What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished both Inside and Little Nightmares over the weekend.
Don't get what's supposed to be so special about Inside: the puzzles are repetitive as hell and the whole thing was just way too ambiguous for its own good. I liked Limbo a lot more, especially in terms of gameplay. I was glad when it was over.
As for Little Nightmares: that game was awesome. Gorgeous, grim and a lot of fun to play. It really did feel like a nightmare. Unlike in Inside's case, here the ambiguity worked in its favor. It was rather easy and way too short for its steep asking price, though.

Finished both Inside and Little Nightmares over the weekend.
Don't get what's supposed to be so special about Inside: the puzzles are repetitive as hell and the whole thing was just way too ambiguous for its own good. I liked Limbo a lot more, especially in terms of gameplay. I was glad when it was over.
As for Little Nightmares: that game was awesome. Gorgeous, grim and a lot of fun to play. It really did feel like a nightmare. Unlike in Inside's case, here the ambiguity worked in its favor. It was rather easy and way too short for its steep asking price, though.

Which one? Inside or Little Nightmares?

Need to buy LN. I LOVED Inside, although I pretty much agree with all your criticisms, lol.

I just finished COD: IW...

OMG... that game was AMAZING!!!! I mean, I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi and space ships, and the Jackal flying parts reminded me of that Ace Combat game we got last gen, which was a guilty pleasure of mine.

Loved the cool "pew pew" laser weapons. Loved the capital ship boarding action missions.

All the way through the game I felt if this game was set in the Warhammer 40K universe I would be in literal gaming nirvana.

Which one? Inside or Little Nightmares?

Need to buy LN. I LOVED Inside, although I pretty much agree with all your criticisms, lol.

Little Nightmares. I suppose Inside is as well, but in that game's case, I was properly fed up with it when the credits started rolling. I wouldn't have minded loads more Little Nightmares though. It is really short. Really, really short. Way shorter than Limbo and Inside for that matter. 2 hours give or take. I got a free press version, so no complaints from me. Cannot really recommend the thing for its €20 asking price. It's really great, but there's simply not enough to it. Your mileage may vary of course. Critics tend to sneer when gamers bring up the value proposition. I think it's valuable information.

Last edited:
I do agree with the value proposition being important. I also understand why critics don't like to consider it though since they get all the games they play for free, so on a fundamental level, the price matters less when you aren't paying your hard earned cash for a game.

Little Nightmares is about £15 on PSN, which tbh, for me, for 2 hours of quality gaming in a linear story-based game is perfectly fine, provided the story is compelling enough.

I tend to have limited time to play and I like to devote what little time I do have to work through my AAA tentpole release backlog, so if I can get through a nice 2-hour bitesize PSN game in the downtime between finishing a big AAA release and picking up the next one in my backlog, I'm perfectly happy with that.

Those PSN games that are longer than 2-4 hours, I end up losing interest or parking to the side for the next big hyped AAA release and never returning to.

Come to think of it, I also played a bunch of Outlast 2. Hated it. The presentation is nice, but otherwise it really represents everything that's wrong with all these running away simulators: whenever there's actual "gameplay" (i.e. the parts where you aren't just wandering around by your lonesome reading notes), the game instantly gets annoying thanks to its shitty trial-and-error stealth mechanics. Worst of all are all the invisible walls. When a wooden plank that's sticking 10 inches out of the ground becomes a deathtrap, your traversal system is broken. As you cannot defend, let alone fight yourself out of a situation like that, frustration and anger kicked in almost immerdiately for me. The fact that you cannot defend yourself in the first place is another major annoyance. It's a really stupid mechanic (or lack thereof) for a horror game at the best of times, but in Outlast 2 it becomes an outright mockery since the levels constantly tease you with decorative assets like shovels and pitchforks. It's a rural area after all.

So after around 90 hours on Persona, I needed a little break and saw somewhere that Deus Ex - which I've had since launch and never touched - is a hell of a Pro enhanced game, with 4K and HDR.
So I fired it up to check how it looks like (amazing!) and... it's actually a pretty great game! Just getting my head around it but really loving it.
And yes, it looks incredible. The beginning not so much but as soon as you get to Prague, WOW.

I have got Dishonored 2 lying around mocking me ! I know it will be a great ride and somehow that stops me from putting it in my ps4. Cos then I will lose out on all the game jumping I am doing between Overwatch, FFXV, Resistance 2, DOOM, Ocarina of time and Star War BF !
Someday, my good game, someday I will feel that I am ready for the commitment, uptill then.....just wait and let me clean you every week as you lie there on my bookshelf...

Finished Yakuza 0 after a solid 50 hours. It was an absolutely amazing experience from start to finish. Well, finish isn't exactly the most appropriate term in Yakuza 0's case. According to the the stat screen, I completed a mere 33% of the game's total amount of content. Right now i'm taking a break, but I'll be returning to the game eventually. The side content is actually worth it for once.

Finished Yakuza 0 after a solid 50 hours. It was an absolutely amazing experience from start to finish. Well, finish isn't exactly the most appropriate term in Yakuza 0's case. According to the the stat screen, I completed a mere 33% of the game's total amount of content. Right now i'm taking a break, but I'll be returning to the game eventually. The side content is actually worth it for once.

Cheers, bud.

You just sold me on my next game purchase.

At its core its a brawler with rpg elements, wrapped up in a richly produced, Yakuza-themed soap opera narrative. By and large, that portion of the games is super serious. It's only a slice of the pizza, though. The rest of the game is made up of goofy, lovable side stories and a plethora of surprisingly fleshed-out mini games. People often compare the Yakuza games to Shenmue. And while many people would disagree with that, I happen to think it's a pretty apt comparison. It's a hell of a lot more exciting than Shenmue, though.

Last edited:
Got to play a bit of Injustice 2. Fun, frequently amazing looking game. Unfortunately the guys at Netherealm still cannot do proper during-fight animations for shit. In terms of budget and overall sales, they are far and away the pack leaders of the genre now. Too bad they seem utterly clueless when it comes to concepts like center of balance, leading with your core, and using good key-poses to effectively convey a sense of power and impact. You know, all that good stuff Capcom basically nailed right away with SF2. It's better than in MKX, but there's still an awful lot of spastic flailing about the place.
Credit where credit is due, though: when they aren't restrained by limited amount of frames and can go into full-blown movie animations, like during the clashes, they absolutely deliver. Facial animations are fantastic as well.

Last edited:
Gamestop has these give away two games from a list, add €10, and get a new game deals. Used it to get The Surge by parting with The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hour Glass and Donkey King Country Returns 3d. Pretty damn good deal I think.
As for the game: it's pretty damn good. I like it a lot. It really nails that labyrinthean Dark Souls Level Design. I'd even argue better than the latter Souls games actually. This leads to plenty of really cool "what the hell, this place was here all along?" kinda moments. I also really enjoy the combat. It's weighty and deliberate, but it's not sluggish like it was in Lords of the Fallen. Word of warning, though: it's hard as nails. The Surge mostly does away with the concept of trash mobs, so every encounter has a rather high likelihood of also being your last. Unlike in the last couple of Souls games, or rather every Souls game that's not Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, your trips into the unknown can be very long and arduous as well. Where it mostly falls short is in the variety department. The different armor pieces and weapons you can equip and upgrade look really cool and make a very noticeable difference, but the giant factory you're in for the most part simply cannot compete with a game that has you visit memorable places such as The Cathedral of the Deep and Irithyll. Also, most enemies can be filed under "dudes with power armor" and "some type of maintenance robot".
Visually it's really nice. The PBR work is great, the animations are terrific, and lighting in particular is truly fantastic. As a matter of fact, the dramatic lighting is often a bit too good. There are plenty of spots in the game where you can barely see anything but the little lights of your as well as your enemy's combat rig, and this can result in the occasional flail-and-pray moment. In keeping with the tradition of flashlights in video games, your rig mounted headlights are of little help as they are pathetically ineffective of course. At least they aren't powered by the same batteries as the Outlast camcorder.

Well I haven't been playing basically anything for a long time, but I finally did finish the Infamous 2 DLC First Light. It was somewhat enjoyable, but felt really light on effort and content compared to the main game. Witcher 3 probably has spoiled me.

I have hard time deciding what to play next. I have a ton of games waiting on PS4 and PC. I might do Titanfall 2 and after either Shadows of Mordor or GTA 5.

same here....have a ton of games waiting but cant decide what to start after the stupendous Nier Automata. it was so special that i dont think anything except something as eccentric as Persona can match it. but I have so many pending games that it feels wrong to buy another when I have good games lying around.
maybe i should finally finish MGSV or start Dishonored2 ....even have GOW3 remaster around. then i can finish shadow of mordor too....or maybe alien isolation. bah !
all mt head can think of Persona 5 and its slick red visuals ! [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

same here....have a ton of games waiting but cant decide what to start after the stupendous Nier Automata. it was so special that i dont think anything except something as eccentric as Persona can match it. but I have so many pending games that it feels wrong to buy another when I have good games lying around.
maybe i should finally finish MGSV or start Dishonored2 ....even have GOW3 remaster around. then i can finish shadow of mordor too....or maybe alien isolation. bah !
all mt head can think of Persona 5 and its slick red visuals ! [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

I really wouldn't start Dishonoured 2 straight after Nier. Go for Persona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back