What food do you like to cook?

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I'll start, typical Dutch dish (done as I like it best).

Soup:

Put three onions and three pounds of peeled tomatoes (in portions) into the blender. Add a pound of water. Cook for half an hour. Add 100 grams of celery (blended) and a pound of cut up vegetables (paprika, carrot, leek, onion and courgette), half a pound of small meat balls if you like that, and "soup powder" (???) to your taste (two spoons or such). Cook for half an hour more. Add cream if you like that when serving.

Meal:

Roll a full dish worth of chicory (?) within thin slices of smoked ham, fill the rest of the dish with mashed potatoes made with milk, sprinkle it with pepper and nutmeg (?), and a nice layer of cheese. Alternatively, use a nice helping of bechamel sauce instead of the cheese.
Put it into the oven on 225C until it gets light brown (about 40 minutes).

Dessert:

Flat cheese (?), pudding or ice cream with banana, whipped sweet cream and molten chocolate or fruit.

Alternative dish (my favorite):

Take a pound of bacon, cut into small pieces and bake them slowly on a small fire until they're completely brown. (You can do this in a microwave oven as well.)
Boil three eggs for 6 minutes, let them cool and mash them or cut them up.
Cut up two or three paprikas, half a pound of champignons, an onion (or two) and a courgette, and bake them for a bit in olive oil, until they don't smell sharp anymore. Add a cup of red wine, some pepper, oregano and dragon.
Make two pounds of mashed potatoes with milk.
Cut a lettuce with thick leaves (?) into bits. Mix it all together (including the juices) in a large bowl, and add a bit of mustard and some mayonaise. Serve cool or lukewarm.

Enjoy!

:D

I do instant food more than half the time, but I like to cook things I really like about twice a week. And I make about 3-5 portions at a time and freeze what isn't eaten right away for instant food.

Let's see.

Spaghetti
Mac and Cheese.
Crab Imperial
Shrimp Kebobs
Lobster Bisk
Honey Grilled Chicken

The list goes on and on.

My favourite is frying with very little oil some garlic, onions and meat, adding some spices.

Also like very much a nice piece of red and spiced meat in the oven, with potatoes, carrots and onions.

Meat here in Brazil is very delicious, cows eat grass/green stuff and not ration (not sure if that's the correct name for it)..

I usually make casseroles or skillet dishes. My favorite would probably have to be my grandma's lasagna. If anyone wants the recipe, send me lots of money and hope I put you in my will ;)

Crusher said:
I usually make casseroles or skillet dishes. My favorite would probably have to be my grandma's lasagna. If anyone wants the recipe, send me lots of money and hope I put you in my will ;)

I'll raise you a very nice moussaka, or a very nice and unique banana-sauerkraut dish.

mito said:
My favourite is frying with very little oil some garlic, onions and meat, adding some spices.

Also like very much a nice piece of red and spiced meat in the oven, with potatoes, carrots and onions.

Meat here in Brazil is very delicious, cows eat grass/green stuff and not ration (not sure if that's the correct name for it)..

With frying, do you mean a frying pan only half full of fat, or baking it in a low pan with a drip of oil?

I'm a bit new to culinary English. :oops:

mito said:
Kesler said:
Hot pockets.

What is that?

A nasty food product sold here in the states (maybe other places also?). It is a breaded (if you can even call it bread...) with "stuff" inside that you can microwave. They come in various flavors -- there are pizza ones, breakfast ones, and vegetable ones. The pizza ones aren't bad, actually.

Back on topic:

My favorite food to cook?

Simple: Steak with mashed potatos with some lemonade to drink (put some pepper jack cheese in the mashed potatos and they are awesome).

Ugh, I'm cooking lemon/pepper skinless chicken breasts right now with some arborio rice w/sun dried tomatoes.

25-30 minutes of work cooking, it'll be another 15-20 minutes worth of clean-up; and all for about 10 minutes worth of eating.

Ramen noodles prep time is 3 minutes for me, and I eat it out of the same pan I cook it in so it takes less than a minute for clean up....I wish my wife wasn't so darned picky about variety and things tasting good. :rolleyes:

DiGuru said:
mito said:

With frying, do you mean a frying pan only half full of fat, or baking it in a low pan with a drip of oil?

I'm a bit new to culinary English. :oops:

drip of oil...... onions and meat do release water and that's enough for frying, you should constantly stir them. always adding spice according to the amount.

Bobbler said:
Steak with mashed potatos with some lemonade to drink (put some pepper jack cheese in the mashed potatos and they are awesome).
Mmmmm, that pepper jack cheese in the mashed potatos trick sound yummilicious...I'm gonna have to give it a try.

I never mind cooking steaks. Lately I've been picking up pre-packaged carne asade that they sell locally that are sweet! They come in individual 6oz packages all pre-seasoned, just toss 'em in a hot pan with a little oil in it and they fry up as good as any I've ever ate in Mexico. A side of spanish rice and some refried beans and you got a tasty meal.

I also enjoy the following:

a big heated pan, a drip of oil and throwing many sliced vegetables... cabbage, carrots, brocoli and whatever vegetable...

that's delicious with meat.

mito said:
I also enjoy the following:

a big heated pan, a drip of oil and throwing many sliced vegetables... cabbage, carrots, brocoli and whatever vegetable...

that's delicious with meat.

Yea, I like that as well, although I'm not very much into slabs of meat. But something like you describe is my main dish half the time.

Back