What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dust: An Elysian Tail - One of the rare cases these days where I start playing a game and lose the sense of time...played nearly 5hrs yesterday and I could continue playing but checked the clock and it was 4am so I had to stop, such a really fun game with lots of stuff to do, very good pacing and a breathtaking 2D presentation.

Yup, been playing this since it was released and am loving it so far. The music is great, the graphics are up with some of the best 2D games this gen, the world is large enough, and it seems like there's always something for me to do. I'm about ~8 hours in and have only 64% completed so far. Of the 100+ digital games I've purchased for the PS360, I can probably count on one hand how many I've beaten. I'm definitely going to finish Dust, which is saying something.

Killzone 2 is miels ahead of Killzone 3 in temrs of level design,feel and gameplay. And I prefer the controls of KZ2 over KZ3. After the high precision patch, they were perfect. KZ3 lost its identity in trying to please to the cod crowd.

OTOH, I bought the Deus Ex DLC today, the one which give extra weapons and missions. I heard from someone that one has to restart the game to get the dlc weapons and money (credits?). Is that true ??? I don't feel like replaying the whole start again , i want to move ahead as I find the game very very engaging !!!

OTOH, I bought the Deus Ex DLC today, the one which give extra weapons and missions. I heard from someone that one has to restart the game to get the dlc weapons and money (credits?). Is that true ??? I don't feel like replaying the whole start again , i want to move ahead as I find the game very very engaging !!!

The voucher that came with my boxed copy has a warning that you need to get the DLC before starting a new game. I remember the shotgun and sniper rifle being in my inventory at the start of the first real mission. If they aren't there then you won't have them in your current game.

Replaying everything that is 3D now that I have a 27" passive 3D monitor/tv. Favorites so far are Super Stardust (amazing), and Uncharted 3 - tempted to play through it completely again, and my wife even wants to see me play. Still have to try some games like De Blob 2 and Killzone 3.

I like some of Killzone 2's levels, but I actually thought they were far too much spawnpoint based ... several times I'd my ground and shoot enemies from a safe position, and could go on forever, while if you just push through, reaching a certain point always the same - enemies retreat and you're on for the next bit. For Killzone 3 there were clearly a fixed number of enemies to kill, even more apparent now that I've played some sections twice and remember where they come from and how many.

Have good memories of some of the multiplayer maps of KZ2 though, which I played a lot especially in the beta.

Killzone 3 looks good in 3D. I'm no fan of the tech in the first place though. I have a 42 inch 3DTV and I barely even use it for 3D.

Anyways I just finished off Sleeping Dogs, damn good game.
Great gameplay, good story, consistent (and sometimes funny) writing with excellent characters (the main character is very likeable), a different setting and it looks very pretty. I don't think I can play any other open world game the same way now after experiencing the freedom of movement your playing character has in Sleeping Dogs in terms of combat and free running. Its the best open world game I've played this gen alongside RDR (thogh that is a different kind of open world game).

On to Darksiders 2 now.

The voucher that came with my boxed copy has a warning that you need to get the DLC before starting a new game. I remember the shotgun and sniper rifle being in my inventory at the start of the first real mission. If they aren't there then you won't have them in your current game.

Hmm.. You mean I should boot the game and check my inventory, if the guns are not there, I should start a new game and I will get them ? I hope there's no chance of losing them forever if I continnue my present game.

Same for the money u recieve? Money or xp, I can't remember anymore, but I am supposed to ge t10000 of something !

If I have restart , then I will try going non-lethal this time as the dlc is anyways gonna give me lethal guns later. One question, if I go non-lethal and avoid all enemeies and circumvent around them, won't I be losing tons of xp? Also, I will be losing out on explring the room and gathering stuff, ebooks, beers, ammo, etc. how does the game compensate for hiding tactically and moving to the next room without engaging anyone?

I wouldn't worry about it in MGS, but this is an RPG and u need xp to level -up, right ?

Killzone 3 looks good in 3D. I'm no fan of the tech in the first place though. I have a 42 inch 3DTV and I barely even use it for 3D.
Great gameplay, good story, consistent (and sometimes funny) writing with excellent characters (the main character is very likeable), a different setting and it looks very pretty. I don't think I can play any other open world game the same way now after experiencing the freedom of movement your playing character has in Sleeping Dogs in terms of combat and free running. Its the best open world game I've played this gen alongside RDR (thogh that is a different kind of open world game).

On to Darksiders 2 now.

I have the same size passive 3dtv and I try to make most use of it when possible. I am finding that I enjoy the 3D functionality more with gaming than with movies. I enjoy the added depth. I am starting to enjoy Move alot more too now that I got the pistol grip.

I have to say I think passive 3D is definitely the future. The fact that your eyes both get a constant stream of information is far more comfortable and fluid than when using every other frame for left and right, with a full 'block' of one eye inbetween that you get with active shutter glasses. You'd basically have to have 160+ refreshes per second (80+ per eye) in order for your eyes not to notice anymore, even if unconsciously by fatiguing earlier, like in the old days of CRT.

Played some more Uncharted 3, and man that game has some wow moments. Walking around in the museum as a young Nate is breathtaking, and everywhere they did some great job with the lighting. It's the closest a game so far seems to come to something of the quality of TinTin (movie).

It's also the first game where I've noticed putting the depth at maximum is too much, and gives the wrong dimensions to a space. I put it at half, and that gives a much more natural look. Sweet spot may be somewhere around 60-70.

I think that right now, I love 3D even more for movies though, but I can imagine that CGI heavy / Pixar style movies are going to have a huge step up from regular movies, too many of which are still 3D 'remasters' (though fortunately that's getting more rare).

It's good timing, as my video store is starting to have quite a lot of 3D BluRays.

But yeah, Uncharted is impressive. You get a slight framerate hit every now and then when things get busy, but otherwise they have managed to give you the impression that you're not losing much detail at all.

On to Darksiders 2 now.

You've just cost me £34 now... Had to go and put my order in on Amazon after reading that :D

Regarding Sleeping Dogs, what kind of music is in the game? Is it like GTA when there is licensed music or is it a score? If licensed, is it real HKPop or western music?

Hmm.. You mean I should boot the game and check my inventory, if the guns are not there, I should start a new game and I will get them ? I hope there's no chance of losing them forever if I continnue my present game.

Same for the money u recieve? Money or xp, I can't remember anymore, but I am supposed to ge t10000 of something !

If I have restart , then I will try going non-lethal this time as the dlc is anyways gonna give me lethal guns later. One question, if I go non-lethal and avoid all enemeies and circumvent around them, won't I be losing tons of xp? Also, I will be losing out on explring the room and gathering stuff, ebooks, beers, ammo, etc. how does the game compensate for hiding tactically and moving to the next room without engaging anyone?

I wouldn't worry about it in MGS, but this is an RPG and u need xp to level -up, right ?

I think you won't have those weapons in your current game. Any new game you start should have them.

The 10000 is money.

You do need XP to level up. Or buy/find praxis kits. You regularly get a lot of XP if you complete a section without being seen, and XP for not triggering alarms. I played stealthy the first time and I rarely felt restricted in where I could explore. There are usually multiple ways to get somewhere. Just invest in all the augments that can open up ways to explore like hacking, higher jumping, the icarus landing system, lifting heavy objects, and breaking through walls.

Not playing KZ3 with Move I guess? (makes it much more fun)

I was playing with a DS3, to be honest I've never tried Move (same with Kinect). :p

Back on topic I finished KZ3 a few days ago and as far as PS3 exclusives go I vastly prefer Resistance 1/3 to Killzone 2/3...I'm actually thinking to start a Hard playthrough on Resistance 3 soon - I also played almost 5hrs of Darksiders 2 and spend some time at Dead Island & Trine 2 with a friend.

DS2 while it's a good game thus far it starts off somewhat dull and boring when compared to the first game...Death as of now is a less interesting character than War, the story hasn't progressed at all from the first hour and I'm just doing some fetch quests for some characters so they can help me to progress further (and from what I've read the game continues like that till the end).

I've played two dungeons thus far that were decent, the combat system is also improved from the first game though I think that the went too far with the particles in combat and sometimes you just don't understand what you're doing, the art direction is great and all the hidden stuff & loot that they added are definitely welcome BUT the game feels like a beta, it feels like an unfinished game that needed 6 more months in development. I'm playing the 360 version and the performance of the game is like really really bad - random stutters, lots of tearing (especially in the big open areas) and lots of frame-rate drops that are really apparent in battles which is very disappointing...as far as this generation of consoles go I don't think that I have played another game that felt so rushed and unpolished. :cry:

I also started Dead Island with a friend via system link and while it's not something special it's fun at co-op, also continued playing Trine 2 which is really good at co-op and it looks absolutely amazing - seriously it's one of the best looking games of this gen IMO, simply gorgeous.

Regarding Sleeping Dogs, what kind of music is in the game? Is it like GTA when there is licensed music or is it a score? If licensed, is it real HKPop or western music?

Radio stations are licensed with mix of HKPop and western music ranging from hip hop to old school rock. THE song selection is VERY good. On missions you get composed score.

I just got done playing Deadlight on XBL. Fun platforming/side scroller in a zombie world. Mild story, mild puzzles, nice length....fun game.

I just finished Darksiders 1. Very good game. Took me 16 hours to finish it. Directly bought Darksiders 2 which so far seems even better.

And I finished Darksiders II. Thought it was okay, but not anywhere near as good as the first game. It was also incredibly buggy and felt rather unfinished. It's one of these dang front loaded-games again.

Deus Ex : spentthe better part of the day unsuccesffully trying to get into the morgue from the roof entrance only to realise just now that I could just talk to the guy at reception and get in :cry:

And I finished Darksiders II. Thought it was okay, but not anywhere near as good as the first game. It was also incredibly buggy and felt rather unfinished. It's one of these dang front loaded-games again.

I also finished Darksiders 2 yesterday. I liked it more than DS1. Overall for me it was much better (and longer). Although the bugs are scary!!!

I tried Rock Band Blitz and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron ... Blitz seemed ok - I think I am more a guy for Rockband 3, but I might still buy it as a Rockband expansion pack, more to have the songs in Rockband 3 than to have my Rockband songs in Blitz. All the comments about the coin system on Neogaf surely do put me off a little - that kind of system should not be in a game you buy, but then again I can understand you have to buy stuff because those songs simply cost money. I'd just prefer them to do either or, and not both: either buy songs, or make it free to play with limitations, but not both.

Fun as a score chaser though. Reminds me that they should have the Rockband 3 experience installable to the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back