New PS3 revision will not be able to output HD BD Movies over component

The entertainment industry is so incredibly uckfen paranoid about their god damn precious movies, if they were half as concerned with the quality of the actual product, average review scores would jump 50% easily. Why don't they just sell empty boxes for €30, that way we couldn't possibly pirate their "property"?

Begs the question by the way why the PS3 can't even show games over HDMI without HDCP support. I'm sure there's still people who don't have HDCP support on their DVI-equipped video screens and use component for that reason. Sony sure knows how to make their customers happy...

Statistically, the number of HDTVs sold before HDMI was standard must be pretty tiny compared to the number sold that do feature HDMI ports. And the number of corner cases where someone bought an HDTV in 1999 and is just now buying a PS3 in 2011 must be near insignificance. Hard to get that worked up about this, but it's Sony, so people are sure to raise a stink whether or not they are actually affected.

Statistically, the number of HDTVs sold before HDMI was standard must be pretty tiny compared to the number sold that do feature HDMI ports.

This. I really struggle to see what the problem is here, as the agreement built-in a delay of a number of years to ensure those early adopters of HDTV technology would either already have bought BluRay technology that can output HD over something other than HDMI, or that they would have upgraded their HDTV anyway.

Statistically, the number of HDTVs sold before HDMI was standard must be pretty tiny compared to the number sold that do feature HDMI ports. And the number of corner cases where someone bought an HDTV in 1999 and is just now buying a PS3 in 2011 must be near insignificance. Hard to get that worked up about this, but it's Sony, so people are sure to raise a stink whether or not they are actually affected.

I'm sure there will be a handful of people affected, and we'll hear from them.

It will be interesting to see though if this is just for BluRay content or for games as well. I would expect only BluRay content, but definitely possible that it is both.

It's not hard to find a used PS3 Slim for $200 locally. Anyone who might be impacted can always avail themselves of one of the 50 million PS3s in the wild that WILL support HD over analog.

I'm sure there will be a handful of people affected, and we'll hear from them.

It will be interesting to see though if this is just for BluRay content or for games as well. I would expect only BluRay content, but definitely possible that it is both.

Those affected will be either stupid or deaf.. of course there is a fair chance that those that buy the PS3 will not be informed eventhough did send out that memo :)

Gaming will still be able to be played in HD with component. Only BluRay playback is affected by this.

Sony said:
"The new CECH-3000 series PS3 requires HDMI only for BD movie output in HD, in compliance with AACS standards," Sony told Ars. "PS3 continues to support component output for HD gaming and streaming content."

So why are they supporting this now? Don't they realize that the cat is already out of this particular bag already? Also wasn't the HDCP protocol from Intel also broken?

Gaming will still be able to be played in HD with component. Only BluRay playback is affected by this.

Updated the OP to include this clarification with a link to the source. Maybe a mod could update the thread title as well?

The entertainment industry is so incredibly uckfen paranoid about their god damn precious movies, if they were half as concerned with the quality of the actual product, average review scores would jump 50% easily. Why don't they just sell empty boxes for €30, that way we couldn't possibly pirate their "property"?

Begs the question by the way why the PS3 can't even show games over HDMI without HDCP support. I'm sure there's still people who don't have HDCP support on their DVI-equipped video screens and use component for that reason. Sony sure knows how to make their customers happy...

I agree. It's sad really - it's the reason why I don't buy Bluray movies anymore as it's going down the exact same path as with DVDs. Shoddy quality, no extras, lots of ads. Why buy a Bluray for $30+ in Europe, if you are forced to watch ads and trailers of movies you've already seen a hundred times and can't skip them? You're also lucky if you get a high quality english audio track on it on the German releases. No thanks.

I bet if they actually didn't force ads down our throats after buying an expensive bluray, people would be more inclined to shell out money for more movies. Simply disgusting.

I agree. It's sad really - it's the reason why I don't buy Bluray movies anymore as it's going down the exact same path as with DVDs. Shoddy quality, no extras, lots of ads. Why buy a Bluray for $30+ in Europe, if you are forced to watch ads and trailers of movies you've already seen a hundred times and can't skip them? You're also lucky if you get a high quality english audio track on it on the German releases. No thanks.

I bet if they actually didn't force ads down our throats after buying an expensive bluray, people would be more inclined to shell out money for more movies. Simply disgusting.

I have around 100 blu-rays and it´s really not a problem to such an extent that it annoys me, i actually can´t recall being forced to see adds. This includes Disney movies :)

Buy at amazon.co.uk they have plenty of bargin offers, and all with english audio :)

As for quality.. i read reviews for the movies i am interested in, and it´s rare that the transfer is so bad that it isn´t worth buying. Last movie i skipped was the good, the bad and the ugly. However, once upon a time in america is in the basket :)

Anyway.. what is the alternative?

Turning off one of the "features" of BD makes many of the experiences better; turning off BD Live was the best thing I did on my player. I can't wait until HDMI is replaced to be honest.

I have around 100 blu-rays and it´s really not a problem to such an extent that it annoys me, i actually can´t recall being forced to see adds. This includes Disney movies :)

Buy at amazon.co.uk they have plenty of bargin offers, and all with english audio :)

As for quality.. i read reviews for the movies i am interested in, and it´s rare that the transfer is so bad that it isn´t worth buying. Last movie i skipped was the good, the bad and the ugly. However, once upon a time in america is in the basket :)

It may very well be that it isn't as much of a problem in the US or other english speaking countries. In Europe, or especially in German speaking countries, the problem seems to be that many studios sell their rights to German production companies such as CONCORD or the Tele München Group that bring out these Blurays with loads of ads/trailers and often lacking extras or languages. Sometimes you even have movies with fixed hard coded subtitles in the German (like locations or dates etc).

I would import from the UK or US - but it is sometimes nice to have the 'native' language on the disc as well.

Alternative? XBMC and everything over a network..... :rolleyes:

Sorry for the slight OT....

Why buy a Bluray for $30+ in Europe, if you are forced to watch ads and trailers of movies you've already seen a hundred times and can't skip them? You're also lucky if you get a high quality english audio track on it on the German releases. No thanks.

I have bought loads of Blu-rays for €5-10 and I haven't seen an ad on any of them. Sometimes there are skippable trailers, do you count that as ads?

I have bought loads of Blu-rays for €5-10 and I haven't seen an ad on any of them. Sometimes there are skippable trailers, do you count that as ads?

calling them trailers doesn't make them other than advertisements.

Rip the movies to hdd and strip all the crap away. That's what I do, I get no trailers, no ads, nothing at all, I'm in the movie in 2 seconds every time. A 2tb hdd costs all of $80, and the average size of my 127 movies is 23.4gb. That means you could put around 85 blu-ray movies on a single $80 2tb hdd, an amount far more than most people buy in years anyways. That's no re-encoding as well, it's the movie untouched with all the garbage stripped out. As a bonus you always get the correct audio track as well, unlike when watching regular blu-ray disc which sometimes default to the DD soundtrack meaning anytime you play a disc you have to go to audio setup and pick the HD audio track. All of that nonsense, invconenience and garbage is all gone if you just rip them to hdd and strip all the crap away. I honestly can't imagine ever watching a blu-ray movie from disc again. Even now when I buy a new one I immediately rip it to raid and then the disc goes in a closet, never to be used again unless I want to watch the extras.

Back