What console should bkilian buy? *spawn

I'm going to invent my own console and send it to bkillian. I can't guarantee any games will follow, or that it will actually work, or be more than an empty box with buttons taped to the exterior.

I heard there's a pastebin leak about my competing console box. It's got two cardboard boxes taped together for twice the power and a TI-81 calculator for additional FLOPS.
There's a smaller cardboard box inside for backwards compatibility.

Other specs:

After a trip to the zoo, I can confirm that the box now has the jaguar architecture inside.
It also has a large gauge wire that needs to be tied to something, for mandatory always-on-line.
The console is so awesome, it doesn't need the line to function. Instead, you need to keep it linked to something so the jaguar doesn't do too much.

I heard there's a pastebin leak about my competing console box. It's got two cardboard boxes taped together for twice the power and a TI-81 calculator for additional FLOPS.
There's a smaller cardboard box inside for backwards compatibility.

Other specs:

After a trip to the zoo, I can confirm that the box now has the jaguar architecture inside.
It also has a large gauge wire that needs to be tied to something, for mandatory always-on-line.
The console is so awesome, it doesn't need the line to function. Instead, you need to keep it linked to something so the jaguar doesn't do too much.

Regardless of how many boxes your console has, mine will use its single box more efficiently. Also, if you stand and jump up and down in front of my console, it may respond spectacularly, or more likely just sit there doing nothing.

Rumor has it my console may respond if you waggle meat in front of it. I can guarantee it will do nothing if the camera accessory is not installed.

Unverified leaked statements on a chinese forum run through Google Translate from German to Finnish and then through Bing Translate indicate that my console "is not the do what rainbow negative water closet".

An MS Paint diagram further details how the jaguar unit will preemtively gather content for you by predicting what you'll want next, assuming what you want next is a tropical rodent, a caiman, an orphan, or bodily injury.

if you like to be part of an elite, join us, take an Amiga CD32

amigacd32.jpg

if you like to be part of an elite, join us, take an Amiga CD32

amigacd32.jpg

I'm surprised you like the Amiga CD32, Xenio - it didn't have dual APUs as far as I know.... ;)

I'm thinking you guys in the US should get bkilian to buy Xbox 720s for you and get his MS Alumni discount :smile:

Employee orders will probably be fulfilled before retail too.

Hopefully the new Xbox has a universal power adaptor so I can get my friend who works for MS at Redmond to buy one and ship it to me.
But then games will be region locked, bah!

I'm surprised you like the Amiga CD32, Xenio - it didn't have dual APUs as far as I know.... ;)

I'm thinking you guys in the US should get bkilian to buy Xbox 720s for you and get his MS Alumni discount :smile:

Employee orders will probably be fulfilled before retail too.

Hopefully the new Xbox has a universal power adaptor so I can get my friend who works for MS at Redmond to buy one and ship it to me.
But then games will be region locked, bah!

You know, cd32 has less tf than ps4 and we all are waiting for a specs change. Anyway if the xbox next will be region locked, the us blueray Version should have all languages inside

Not sure what you're asking. The original "Book of Xenon" defined the vision for the xbox 360, and we've only recently got some of the features that were originally envisioned for the product. It wasn't a case of broadening the appeal over time, it was a case of delivering on an initial vision over time.

The 360 cut a huge amount of features that were originally going to be shipped at launch, in order to make their launch date. So to an outsider, it appears that MS launched a console aimed at the core and then slowly changed their focus to the casuals and media stuff, when in reality, the 360 we have now is what MS originally wanted to launch.

There is a similar vision document for a future product which shall remain nameless until the 21st, and it is equally ambitious in it's goals, and there's no way the new box will be able to meet all of the goals in that doc at launch (and it's not a document that has ever leaked). I'll enjoy seeing what got cut and how they're going to position themselves at launch. They have the unenviable problem that they can't easily launch something which cannot match the 360 feature for feature at launch, but the 360 has taken 9 years of development to get to that point, and they have had less than two years here to match, and exceed it.

But to answer your question, or what I think your question is, I don't think "updated research" will significantly change the vision that they have for this product, although it might change some of the details, like what to include at launch, and how they're going to position themselves in the competitive landscape.

To sum up what you said, the mistake people make is think Microsoft is moving towards a "broader market" when it's almost certainly been their entire goal since the first Xbox. Gaming was used as a Trojan horse since gamers adopt boxes rapidly and are willing to spend more money than the average user.

Not sure what you're asking. The original "Book of Xenon" defined the vision for the xbox 360, and we've only recently got some of the features that were originally envisioned for the product. It wasn't a case of broadening the appeal over time, it was a case of delivering on an initial vision over time.

The 360 cut a huge amount of features that were originally going to be shipped at launch, in order to make their launch date. So to an outsider, it appears that MS launched a console aimed at the core and then slowly changed their focus to the casuals and media stuff, when in reality, the 360 we have now is what MS originally wanted to launch.

There is a similar vision document for a future product which shall remain nameless until the 21st, and it is equally ambitious in it's goals, and there's no way the new box will be able to meet all of the goals in that doc at launch (and it's not a document that has ever leaked). I'll enjoy seeing what got cut and how they're going to position themselves at launch. They have the unenviable problem that they can't easily launch something which cannot match the 360 feature for feature at launch, but the 360 has taken 9 years of development to get to that point, and they have had less than two years here to match, and exceed it.

But to answer your question, or what I think your question is, I don't think "updated research" will significantly change the vision that they have for this product, although it might change some of the details, like what to include at launch, and how they're going to position themselves in the competitive landscape.

Thanks Bkillian for your thorough answer which touches on what I was looking for.

Judging from what you wrote, it seems to be more of the former which I originally wrote about (ie the typical large corporate structure of a project which is define the scope, and execute within scope).

What I was looking to see was if MS has had a multi-year project which during the development of that project, they kept doing market research on a somewhat regular basis to ensure that by the time the product was ready for market, that the market would be receptive to it.

I think this is vitally important these days with how rapidly information spreads and how quickly market dynamics change.

Are you aware of anything like this happening at MS?

Can you please stay on topic. At least throw in a suggestion that he gets "such and such" 8/16 bit console in your posts as a subtle disguise. :p

Really, I don't think Bkilian shouldn't get anything out of the ordinary. Getting something based on Jaguar seems to be the best and most logical choice at this point. Hence, between the consoles coming out now I think he should most definitely get a...

Atari Jaguar. [strike]It's 128 bit!!! Which obviously beats the 64 bit CPUs in both PS4 and Xbox next.[/strike]

Regards,
SB

Can you please stay on topic. At least throw in a suggestion that he gets "such and such" 8/16 bit console in your posts as a subtle disguise. :p

sorry I didn't know that was a serious thread :D

I bet he will buy the console with superior audio hardware, Durango +1 (interference, betasomething, grall incoming in 3...2...1....)

What I was looking to see was if MS has had a multi-year project which during the development of that project, they kept doing market research on a somewhat regular basis to ensure that by the time the product was ready for market, that the market would be receptive to it.

I think this is vitally important these days with how rapidly information spreads and how quickly market dynamics change.

Are you aware of anything like this happening at MS?
I think Windows 8 may be proof they have not done such a thing... ;)

And I'm seriously leaning towards getting an original Gameboy color, I hear those things are awesome!

I think Bkillian should buy a console which doesn't have any sound output. I think once you spend your whole day dealing with audio you don't want to come home and listen to anything; however I think people who work in the visual arts should buy a console which works on sound alone for the same reason. Unfortunately the market doesn't seem to provide for that kind of niche so he should take an existing console and completely disable its sound output. He should also take care to make sure the console is as inaudible as possible so any console which has moving parts of any kind should be given a lower priority. I can't think of any modern console which meets these strict criteria, so I will leave it up to his own personal taste for choosing one which suits his needs.

I think Bkillian should buy a console which doesn't have any sound output. I think once you spend your whole day dealing with audio you don't want to come home and listen to anything; however I think people who work in the visual arts should buy a console which works on sound alone for the same reason. Unfortunately the market doesn't seem to provide for that kind of niche so he should take an existing console and completely disable its sound output. He should also take care to make sure the console is as inaudible as possible so any console which has moving parts of any kind should be given a lower priority. I can't think of any modern console which meets these strict criteria, so I will leave it up to his own personal taste for choosing one which suits his needs.

your wrong, every console meets those "criteria" just take down the volume of you tv/stereo/5.1

or

10647260_05000_1_-30_sconto.jpg

your wrong, every console meets those "criteria" just take down the volume of you tv/stereo/5.1

or

10647260_05000_1_-30_sconto.jpg

Wearing earplugs is impractical. It involves asking him to insert and remove things from his ears which I believe is both unreasonable and presents hygiene issues.

Yes you can mute the TV or the console itself, but I believe that mutation itself in a stable environment can be counter-productive as I do not anticipate the conditions inside his lounge to be a changing environment. To avoid any possible mutation we must prevent the very reproduction of sound itself. In the end the best candidate for him to game on would be a Windows PC because you can disable reproduction and hence prevent mutation in the machine.

Just get a VirtualBoy (for everyone in your family) and call it a decade. Hunched-over fun for everyone!

Back