What are you playing now? [2023]

Just finished Robocop, the game immediately got on my bad side because every time I strafe left I change weapons why ? because they hard coded the change weapon key to Q
I got around that with the help of keytweak downside is you need to reboot before and after playing the game.
Movement is clunky (there's a valid reason for that) but you do get used to it.
I quite enjoyed the game and now I have a craving to replay Terminator Resistance by the same developer.

Played a couple of loops of Starfield - meh. Way too boring in a way that Skyrim and Fallout aren't.
Finished my fifth playthrough of BG3 - definately not meh!
Got suckered in by the demo of Immortals of Aveum and bought the full game. Played a few hours and then forgot about it. Looks pretty, but is just a collection of stolen ideas poorly implemented.
Dipping in and out of Farcry 6, Valhalla, and Cyberpunk.
Completed The Invincible - now that is a really well done story driven game. Haven't found all the different endings yet.
Now waiting for Avatar to pre-load.

Also got my Portal to complement my Steam Deck (which I upgraded to the OLED version) - now I have everything I need to actually leave the house :D

But I also added a few more devices to my ever growing collection - an original VCS 2600, Gamecube, PS3 FAT, PS2 OG, Amiga 600 and 2000. Plus games of course!

Played American Arcadia a few days ago and really enjoyed it! I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't and it kept me up way late to finish it. Short but good.

Played American Arcadia a few days ago and really enjoyed it! I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't and it kept me up way late to finish it. Short but good.

Looks like an interesting take on the Another World/Out of this World (1991) style of game which itself is similar to the older Prince of Persia (1989) although POP was almost entire indoors. Like Limbo, but not horroresque but more kitsche. I might have to check it out.

Regards,
SB

Looks like an interesting take on the Another World/Out of this World (1991) style of game which itself is similar to the older Prince of Persia (1989) although POP was almost entire indoors. Like Limbo, but not horroresque but more kitsche. I might have to check it out.

Regards,
SB
It's more than it appears, and it's got a funny/quirky edge instead of horror. It surprised and delighted me.

Just finished Avatar. That is one awesome game, the visuals are on a whole new level and so is the soundscape. I was playing with headset on and it was amazing. There are a few niggles with the game mechanics e.g. enemy can spot you long before you see them, no matter what the weather conditions and even through rocks and buildings etc. Also I had a couple of crashes and one level where the enemy could detect you whole rooms away and also shoot through all the walls and never miss. Manage to cheese my way through that though on the 4th attempt.

But other than those few instances the overall gameplay was satisfying. I guess the eco warrior message might grate with some people but, given how annoyingly weird most of life is nowadays, I just found it applicabl to the story and environment. And yes it is just a Farcry game with blue cat aliens but it plays more like Crisis and as I like both Farcry and Crisis it was a winner for me.

Just waiting for the price to drop now so I can get a copy on PC and really crank up the visuals.

if you want a fun, cheap, weird, interesting, simple and paranoia-inducing game, check out "the exit 8" on steam

@BoardBonobo thanks for the Avatar "review"; your likening it to Farcry and Crysis means it's now in my Steam wishlist for whenever it next goes on sale. :)

As for me, I completed Starfield NG+1 yesterday. Did my usual goodie-two-shoes character on the first go round, helping people, taking the nice dialog options, blah blah. For NG+1 I played murder hobo a-hole, and enjoyed that too. Towards the end I had enormouos bounties with both FC and UC; I gave zero effs and rolled into their solar systems whenever my current task necessitated it. Oh so you want to stop me in space because I'm a wanted criminal? You know what happened last time you and half the orbiting ships around this planet tried stopping me, right? No? Oh, lemme remind y'all.

<Danny Devito - so I started blastin'.gif>

Good thing is, once you murderhobo all the non-random POI security NPCs, they don't seem to come back. So after you land, life can continue as normal.

I'm restarting Cyberpunk 2077 as I finished my first playthrough back when 1.6 was the latest and greatest. Really interested to see the new patched goodness and the extra content of Phantom Liberty.

Last edited:
After finishing Starfield I had a craving for more space related games so I bought Chorus (released 2021) and it's ok
You play as someone who acquires powers by visiting temples why does that seem familiar ?
ps: Chorus demo :

I recently finished Ratchet & Clank... It was a fun game with clearly very high production values. Graphically it was extremely impressive, and really does feel like playing a Pixar movie with everything being absolutely pristine and consistent. Gameplay wise I certainly started to enjoy it more towards the end as I finally grasped the "RPG lite" weapon upgrades mechanic, but outside of that it was still good fun. I'd give it a 10 for graphics and production values and probably a 7.5 for actual gameplay.

Following that I've finally started Cyberpunk 2077 and man... that is on a totally different level from a gameplay perspective. It's been a while since I played a good RPG to be fair but I'm absolutely absorbed into the world and have probably put more hours into the game in the last 4 days than I put into R&C in the preceding 4 weeks. Graphically it's certainly less consistent and pristine that R&C, but I'm amazed by the art direction and the huge complexity and depth of the world that they've created here. While R&C is like playing a Pixar movie, Cyberpunk is more like being inside a real, living, breathing, cyberpunk world, and the scope, complexity, and realism (albeit stylized) of the graphics does give it the edge over R&C in that department IMO. The sense of "being there" is so strong in this game where-as R&C was absolutely more like watching an animated movie.

I recently finished Ratchet & Clank... It was a fun game with clearly very high production values. Graphically it was extremely impressive, and really does feel like playing a Pixar movie with everything being absolutely pristine and consistent. Gameplay wise I certainly started to enjoy it more towards the end as I finally grasped the "RPG lite" weapon upgrades mechanic, but outside of that it was still good fun. I'd give it a 10 for graphics and production values and probably a 7.5 for actual gameplay.

Following that I've finally started Cyberpunk 2077 and man... that is on a totally different level from a gameplay perspective. It's been a while since I played a good RPG to be fair but I'm absolutely absorbed into the world and have probably put more hours into the game in the last 4 days than I put into R&C in the preceding 4 weeks. Graphically it's certainly less consistent and pristine that R&C, but I'm amazed by the art direction and the huge complexity and depth of the world that they've created here. While R&C is like playing a Pixar movie, Cyberpunk is more like being inside a real, living, breathing, cyberpunk world, and the scope, complexity, and realism (albeit stylized) of the graphics does give it the edge over R&C in that department IMO. The sense of "being there" is so strong in this game where-as R&C was absolutely more like watching an animated movie.
This is one of the few games I've payed over 40 years that has left me feeling depressed after completing it. The characterisation and world building are sublime and when it comes to an end the whole experience is just intoxicating, you just don't want ti to end. I am an aphantasiac, so I have zero internal imagery, and I have always been a book fiend but it only with gaming that I have ever had the same experience as most people who read and games like Cyberpunk, and the Witcher, The Invicible, etc just open up a whole new level of experience for me.

Roll on the days of full sensiry avatar based gaming, just put me in a word like NIght City or the Witcher and I'll be happy :D

Back