New PS3 revision will not be able to output HD BD Movies over component

Rip the movies to hdd and strip all the crap away. That's what I do, I get no trailers, no ads, nothing at all, I'm in the movie in 2 seconds every time. A 2tb hdd costs all of $80, and the average size of my 127 movies is 23.4gb. That means you could put around 85 blu-ray movies on a single $80 2tb hdd, an amount far more than most people buy in years anyways. That's no re-encoding as well, it's the movie untouched with all the garbage stripped out. As a bonus you always get the correct audio track as well, unlike when watching regular blu-ray disc which sometimes default to the DD soundtrack meaning anytime you play a disc you have to go to audio setup and pick the HD audio track. All of that nonsense, invconenience and garbage is all gone if you just rip them to hdd and strip all the crap away. I honestly can't imagine ever watching a blu-ray movie from disc again. Even now when I buy a new one I immediately rip it to raid and then the disc goes in a closet, never to be used again unless I want to watch the extras.

I know your setup and i like it, it may very well be what i do sometime in the future, i should have done it with my 700 dvds....

Rip the movies to hdd and strip all the crap away. That's what I do, I get no trailers, no ads, nothing at all, I'm in the movie in 2 seconds every time.

I'm familiar with ripping DVDs but are Blu-rays the same? Do they get ripped into a video and audio folders? I'm thinking of having a setup like what you suggested. BTW how do you play the ripped movies? You can't use a networked BR player can you?

I'm familiar with ripping DVDs but are Blu-rays the same? Do they get ripped into a video and audio folders? I'm thinking of having a setup like what you suggested. BTW how do you play the ripped movies? You can't use a networked BR player can you?

There's a few different ways you can go; among them keeping the BR folder structure, remuxing to a single Mpeg 2 transport stream or re-muxing into the Matroska container. There are other threads that might be more appropriate for this discussion, though

Rip the movies to hdd and strip all the crap away. That's what I do, I get no trailers, no ads, nothing at all, I'm in the movie in 2 seconds every time. A 2tb hdd costs all of $80, and the average size of my 127 movies is 23.4gb. That means you could put around 85 blu-ray movies on a single $80 2tb hdd, an amount far more than most people buy in years anyways. That's no re-encoding as well, it's the movie untouched with all the garbage stripped out. As a bonus you always get the correct audio track as well, unlike when watching regular blu-ray disc which sometimes default to the DD soundtrack meaning anytime you play a disc you have to go to audio setup and pick the HD audio track. All of that nonsense, invconenience and garbage is all gone if you just rip them to hdd and strip all the crap away. I honestly can't imagine ever watching a blu-ray movie from disc again. Even now when I buy a new one I immediately rip it to raid and then the disc goes in a closet, never to be used again unless I want to watch the extras.

I'm going to overhaul my home network and go with this approach during fall. I'm sick of paying for BR's and then having to sit through a shit load of useless crap before I can watch the movie I paid for. This CE is amazingly retarded and just doesn't get it.

I'll have to spam you for tips when I get my setup going.

I'm sick of paying for BR's and then having to sit through a shit load of useless crap before I can watch the movie I paid for.

I don't even have a BR in my computer yet, still waiting for burnable discs to get cheaper. But yeah, trailers are annoying when they are not optional. That said, fortunately these discs are in the minority at least in my collection, and then it usually only takes a few R1 presses until I can press square to get to the main menu, so it's usually fine.

But I can definitely see charm in having all that on a drive. In our case it is more complicated, as I like to watch movies without subtitles, my wife prefers with English for the hearing impaired, guests usually want Dutch subtitles and when we're watching with our 3yo son we want the Dutch language track when available. Together with not having a BR drive in our PCs just yet and such, that's quite a few things holding us back from a solution like this.

If it was for me personally, I'd definitely be interested in this approach though no question.

I don't even have a BR in my computer yet, still waiting for burnable discs to get cheaper. But yeah, trailers are annoying when they are not optional. That said, fortunately these discs are in the minority at least in my collection, and then it usually only takes a few R1 presses until I can press square to get to the main menu, so it's usually fine.

But I can definitely see charm in having all that on a drive. In our case it is more complicated, as I like to watch movies without subtitles, my wife prefers with English for the hearing impaired, guests usually want Dutch subtitles and when we're watching with our 3yo son we want the Dutch language track when available. Together with not having a BR drive in our PCs just yet and such, that's quite a few things holding us back from a solution like this.

If it was for me personally, I'd definitely be interested in this approach though no question.

There is nothing with jokers setup that would prevent you from keeping the subtitle tracks and audio tracks you want so I'm not sure I understand your issue.

Ripping dvds and blurays is the same if you keep the disc intact (menu's, etc). We have a handful of dvd's that are mostly tv shows like Miami Vice and Friends, so for those it's useful to have the menu hence we left it. When it comes to removing stuff I've only done it on blu-rays. 99% of the time I remove it all, although for blu-ray movie concerts like The Police Certifiable for example I just left the disc intact as it's useful to have menu's there. In all cases I rip to folders, it's a one step process with Anydvdhd.

I don't know about networked bluray players, never actually owned a blu-ray player other than the PS3. I use a PC downstairs with Total Media Theater 5, although there are probably other solutions by now. I've been using TMT for so long that I've just stuck with it. In the bedroom I use a Popcorn Hour C-200. It's actually faster than the PC believe it or not at some stuff.

I'll have to spam you for tips when I get my setup going.

No problem dude just let me know, it's actually really easy. You basically need AnydvdHD which is pay software, BDInfo which is free, and TSMuxer which is free.

In our case it is more complicated, as I like to watch movies without subtitles, my wife prefers with English for the hearing impaired, guests usually want Dutch subtitles and when we're watching with our 3yo son we want the Dutch language track when available.

Subtitles and audio tracks aren't a problem, you keep whatever you want. When you load the ripped bluray into TSMuxer, it shows you the breakdown of what's there, usually one video track, a few audio tracks, and a bunch of subtitle data. 99% of the time I remove all the subtitles, but I left the english subtitles on Godfather 1 and Godfather 2 for example as you need them there in parts of the movie. So in your case leave the Dutch subtitles and remove the rest. Same with audio tracks, pick and choose what you want. I had left both audio tracks on Run Lola Run for example. TSMuxer basically lets you make your own streamlined blu-ray movie, pick what you want and remove the rest.

There's actually a side benefit to ripping discs. When you rip them it copies every byte to your pc, and hence is testing the entire disc. So you won't end up in a situation say where the main movie on the optical disc works fine, then two months later when you go to play the extras you find out that part of the disc is bad. If you rip them you know right away if the entire disc is good or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it really a BR specific problem ? Don't new streaming services require HDCP these days ?

I actually like the trailers since I don't track movie release schedule anymore. Sometimes, my wife picks her NetFlix queue based on the trailers. As far as I can see, these trailers are usually skippable. They should be up to date too since I was told the studios use BD Live to update them.

EDIT:
The change was to comply with a MPAA mandate, which means it will apply to all digital channels soon, if not already.

As long as they keep the restriction to bluray players I won't care. If they extend it to directv receivers then that would suck, as it would kill sling box hd :(

I think HD NetFlix already mandates HDCP even on 360 2-3 years ago. It's a matter of time before everyone gets rid of analog support. It looks like Apple and Sony have moved completely to fully digital output so far. They should use this to bargain for better DRM for consumers.

I could have sworn the PS3 always did this for Blu-rays, or that it was at least implemented a couple of years ago. I've always used HDMI, so it was never an issue either way.

The current and older PS3s can play BR movies in 1080i or lower. The new one won't.

I remember PS3 won't upscale DVD over component too.

Back