What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I are working are way through the gold blocks, unlocks and side levels. We were around 100 gold blocks and 480x stud multiplier. I'd like to platinum it like I did Batman 2, but sometimes these games get buggy and stop you dead in your tracks.

Having a hard time making it through Bioshock Infinite.

Seems to accentuate the worst elements of the Unreal Engine (total lack of environmental interactivity) and the fact that the story is totally at odds with the searching for money / healthpacks game design. I knew something was wrong when an entire level (on the PS3) consisted of a single room with a single door and zero gameplay options other than hitting a button to open the door to get to the next loading screen.

Dishonoured was the game that this one wanted to be I think.

For me it was the music, the style, the weird state of another world. And then things got real.. Man I Love that line.. whenever someone I know plays bioshock infinite I always say, dude things are about to get real..

Anyway, give it a chance.. :)

Played the Lightning Returns : FFXIII demo. Man, the gfx are horrible but the fighting is finally fun !!! THey mapped attacks to fce buttons, including dodging, so everything is quick andfeels like an action game,no more fiddling in the menus to select an attack, they have made groups of different attacks(customisable) which u can shift with L1 n R1 if u want. Finally fighting fun Fun ! But the gfx are ps2 flat :(! If only this had gfx like FFXIII then this could be the FF which I would actually love. I liked FFXII too because the fighting was fluid and not separate from the main game. I have not played FFXIII-2 but this Battle system is the best. Wish NinoKuni would also adapt this, a lot of time is lost in shifting the radial menus while selecting the next attack in Nino Kuni.

Having a hard time making it through Bioshock Infinite.

Seems to accentuate the worst elements of the Unreal Engine (total lack of environmental interactivity) and the fact that the story is totally at odds with the searching for money / healthpacks game design. I knew something was wrong when an entire level (on the PS3) consisted of a single room with a single door and zero gameplay options other than hitting a button to open the door to get to the next loading screen.

Dishonoured was the game that this one wanted to be I think.

Gameplay and mechanics wise Infinite is a bad game, its the story that hooks you completely after a while. If you don't like the core gameplay, I didn't, it will not get better later. Unlike Bioshock 1,The game also never explains vigours, etc. Why its only you using them when they are lying all around the place. Where the eff is it being shipped to in crates n crates ???

Anyways, its a story you will remember for a long time, keep going. ;)

Played the new Tempest game (TxK or something?) on the Vita last night. Quite pleasing. What's even more pleasing is that I'm starting to get Terraria now.

Lightning Returns
What a weird-ass game. Also tough as nails. Didn't sweat like that during boss encounters since Ornstein and Smough. The second boss took me more than 30 minutes to take down, and that's not including the god-knows-how-many failed attempts before that. The strict time limit means that you simply cannot retreat and give it another try at a later time whenever you feel like it. Defeating bosses is pretty much the only way to grow Lightning in a way that actually makes a difference anyway. The couple of extra HP, MP and Str points you gain from completing sidequests don't really amount to an awful lot, so you might as well tough it out. This is a game where there's a very real chance that you're gonna fail your primary mission.

It's also surprisingly ugly. At first I thought my memories about the beauty of FFXIII were largely nostalgic, but when I fired it up again for comparison's sake I was quite shocked about just how much worse Lightning Returns looks. For what it's worth, FFXIII still looks and runs marvelous, and it's polished to the highest possible shine. FFXIII-3 kinda reminds me of Dragon Age 2. Everything seems haphazardly thrown together on a shoestring budget.

I still like it, though. Figuring out the right strategies for tackling seemingly insurmountable obstacles is hella rewarding.

Yea, I played the demo, loved the battle system, its like an action game now, but the gfx looked really bad. But the gameplay felt really fun. Machinima also praised it a LOT in their review. But they said that the game lets u do what you want when you want and you can add time(to the 13 days limit) by doing side quests.

I took the kids to see Lego The Movie, then later we were playing Lego Marvel and I said what they Hell and popped into the store and bought the Lego movie game. A few minutes later we were in the game. This new play as you download system is bad the for the wallet. At least the digital version was $10 less than the Amazon price and no tax.

Rancid & I started playing Dead Island last night in co-op mode. He's had it awhile, but I just got it this past month as part of the Games with Gold. Pretty awesome so far. It's definitely a serious co-op game & an open-world at that. Kinda reminded me of Far Cry with Left 4 Dead. If you didn't get it free you missed out! :)

Tommy McClain

P.S. Check out my Games with Gold spreadsheet on Google Docs if you want to easily keep up with all the games. It has a download link to the latest release, as well as release dates, MetaCritic scores, links to the games' Wikipedia pages & averages for release dates/ MetaCritic scores. I'm trying to add support for sorting. Hopefully to have it ready for March's releases.

Still Lego Marvel Super Heroes. 99.8% complete, 17 billion studs accumulated.

Next.. The Last of Us DLC.

Yea, I played the demo, loved the battle system, its like an action game now, but the gfx looked really bad. But the gameplay felt really fun. Machinima also praised it a LOT in their review. But they said that the game lets u do what you want when you want and you can add time(to the 13 days limit) by doing side quests.

While the game does let you do whatever the hell you want at any given time, it is frustratingly opaque about what it is you actually can do at any given time, where to do it, and whether it's actually worth doing or just a giant waste of time. Like I said, the rewards for doing sidequests are often quite pitiful (and they add a grand total of one day to the timer if you complete 40 of them. If you want to extend the timer, you gotta do the main quest), so maybe spending your time on grinding items out of monsters in order to upgrade your abilites, or even to get abilities in the first place, (abilities are drops now) would be preferable. Problem is that you're never really sure because the game tells you fuck all about anything.

To me it feels like they designed the game first, threw in the timer later, and never bothered to adjust the gameplay accordingly. I'm actually not at all against a game that dares to carry its story beats over to its mechanical foundations. I very much applaud that kinda thing actually. I like Dead Rising because of the ticking clock and not inspite of it. Same with the Atelier games. The difference being that these games are designed to let the player plan ahead by virtue of having clearly laid-out objectives and rule sets. In Lightning Returns you're mostly fumbling around in the dark, hoping for the best.

I probably shouldn't have started the game on normal. According to the infinite wisdom of the interwebs, easy in LR is still pretty challenging, while normal is just mercilessly tough. Would have been cool to know about that earlier.

I took the kids to see Lego The Movie, then later we were playing Lego Marvel and I said what they Hell and popped into the store and bought the Lego movie game. A few minutes later we were in the game. This new play as you download system is bad the for the wallet. At least the digital version was $10 less than the Amazon price and no tax.

My kid is going to see the movie this Wednesday, but I noticed the game in store already last week, but I wanted it digital (not only for me - the less kids have to mess about with discs, the better for the system ;) ), so I actually had to wait for it to appear in the store.

But my kid absolutely loves it. It is much easier than the Lego Marvel game, and much more suitable to kids in general. That also probably makes it less interesting for adults. But he's really into this game - it's the first 'big' game that he's asked to play himself, and has played quite a bit for himself. I played a few sections with him, but most of it he's played alone so far and some with a friend (Rayman he's always played with friends and that went quite well, but he's not keen on playing that by himself).

So yeah, highly recommended for young kids. Maybe not so much for adults - I personally get a little bit annoyed by how much better the game could still be technically on next-gen. On the other hand, the last gen version (I saw the 360 version) looks pretty great for last gen.

Still FFXIII-3. I've grown quite fond of it too. Fuck graphics, the game is simply a lot of fun to play. That battle system is just sublime.

I also bought Strider for the PS4. I'm not feeling this thing at all. There's basically no way you can avoid getting riddled with bullets all the time, and the game accounts for that by conveniently coughing up health pickups on a regular basis. No finesse required at all. Just speed. It simply feels like sloppy design.
It also looks dull as dish water. And wtf is up with that sorry excuse for a soundtrack?

I also bought Strider for the PS4. I'm not feeling this thing at all. There's basically no way you can avoid getting riddled with bullets all the time, and the game accounts for that by conveniently coughing up health pickups on a regular basis. No finesse required at all. Just speed. It simply feels like sloppy design.
It also looks dull as dish water. And wtf is up with that sorry excuse for a soundtrack?

I supposed you have not yet unlocked the upgrades for the cypher that
allows to deflect bullets nor the catapult, that also can be upgraded to deflect bullets, or the shield option.

Nope, I haven't. Maybe I'll do that. It's just that I really don't like a single thing about the game right now. The visuals, the sound, the designs, the mashy combat, the sticky way Strider clings to surfaces - nothing works for me.
God, I miss Koji Igarashi's 2d Metroidvania games.

Don't Starve PS4 has completely taken over my wife and I's life for the last few weeks. Dangerous game to start playing!

=)

Thinking about grabbing Rayman Legends for the PS4 today as I just noticed it supports couch co-op.

Cheers

Don't Starve PS4 has completely taken over my wife and I's life for the last few weeks. Dangerous game to start playing!

=)

Thinking about grabbing Rayman Legends for the PS4 today as I just noticed it supports couch co-op.

Cheers

I have Rayman Legends for Wii U, and its incredible. My wife even played it with me, and she doesnt really play many games. Granted with Wii U she was able to be Murphy 95% of the time, giving her a very casual laid back experience, but it was a great experience the entire time. Rayman Legends is a prime example of how to be ambitious with a new 2D platformer. Nintendo should take notice, Rayman Legends exceeds Nintendo's own efforts as of late in the majority of categories.

I am currently playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and while its a solid DKC game, its also rather uninspired, and in my opinion a terrible use of Nintendo premier development studio, Retro Studios. It doesnt do anything wrong, but it feels like DKC Returns in HD. Yes the rotating camera angles are neat, but they dont really change much of the gameplay. Its a good game, but its more of the same in my opinion. My Nintendo buddies are going to hate me, but I just cant give this game a high review score. Its simply not ambitious enough to be considered "great". The competition has caught up to Nintendo's 2D efforts, and they are typically doing it at a much cheaper price. I think to many games these days get high scores, a 7.5 should be a "good game" score, and thats what I would give DKC TF. The graphics in Returns was more impressive on Wii than TF is on Wii U, and the long layoff made Returns feel fresh at the time while TF feels like more of the same. If you love DKC games, your probably going to still really enjoy TF, but in my opinion it needed to do more to get a great score from me. Rayman Legends I felt like was a 9.5 masterpiece, its not quite perfect, but there is a ton of unique ideas, and a massive amount of content. Not to many 2D platformers took me 30 hours to compelte, and thats what Rayman Legends did.

Played a bit of Ys Memories of Celceta on the Vita. Jesus, that is one ugly looking game. C- grade stock anime look, ropey framerate,and a fuzzy sub native resolution that cannot possibly be much higher than that of a PSP game. By far the the worst of offender is the quality of the animations though. It's just laughably bad. The first character running cycle I ever did in Cinema 4d, although plenty bad looking without a doubt, still looked nowhere near as amateurish as the stuff found in Ys on the Vita.

Granted, I love graphics, but I'm not really a graphics whore regardless. There are rare instances where Graphics become distractingly bad, though, and that's very much the case with Ys for me.

I just started playing Hitman Absolution and man the game looks beautiful and the gameplay is really sweet. It feels really polished too. It's free for Live Gold members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back