip... season with olive oil, salt and perpper and some honey on the carrots.

Or fried baltic herring filets in butter with mashed potatoes. mmmm :)

Crisidelm said:
What's "fenchol"?

Called "Foeniculum vulgare".

fenchel.jpg

Looks like Fennel to me. The root goes very well with Lamb or is good when finely sliced in salads (nice and crunchy with a subtle flavour).

Fennel seeds go well with fish - they have an 'aniseedy' flavour as does the bulb/leaves.

If you have fresh Fennel, you can use the 'frondy' leaves in much the same way as Dill.

Back