What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Gerry, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry

Regular

Finished Killzone 3. I good blockbuster FPS with a slightly preposterous setting, but good fun.

Bloody short though isn't it?

2. tuna

Veteran

I have played it forever it feels like.....but it is an experience in 3d!

3. tuna

Veteran

Played Limbo on Vita, awesome and cruel!

4. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

I thought DS2 was incredibly disappointing. From its near non-existent story (that doesn't have any impact on the bigger picture) that painted the grim reaper as nothing more than a pathetic errand boy, with a principal antagonist you never met until 5 minutes before the end, to the vast stretches of empty space that served little purpose besides padding the game's length. The loot system felt needlessly tacked-on as well. It made searching for hidden chests that much less enticing because 9 out of 10 times you'd only find a bunch of crap you never needed anyway. In DS1, every hidden chest was worthwhile because the rewards were all put there by a designer.
    I didn't really like the combat either. It was incredibly hectic and read very poorly on screen due to the busy art style. Everyone in that game had spikes coming out of spikes. Great fit for a comic panel, but one hell of a big mess in motion. Skill trees were also weak, with loads and loads of stuff like putting down a point for an extra five-percent chance of inflicting critical hits. How very exciting.
    I didn't really like the puzzle design either. Instead of trying to integrate them into the environments like the developers tried to with the first game, DS2 was all straight up Zelda-style puzzle rooms with pressure plates, switches and levers. I also thought the game's strict adherence to the old rule of three - it is always three keys you have to collect, or three spirits, or whatever thingamajic as long as it comes in threes - was bordering on self parody.
    Last but not least, the game didn't really end. It just stopped. You could really tell how the team ran out of time and money as the game progressed.
    Great music and voice acting though. Michael Wincott has one hell of a fantastic voice.

5. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

You and me both. It's been ages since a game has put the kind of shit-eating grin on my face like Rayman Origins did.

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Superfrog is quite a complete little package by the way: cross buy, level editor and level sharing online, original and HD versions of levels, challenges, etc. Not bad.

7. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Wow ! But I am finding fantastic stuff in the chests :eek: ! In fact it has been three times now that I bought something cool only to find somehting cooler in a chest ! And combat is much faster than last rime, yes, but thats a good thing for me. War was too slow, Death reacts quickly to your button presses thus making it easier to pull off combos.

As for Dungeons, yes they are what you describe and are very fun to traverse ! They look so complicated and are extremely fun to find ways and hidden chests and extra goodies.

Can't speak for the end, am not there yet. But the world isn't barren at all, its all filled with hidden stones which give power ups, collectibles, hidden dungeons. Its anything but barren to me, there's always something hidden right around th ecorner making exploration extremely rewarding !

8. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

I think my biggest problem with the loot was how it slowed the pace of a game which was already quite slow moving to begin with even further down. Every enemy in that game sorta burst into a loot Pinhata upon death, and then it was back to the item menu screen again. (not a very well designed screen by any measure)

I also really missed the first game's stronger emphasis on story. Granted, it wasn't a particularly mind blowing yarn in the first game either (rather convoluted and dopey in fact), but there were still some really cool characters in that game. The Giant at the forge (I loved his little who-can-kill-more angels challenge) , the angels, and especially the demon Samael (was that his name?) were surprisingly well written. They also moved the plot along, and they even surprised me at times (I was quite shocked when Samael actually honored his end of the deal). Now compare this to all the quest givers in DS2 who basically have one single characteristic and one single characteristic only: they are all lazy as fuck and cannot be bothered to do anything by themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the game. I did finish it after all. I just thought it was kind of all over the place and really could have used some focus. (that focus actually comes later, and it's a rather jarring transition)

9. RenegadeRocks

Legend

he he ! And I love it for the very loot :grin: ! There's lots of loot meaning I change my playstyle every hour. That is what I love about Torchlight 2 and now DS2.

and yes, story is non existant, but the gameplay is so fun I am not missing it at all. But there is more humour this time around "I don't know, I am just a pup !" Every character has humourous lines ; The Stone Guardian :"its on the tip of my tongue, but I think I lost my tongue!" :smile:. I think they changed the tone of the game completely. DS1 took itself very seriously, DS2 lets you have fun in a fantasy world. I can see if you are heavily invested in the DS world, the first 10 hours don't really give you much story wise.

But its a complete rehaul of the gameplay which I absolutely adore ! SO much fun, so much loot so much to do and fast and exciting combat ! THe game keeps things fresh in every dungeon. I just keep looking forward to the next dungeon, the next possessed weapon, the next skill, etc. It has dug its teeth deep into me :twisted: ! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes exploration, combat, loot, puzzes, levelling up and fun ! They made a fantastic package out of a humdrum action game of DS1. DS1 was good, but it became monotonous after a while, this.....this is Awesome !

10. DrJay24

Veteran

I'm playing Max Payne 3, my first Payne game. Not bad, just repetitive and I'm wondering why I should care about any of the people in the story, no one in it is worthy of empathy.

I also played some Dishonored, but it comes off as a Bioshock Infinite clone, I can't get the combat and powers to mesh into anything fun.

I think I'll just take a break, after TLoU, everything is kind of a let down.

11. Gerry

Regular

I ended up hating MP3 although I forced myself to complete it. You're right, everyone in the game is an unlikeable arsehole - there is literally nobody in the game to empathise with. And it is very repetitive; changing little throughout the whole 8 hours or so.

12. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

Just emerging from the other side of a Skylanders black hole!! Spyro and Giants back to back...

13. kots

Regular

Civ V BNW . The definition of addiction .

14. Nisaaru

Regular

But the narrative of the game, music and action is quite effective in immersing the player. When I walked through the airport and this tune "Health - Tears" starts....it felt powerful and perfect at that moment. The whole game felt like a trip you played in some kind of trance. I wasn't so convinced at first about the location of the game but it worked for me in the end through the excellent story telling.

#454 Nisaaru, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  15. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Welcome in my world...

16. patsu

Legend

I took a small break to work on Arduino robots with my kid.

Now that summer break is over, I have more free time !
    Trying to catch up on Playstation 4 news.

Still hoping for some sort of integration between iOS and Playstations. Or I'll do something custom myself.
    -_-

Have they released the PS3 puppet game and the paper game on Vita ?

17. Cornsnake

Veteran

Puppeteer is going to be released next month. And we'll get a demo next week.

Tearaway was delayed until November.

18. patsu

Legend

Thanks ! Glad to see them taking their time with Tearaway. Think it's a high touch concept. May be hard to relate to.

19. poopypoo

Veteran

Ironically, I've spent a bit of time with UFC Undisputed 3 this week after picking it up used. It's really good. o_O; it still has that (to borrow a reference) "rock em sock em robots" feel of the old Acclaim wresting titles in its heritage... but the career mode is surprisingly deep and creating tattoos and trying to mix and match a perfect MMA martial art for your player makes it all pretty cool. It has a lot of glaring flaws, but all in all it's a deep title with a surprising amount of care and effort put into the whole package. I pray (and seriously doubt) that EA will put together a worthy successor next year. I'm just afraid they're much too graphics-oriented and supermove-oriented to "get" it.

20. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Played some Dead Space 2 after I enjoyed Dead Space 3 for some hours on my PC. These games are good :) !

Played some Dead Rising 2 too, but it doesn't click with me. Has a kindof lazy quality to it, something you would play when you are completely bored on a very hot summer afternoon and have nothing else to do and feel so lazy that you don't want to be excited , so you just walk among zombies bashing them here n there. It gets tough n all, but the overall feel takes me back to student days with overly free time to kill on slow and dragging games :p ! Can't see myself playing this now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.