Warhawk - Single player dropped

Nope, you could fly anywhere in a level you wanted to. That was a fantastic game at the time. Probably was my favorite PS1 game by far, maybe even more fun than Wipeout. Just hard as hell. :)

Well anywhere between the walls that confine the level you were in If you flew outside that area you hit the barrier and get shot down I "think"...

I'm a sad panda now.

Only positive thing about a MP-only warhawk is "oh well it's better than nothing".

If single playwr sucked it's only because the devs were incompetent. There was nothing about the basic concept that said it was gonna suck in single player. Quite the opposite. Flying games can often be very cool and successful.

Just look at the Wing Commander gmes or X-Wing series or Crimson Skies ofr that matter. That was a game that really truly needed a sequel by thge way..

If land based combat or streaming a full free-roaming world caused problems and delays they should have axed THAT instead and just kept the flying bit within traditional levels. The vids seen from past E3 were incredible and epic. A MP game can NEVER capture that or top it. It's just some random people flying around shooting at you. Meh.

What a letdown.

I feel like if Valve said back in 98 "Half-life SP sucked so now after all our hype we give you Half-Life deathmatch! Wowoo yehaa aren't you all happy now!"

Peace.

I'm a sad panda now.

Only positive thing about a MP-only warhawk is "oh well it's better than nothing".

If single playwr sucked it's only because the devs were incompetent. There was nothing about the basic concept that said it was gonna suck in single player. Quite the opposite. Flying games can often be very cool and successful.

Just look at the Wing Commander gmes or X-Wing series or Crimson Skies ofr that matter. That was a game that really truly needed a sequel by thge way..

If land based combat or streaming a full free-roaming world caused problems and delays they should have axed THAT instead and just kept the flying bit within traditional levels. The vids seen from past E3 were incredible and epic. A MP game can NEVER capture that or top it. It's just some random people flying around shooting at you. Meh.

What a letdown.

I feel like if Valve said back in 98 "Half-life SP sucked so now after all our hype we give you Half-Life deathmatch! Wowoo yehaa aren't you all happy now!"

Peace.

I believe its up to the devs to decide if theyr game is top notch or not. If they thought the single player lacked alot, why would they go out with half finished product

If single playwr sucked it's only because the devs were incompetent.

Now you are taking it too far. There's nothing that shouts incompetent when talking about the makers of warhawk.

I'm quite satisfied with theyr decision, of course I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of single player but if the multiplayer is top notch like everyone says. I'm all for it, see you at the sky people.

The game is shaping up quite well, nice to see multiplayer games on the PS3 is going to be well-represented.
Indifferent2.gif

I just saw the new videos. It looks excellent. Right up my ally.

My only criticism is that mid air collisions should == instant destruction to both parties unless it was more than a scrape. I don't even have a problem with the floating icons in the air for pickups. But when I see planes are bouncing off each other like bumper cars in the air, I am totally taken out of the game.

I think the coolest thing they mentioned is that your friend can be at your house and play split screen online :smile: I was also surprised by 25 maps and certain maps have different vehicles and aircraft.

Maybe it was just too big for a downloadable title. In any case, I certainly hope they don't try to charge full price for this. That would be way lame.

It depends on the quality and amount of gameplay. You do know Battlezone for the 360 exist and was $60? Which is worth more a 8 hour SP game or 40+ hour MP one? Depends on your preference. I'm mostly a SP guy, so I will probably pass.

Interview with Warhawks director Dylan Jobe at 1Up.

We wanted to be -- and you hear this cliche over and over again, but it's true... It's a hits driven business -- quality matters. The bar is set really high. If you're not in the top ten, don't play. That's true. And we wanted have the best of both worlds. Quite honestly, if we were to continue down our single player/multiplayer approach, it would have resulted in not as good single player or not as good multiplayer. Because it's a matter of juggling resources and attention and polish and all of that. It was definitely a painful decision for me. But it's one that I can sleep well with at night because I'm a gamer.
Maybe. But right now, we're really trying to keep our eye on the ball and get multiplayer hyper polished, looking good, and playing great -- really hit that value for the player. All that single player technology -- we have a wicked robust scripting system and AI -- those are all investments, whether it's warhawk stuff in the future or some other title. We really had some cool missions. But again, ultimately, when you put it together, it wasn't going to stand out. So we needed to play to our strengths. In the future, if the executives at Sony want us to do something like that. Certainly we'd be completely open to it. But again, one thing -- and I really want to stress this -- it's not like single player is in the game and we'll unlock it if you pay.
What we ended up doing was -- this is maybe too production related but it's a good example -- we kept some of our core scripters around. And they were top shelf scripters. The Warhawk scripting language is wicked powerful. It's actually so powerful that our scripters had written Warhawk tools with the scripting language. So, for example, the time that they were spending doing single-player missions, they wrote a completely controller-based way of rigging up the multiplayer levels -- setting up spawn points, and capture locations, and pickups, and vehicles. And we were able to iterate with it all within the game. That was something we didn't have a good tool path for doing, but we knew, as a function of our hate sessions -- which is what we call our gameplay sessions -- we needed to be able to more quickly iterate. So that was something where single player resources went right to that. Other stuff that's not as production related, the awards system got beefed out. We also took one of the guys that was working on some single-player code and dedicated him to Voice over IP. There were numerous overlaps where we could redeploy people and get the polish we needed.
1UP: The game seems pretty polished for still having a half year left of development.

DJ: The bar is high. I mean, you've got games like God of War or Gears of War out there. If you can't afford to polish it well, the market is not going to forgive you.

Sony still insisted at GDC that this game will ship on Blu-Ray, not be a download?

So that would seem to put the kibosh on lower than retail pricing for a multiplayer-only title.

Back