Warner Exclusive Blu-ray= More PS3 sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me your sample is very unrepresentative! You've asked from 40 XB360 owners whether they'll get a PS3? PS3 will ultimately be selling to non-HD-console-owners and not existing XB360 owners. $400 for an HD player when you already have an HD console is very steep if you're not seriously in the market for HD movies. The strength of BluRay will be an added incentive to choose PS3 over XB360, which will be reflected (if it has impacted) in improved sales. IMO though the improvement of 1080p over DVD is too small, having now seen it myself on a 40" 1080p display. HD will take off when it's cheap enough just because people will replace old gear, but I can't imagine a huge rush of people to buy new expensive gear just to get the HD experience - at least not if they've seen it in action and

All things bring equal, what would be a representative sample, you are talking about someone that would need to follow consoles AND the high definition video market. If one believes the Nielsen poll that a not insignificant portion of the console market even knows what the console they already own does (like play DVDs let alone HD) and a not insignificant portion of HDTV owners wrongly assume they have HD because they figured all they needed was the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both BR and HD-DVD share a problem for next generation consoles (PS4, Xbox3) - if the system memory is increased to 2GB, the data transfer rate won't be able to keep up and we'll be forced to have several minutes of load times. This is unacceptable, even the current 10-20 second load times are far too much.
An integrated HDD drive, or a few GBs of flash memory to install/cache data might help, but I don't think it'd be enough. Consoles should be about simplicity and quickness, and this means that the hardware engineers will have to find a better solution than stuffing in an even larger capacity optical drive.

Can't they just up the spin of the drives ?.

Oops, rather off topic talking about generational changes in storage capacity and the 360, so removed.

Nothing surprising. Indication from Sony about PS3 getting a BD 2.0 upgrade in the future:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=813

Apart from the rumoured non bitstream support on the HDMI chip i think the PS3 can do everything a standalone player will be able to for a long time. The strange(?) thing is that you will have some people asking for feature A, then as soon as A is done, they can´t live without B etc etc. As soon as Profile 1.1 went live there was calls for BD 2.0.

Apart from the rumoured non bitstream support on the HDMI chip i think the PS3 can do everything a standalone player will be able to for a long time. The strange(?) thing is that you will have some people asking for feature A, then as soon as A is done, they can´t live without B etc etc. As soon as Profile 1.1 went live there was calls for BD 2.0.

The only reason I want 2.0 is for the manditory ethernet connection. If I am going to have to firmware upgrade I assume make it easy as possible. Go to the menus select upgrade and let the player go online and do the rest. I have gotten lazy in my old age I like things easy.

If I only needed 1 player the PS3 would be very tempting. But I need 2 players at least to start I will have to wait it out till a 1.1 with ethernet or a 2.0 player gets under 200 dollars.

The only reason I want 2.0 is for the manditory ethernet connection. If I am going to have to firmware upgrade I assume make it easy as possible. Go to the menus select upgrade and let the player go online and do the rest. I have gotten lazy in my old age I like things easy.

If I only needed 1 player the PS3 would be very tempting. But I need 2 players at least to start I will have to wait it out till a 1.1 with ethernet or a 2.0 player gets under 200 dollars.
How is a mandatory ethernet a win for a consumer? It just kills the possibility of a cheaper player without an ethernet jack. Where are choices? Blu-ray software that support internet connection will be released regardless of ethernet-less players since the PS3 is always the majority. In other words, regardless of official profiles, the PS3 spec is the de facto Blu-ray profile.

As for the title of this thread, it won't affect PS3 sales immediately, but on each Blu-ray killer app release they can make a PR campaign with PS3, so more chances in future. They can release catalog titles such as LOTR, Star Wars, Matrix, and new titles that may coincide with a game version such as the Resident Evil series.

How is a mandatory ethernet a win for a consumer? It just kills the possibility of a cheaper player without an ethernet jack. Where are choices? Blu-ray software that support internet connection will be released regardless of ethernet-less players since the PS3 is always the majority. In other words, regardless of official profiles, the PS3 spec is the de facto Blu-ray profile.

Considering most people can't even program a VCR or DVR a simple firmware upgrade path is in their best interest. The average person is not going to hunt around the internet to find an iso burn it to disc. Untill they come out with a bullet proof player that never needs an upgrade the ethernet would not be needed. A few bucks for an ethernet port is well worth it to keep the product from getting a bad rep. The first time the average person had to hunt down an iso and burn it they would not be very unhappy and would let their friends know. The firmware will never be included on the movie since there are to many brands and potental law suits against movie studios if it bricked players. People are not used to doing thing like firmware updates since VCRs and DVD players have been bullet proof for year. The stuff that needs firmware upgrades do it automatically like DVRs.

I work helpdesk I know exactly what the average person knows about computers/electronics.

My too, that's it, people ignorance is impressive worse some are proud of it...

Chances are that the PS3 will be the cheapest 2.0 player when there is 2.0 players released..

The PS3 is the best Video Disc player i have owned why not choose that?

It gets to be a big job later in life. I maintain wireless networks and troubleshoot all technical problems in 4 household right now, all immediate relations.

Nothing surprising. Indication from Sony about PS3 getting a BD 2.0 upgrade in the future:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=813

From the Sony event
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20080107/ces05.htm

ces5_08.jpg

Thanks for the visual confirmation. I was trying to look for a second source.

I just ordered Extinction too :cool:

This is why families have teenage sons. For tech support.

Those are one of the worst offenders. They tinker and tinker until it is broken beyond repair. I have had to clean up so many messes of friends who tried the teen support before me. One actually took the heatsink/fan off and tried to remount it an athlon xp. Wanna guess what happened and who had to fix the mess? The only person worse is adults who think they know about computers arg. They try to tell me my job it is hillarious I spend as much time shooting down their theories and being nice about it as I do fixing the computer. I much prefer the person who knows exactly how much knowledge they have(none) and will wait patiently for me to do my job.

I don't know when you began reading B3D, but as a member from 2004 and lurking looong before that I can with a fair amount of clarity: a significant number of people, both pontificators and informant leakers clearly indicated before MTV unvieling before E3 2005 that the 360 wouldn't have a HiDef optical format.

All the signs pointed to such. 360 technical documents were openly leaked in the Summer of 2004 and it was well known the 360 would launch in 2005. It was also abundantly clear at the time that HD optical was behind schedule and expensive with a lot of issues (codec support, optical and output specs, possible consolidation between the two formats, etc) yet to be resolved.

Exactly. But that's basically what I am saying.

I wasn't on B3D back then, by the way, so I don't know how the discussions went here. Yes, it became clear before the 360 was being launched. But I don't recall talking to many people that had been expecting the 360 to come with a standard DVD drive. That became clear only precisely once the problems with HD DVD progress and then leaked documents came about. (I've been following these things since just after internet began, basically, starting just after the release of the PS1 - during those days I still read magazines a lot more than internet. In fact, I've been following these developments since C64 vs Atari 800XL - at least those two were the main contenders in my country back then, I know in the UK and other countries it was different). In 2004, I'd been anticipating the PS3 and 360 specs included already for at least a year.

Most of the gamers I know didn't know anything about HD-DVD or BluRay before the 360 specs were leaked in 2004, and I don't recall them expecting the 360 to come with anything other than DVD.

CDs lasted consoles from the 8-bit PC Engine in the 80's up to the DC (in modified form) a decade (and 2 or 3 generations) later. Even the GC in 2001 was only using mini-DVDs that stored a fraction of what full DVDs could. Heck, even in late 2004 PC uber-graphic blockbusters like Doom 3 were still shipping on CDs (and only 3 of them)! I don't think there was anything really driving expectation, especially in the days before it was revealed that the 360 was going to use DVD.

If it wasn't for the way BluRay is being pushed in PS3 advertising I think most gamers would still, even today, be oblivious to the fact that DVD space may become an issue. Judging by 360 hardware and software sales, and multiplatform comparisons on sites like Eurogamer, I'd say it's probably not currently troubling many consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back