Little secret: I HATE OFF-ROADING!!!

Haven't updated for a while since it's all been a bunch of nothing. Jay had some family issues to deal with so he is behind. Got the new engine in and the jeep running, one of the cylinders was misfiring and needed a new sensor. Got the new sensor installed a few weeks later and then the whole engine was misfiring. Then he figured out that water and/or mud got in to the gas tank so he was going to drop that and clean it out and change the oil/lube in the differentials so their bearings don't burn out. That was all from a few weeks ago. Learned about the gas tank last Monday and he swore it would be done by last Thursday. Haven't heard anything yet.

On the bright side it's 65f outside so if we ever do get it back I'll be able to take off the top, doors, pull the carpet and mebbe the seats, and power wash the bejeebus out of it. :)

Texted Jay about a week ago and heard nothing. My wife had an appointment out by where he lives and she texted me to tell me she was going to drive past just to see if her Jeep was there. I texted Jay to let him know and that our anxiety over it was getting a bit high. He called me back 2 minutes later.

So I didn't answer. It felt extremely freeing and liberating, I could wait to talk to him when I felt like it.

I had to shower and go somewhere and as soon as i was naked and getting ready to step in the shower he called again and for some reason I answered. He told me he'd just been talking to his wife about getting it done and he had some people coming over to hang out and help out, so it would definitely be finished this week.

For no reason whatsoever I am choosing to believe him. He's having a NWI Jeepers gathering at the Badlands where we sank the Jeep on April 27th and invited us along. Told him I'd love to, I just need a Jeep. He assured me it really would be done. I told him my wife's birthday was a couple of Fridays from now and if he could have the Jeep ready before that it'd be super fantastic as she has a week of vacation then too and he assured me it'd be ready.

So I'm looking at proper trail flag mounts, poles, and flags. Pretty sure I'll get something like this since it's cheap, works, and has a quick detach feature. Figure mount it to the rear bumper with a 6" whip pole and a flag up top. The flag is the bit I'm debating. I REALLY want to put a "don't step on snek" sign on it since most people will think it's the Gadsen flag and it cracks me up. Either that or a Purdue one, it needs to match her Jeep's color scheme or compliment it is my big hang up.

I had a memory flash slam me the other day when my wife asked me something about if I'll be able to take the interior out with my hands as they are and I suddenly just had a perfect recall of the two days of hell it was for me last time I had to take all the carpets/mats out and power wash the interior and the mats and carpet, then use the rug cleaner on the carpets, then dry it out and put it all back together. Just like "WHAM!" and I suddenly remembered it all in perfect detail, I haven't had a memory hit me like that in a long time.Then my neighbor talked to me as they had picked up a Wrangler because they'd liked ours but now it had the death wobble. I actually knew what she was talking about since we had the same thing and I just dropped down and crawled under her Wrangler and started taking some pictures. Showed her where the steering dampner was and that an upgraded on was about $50us and it was literally two bolts to replace it. Her husband works on their vehicles so I figured he'd like to know and I ended up hunting down a few articles and videos for them about what to check and how to fix it.

It was another memory bomb, just "BOOM! Here's how you fixed that!" in my head and it got me thinking about all the thing I've done to that Wrangler. Replacing the rear window and tailgate after my wife backed in to a pole, putting spacers on after she decided to get bigger rubber on her rims without considering how it'd bump in to some steering components, putting the stupid red net on the rollcage that I now love so much, putting on a winch, putting on a bullbar, installing lights to the bullbar and running the switch through the firewall and cutting a hole in the dash and being shocked at how nice and professionally done it all looked afterwords, replacing the stock headlights with LED ones, all the times I've had to re-attach or just put back on the fenders that we'd tear off on the trail, and a couple of other things. I can't help but like it, there's a lot of me in it.

So I've decided it really will be ready this week and I need help picking out a trail flag for her. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Sorry for the long post but it's been a weird week or two for me personally and I've went from trying to figure out how to get my family ready to live without me to having dodged another bullet and getting another shot at living forever has just put me in a bit more positive mood. Gonna head out to the gym and try and get even healthier so I can keep doing more stuff.

She'll be back soon, I know she will. :love:

Sorry why do you need a flag ?
and is that your idea of fun??????
Edit: forgot what the thread title was. That still leaves the question why are you off-roading

Sorry why do you need a flag ?
It's required safety gear on all vehicles at the Badlands and most off-road parks. It makes it easier to see vehicles from far away or over rocks/dunes/bushes. If you don't have one they sell you the little cheapy window one that I hate and I always though a real whip flag would not only look better but be safer as it goes higher and is more visible.

Why I'm off-roading is because my wife enjoys the hell out of it and I enjoy her being happy. Also because I bring my toolkit and an over abundance of knowledge now on how to get Jeeps unstuck, how to avoid getting stuck in the first place, and how to jury rig some repairs enough to get us home.

Off-roading isn't my idea of fun, but having the top off the Jeep and the half doors on is an absolute joy to drive around in the summer in. Even funner when we take the puppies with, but I stay pretty occupied making sure they stay in the vehicle.

Oh, I do love one thing about off-roading: getting home. I always just have a surge of joy when it's finally over.

Back