Virtua Fighter 5 Site up

So it's a bit refreshing to be able to talk about VF for a change. :)

That it is!!

I only use sticks for fighting games. I have a pair I mantain and have served me for years. I'm sure there will be an adapter that allows use of PS controllers. Possibly wont matte for me. I'm in the process of trying to talk myself out of a PS3.

That it is!!

I only use sticks for fighting games. I have a pair I mantain and have served me for years. I'm sure there will be an adapter that allows use of PS controllers. Possibly wont matte for me. I'm in the process of trying to talk myself out of a PS3.

I already have a PSX/2 -> USB adaptor, so worst case, I can always try that.

For what it's worth, the second VF5 was announced for the PS3, it became a must buy for me.

I'm in the process of trying to talk myself out of a PS3.

Good luck with that!

sega74.jpg

sega70.jpg

Isn't it just too tempting?

I wonder how much the Virtua Stick High Grade is going to cost. According to IGN it is arcade quality grade. If it's under $100USD I will grab one.

I wonder how much the Virtua Stick High Grade is going to cost. According to IGN it is arcade quality grade. If it's under $100USD I will grab one.

That looks like a good stick...and the button layout is even the same as my current stick. Even at $100, I would probably buy this (to think...I paid $8 for my Namco Arcade Stick on eBay).

Juggling is fun if you are the one that are dealing it. Not so much fun on the receiving end though.
ANY beatdown is fun when you're dishing it out... ;) I just find it makes the game look sillier and adds "puzzle-gaming technique" to the fighter, rather than testing one's skill against an opponent on a deeper level.

At the VERY least, they need the ability to cancel out of air-combos and not just teching when you hit the ground.

That's just scratching the surface. There are a lot of characters specific defense and offense to vast to discuss here, and with VF5 they added a couple more evade options as well as some other systems, that will make for an interesting situations in a match. VF5 is an awesome game, provided you're diligent enough to chew it :)

Don't just scratch the surface though, because that doesn't get me anywhere. ;)

In fact, nearly everything mentioned here is in Tekken 5: DR already.

ban25 said:
I don't have Tekken: DR for PSP, but I do have Tekken 5 and I can tell you that both the Quest mode in EVO and the Kumite mode in VF4 are much better than the Arcade mode of T5. The training mode is very thorough and even includes advanced techniques like motion cut, if I remember correctly.

In Tekken 5:DR for the PSP, you have Dojo mode, which is very similar to Quest and Kumite.

It's complicated to explain, but suffice it to say VF's guard/throw-escape system is like a whole game on its own. For defense, you can guard or evade (aka "sidestep") and you can buffer multiple throw escapes during the recovery period after a move or combo (and you can do this while guarding or evading).

Ok, tell me more about the buffering of multiple throw escapes, as they sound like they might work different from Tekken. In Tekken, you can only do escapes, counters and so on during a very specific time interval, and you have to pick the right button(s) to do so. Does this mean that in VF, you can anticipate (multiple?) throws by your opponent in advance and therefore making escaping them effectively easier?

Crayon said:
Hwo's (They still call him Bob?) animations drive me nuts. They are obviously captured by somebody who is highly proficient in point sparring.

That holds for many fighting styles that have active competitions, as a lot of moves have been formalised for point scoring rather than dealing actual damage. That part brings down realism even in real matches. ;)

V3 said:
Its not going to bring comfort to you, in VF5 there are moves that can smash the opponent into a ground during a juggle, making them rebound for even more juggle. Though not guarantee, since the opponent can perform recovery and timing is strict, it still looks ridiculous. It looks like they are fighting on a trampoline

Something which is already Tekken. These games pick up both each other's good and bad habits. Tekken has even evolved this into the point where King has several throws for someone who has rebounced (or just normally juggled), grabbing the opponent in mid air and bringing them fluidly into a throw. (I have to admit though, it does look very cool and is very exciting to pull off)

You guys have seen the videos I posted here, right?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=812878&postcount=38

Check the first half of the 112-176 video, and you will see a range of 'grabbing in mid air' examples, and as a bonus the bouncing from the floor animation is used in the practice mode to illustrate them.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the two series follow each other closely. I already knew this to some extent, but it's been a while since I had the opportunity to go into the game in-depth (last time was Tekken 2/Tekken 3, games for which I created movelists listing not just every move, but every possible sequence of moves).

I think this is a good discussion, let's keep it up. ;)

I also didn't get round to mentioning that one of the reasons I associated Tekken more with the GT of fighting games, was because in Tekken nearly all the regular moves are taken from real life fighting styles. They can be clearly recognised and named by people who practice the style, as I've repeatedly been able to confirm. Even outside of the ring, I liked how in Tekken Tag Hwoarang performs the 8th movement in one of the start-screen animations, for instance, or at least, that's what a Master in Tae Kwondo told me. The moves in the game are all beautifully and correctly captured, as far as I can tell.

I ve been practicing Tae Kwon Do for years. Its true that some moves are real. But there are also lots that aren't as well. Many of these are impossible to perform or some are only performable to show off ability but not in a fight. In other words they are used only in demonstrations and exhibitions. They are too weak and non-practical

There are lots of moves in Tekken that arent real. Most of these just follow the look of the fighting style.

I believe VF is more faithful to reality when it comes to moves and the techniques used.

Lei Fei the Shaolin Monk in VF for example I quarantee he is almost identical to the real thing. I ve read books on Shaolin Kung Fu and practiced a bit for a few days with a master and I was amazed. Its harder for me to make out moves that arent real in VF than in Tekken.

I like how you have to pull back or forth in VF playing with the opponents weight, finding the opportunity to exploit the chance if his attack misses you (thats exactly how we fight in Tae Kwon Do matches too).

Unfortunately because in Tekken you cant guard at any moment, if you try the same thing for example by pulling back (tap twice backwards) your character cant guard for a few miliseconds. So since many moves in Tekken have of range you will get hit and lose lots of health despite that there is a distance between you and him

Where Tekken excels is the button figuration. One for each limb

Last edited by a moderator:
I ve been practicing Tae Kwon Do for years. Its true that some moves are real. But there are also lots that aren't as well. Many of these are impossible to perform or some are only performable to show off ability but not in a fight. In other words they are used only in demonstrations and exhibitions. They are too weak and non-practical

There are lots of moves in Tekken that arent real. Most of these just follow the look of the fighting style.
Same here. One of the reasons why I like playing with Hwoarang (and tekken in general) is because I have a black belt.
When you look at the competition side of taekwondo, it's about scoring points and speed, not dealing damage. That's why a basic kick like pico chagi is the most important.

Many Hwoarang moves are unrealistic and impossible, they just copy and paste different captured kicks (like they do in bad martial arts hollywood movies) to create artificial combo's.

Let's move away from the strict Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter discussion here an dbring another fighting game into the mix. What does everyone feel about Dead or Alive compared to Virtua Fighter?

I do enjoy the Dead or Alive series quite a bit, moreso than Tekken.

Virtua Fighter is without a doubt my favorite, and it really helps to have a solid community of players in yor area so you can truly learn the game and a specific character of your choosing. My favorite character to play is Kage and will use him 50% of the time. I've used him ever since VF1 and have never looked back. Other favorites are Sarah, Akira, Jacky, Pai, and Shun. I'm only now getting back into Akira after not having played him in VF3 and the majority of time playing VF4.

I might try to get my hands on a VF5 arcade machine so I can learn it better.

What does everyone feel about Dead or Alive compared to Virtua Fighter?

It's fun to goof around with but as soon as anyone gets too serious about iit it's a busted up mess. There's just not enough effort put into the systems themselves, and the general gameplay balance. The game is tuned explicitly to flatter low level play with prro results. BTW, I heard that DOA4 doesn't run at 60 fps. Is that true?

Unfortunately because in Tekken you cant guard at any moment, if you try the same thing for example by pulling back (tap twice backwards) your character cant guard for a few miliseconds. So since many moves in Tekken have of range you will get hit and lose lots of health despite that there is a distance between you and him

You can't guard at any moment in VF either. Tekken lost the ability to guard out of a back dash in Tekken 3 to alleiviate the turtling seen in Tekken 2.

The "limb" button configuration doesn't really add up to much. You use different comands to get moves with different properties. Those properties have nothing to do with what limb animates them. The connection is arbitrary. If anything, VF's button layout is superior because you can always have all three buttons covered with the thumb, index finger and middle fingler. In addition, the dynamic uses of the guard button give VF an edge in control.

Don't just scratch the surface though, because that doesn't get me anywhere. ;)

In fact, nearly everything mentioned here is in Tekken 5: DR already.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the two series follow each other closely. I already knew this to some extent, but it's been a while since I had the opportunity to go into the game in-depth (last time was Tekken 2/Tekken 3, games for which I created movelists listing not just every move, but every possible sequence of moves).

I think this is a good discussion, let's keep it up. ;)

I said waaaayyyy back there that these games are basicly the same thing. The basic "rules" are the same. The only thing I can say that VF "has" taht Tekken "doesn't" is some very robust defensive systems. Even then I'm hesitant to say because they are really just different.

What I can say that VF does more is cater to a higher level of play. There are crazy good Tekken players but at that level you start getting things like coarse tiering and wave dashing. In VF a mid level player can take the same character and techniques they are currently using and use those all the way to the top.

The difference is not made by what systems are present, but the implementation of those systems. DOA throws every system out there into the game with little effort to properly implement them. That's why it falls apart so easily. Every system (that I can think of) in VF is implemented in a way that is tailored very well for it's intended use. It's this attention to detail that makes the game subtle and balanced. The rules are no different than Tekken and you are seeing that as we go along. But you'll find alot of good Tekken players get done with Tekken and move on to Virtua Fighter. ..

Important: Not because VF is more complex than Tekken. Because VF provides more consistancy and variety for highly skilled players.

You don't have to give me the Tekken updates, btw. :p I have played huge, huge amounts of Virtua Fighter. But I have played ungodly amounts of Tekken. Probably 5 times as much. And I have played positivly shameful amounts of Street Fighter....

Actually, I would say the opposite. The lack of a guard button is probably Tekken's biggest weakness, and the control scheme is one of the most profound differences between the two games. VF also has closed stance and open stance, which you have to be aware of, in terms of which foot is facing foward.

What I can say that VF does more is cater to a higher level of play. There are crazy good Tekken players but at that level you start getting things like coarse tiering and wave dashing. In VF a mid level player can take the same character and techniques they are currently using and use those all the way to the top.

I think a large part of this is a result of the focus on tournament level play in VF. The game is really tuned for high-end play, whereas Tekken is more about getting a group of friends together and playing a few matches. Maybe this is because Tekken has spent more time on very popular consoles and developed a broader following, but one thing I've noticed (and I'm glad you pointed it out) is that most good/great Tekken players move to VF. A lot of the better VF players I've fought against used to play Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag. Of course, others have been following the series since the original.

Same here. One of the reasons why I like playing with Hwoarang (and tekken in general) is because I have a black belt.
When you look at the competition side of taekwondo, it's about scoring points and speed, not dealing damage. That's why a basic kick like pico chagi is the most important.

And therefore it is fine if a match ends up consisting only of a few very basic moves, that's faithful to reality, after all. The rest of the moves are for when the differences between two fighters are big, or when the two fighters are of less than top level (which they would typically be).

Many Hwoarang moves are unrealistic and impossible, they just copy and paste different captured kicks (like they do in bad martial arts hollywood movies) to create artificial combo's.

To an extent, yes, but they don't go overboard with that either, imho. They've even taken some of the most exaggerated ones out. At the same time, the whole 'movie' thing is also partly done on purpose - Lei Wulang's moves are taken from various Jacky Chan movies, and Law's moves from Bruce Lee movies.

Nevertheless, the basic moves of the fighters seem pretty ok. But I understand what you mean. At the same time though, for some reason the execution of the moves in VF looks awkwardly animated. I don't really know why. I'll look at it some more.

You can't guard at any moment in VF either. Tekken lost the ability to guard out of a back dash in Tekken 3 to alleiviate the turtling seen in Tekken 2.

It makes sense, too. If I press back twice, I make a big step backwards. If during that movement I get hit, it will be much harder to defend - I can't change direction, I'm more likely to keep my balance for sudden movements, and I don't have grounding to fend off or change the direction of the attack either.

The "limb" button configuration doesn't really add up to much. You use different comands to get moves with different properties. Those properties have nothing to do with what limb animates them. The connection is arbitrary.

I disagree with that totally. Your mind has gone totally abstract here, connecting moves with properties, rather than with the limbs. Just pick any character from Tekken, and we can look at the list of moves, starting from the basic ones and going to the more exotic ones, and you will see that the vast majority has a strong link between the button configuration and the actual move performed.

In fact, this is definitely part of the reason why Tekken is perceived to be more 'easy access'. It makes a primitive connection with people, even when they are not aware of it. And it's very, very easy to explain it to people.

If anything, VF's button layout is superior because you can always have all three buttons covered with the thumb, index finger and middle fingler. In addition, the dynamic uses of the guard button give VF an edge in control.

Now, in terms of purely abstract gameplay, I can see that this system might be superior, but it does not logically connect to things people already know, it is not intuitive. However, I can see that it might connect to the skill you need to get well at playing VF. You have to think about the target of your attack, the weight of your attack, and the speed of your attack.

I said waaaayyyy back there that these games are basicly the same thing. The basic "rules" are the same. The only thing I can say that VF "has" taht Tekken "doesn't" is some very robust defensive systems. Even then I'm hesitant to say because they are really just different.

Gotcha.

Understood, again. I would like to see top matches of both games, as they should expose part of this very effectively.

Important: Not because VF is more complex than Tekken. Because VF provides more consistancy and variety for highly skilled players.

Ok, I'm starting to get it and I can see it. For me, racing games are the only thing I've played at such a high level, lots of international GT4 LAN parties in Europe, mostly. And it is always interesting to see what kind of aspects of a game draws in the hardcore. Which is part of my reason to learn about VF. This is also how I learnt about DDR games, moving from the fun, 8-way Dance UK (which is great in principle, but has too limited skill levels), to Dancing Stage, to a Japanese import of DDR Extreme 8th Edition.

You don't have to give me the Tekken updates, btw. :p I have played huge, huge amounts of Virtua Fighter. But I have played ungodly amounts of Tekken. Probably 5 times as much. And I have played positivly shameful amounts of Street Fighter....

Understood - but I've only posted them when I know that Dark Ressurection PSP offered features we were discussing not present in earlier versions.

The "limb" button configuration doesn't really add up to much. You use different comands to get moves with different properties. Those properties have nothing to do with what limb animates them. The connection is arbitrary. If anything, VF's button layout is superior because you can always have all three buttons covered with the thumb, index finger and middle fingler. In addition, the dynamic uses of the guard button give VF an edge in control.

Well I didnt mean that you can guard in VF at any moment. I was more pointing out to the guard being used to cancel out a move or string to replace it with another move or being able to guard directly after you backdash. You cant do any of these in Tekken. Thats why a simple mistake may proove kmore often fatal in Tekken.

I agree with most of your points in the configuration. But I think the 4 limb configuration does add up. You can make definitions in each character's limbs according to their moves. For example the front limb can be faster or weaker. It also helps in memorizing and connecting moves, like Howarang (use of punches and kicks to combine flamengo and changing stances for faster and more confusing attacks), or Steve (left hand faster. right hand stronger)

Let's move away from the strict Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter discussion here an dbring another fighting game into the mix. What does everyone feel about Dead or Alive compared to Virtua Fighter?
Very "meh" for me; it feels like "baby's first fighting game." 60% "shiney-shine", 50% "hot anime chicks", and a few leftover percent in actual game design. :p (I don't know how that adds up either.)

I find it is indeed easier to get my "don't play that kind of fighting game as much" friends into DoA than it is Tekken or VF, but it's even easier to get them into Soul Calibur, and at least THAT one has more reward at the end! ^_^

I haven't played a lot of DoA, but it always felt like I was picking up--say--Bloody Roar. An enjoyable tussle, but quickly gets tiresome and doesn't feel like there's anywhere worthwhile to go.

Of course every once in a while you really WANT to see hot chicks going at it, so... :D

I disagree with that totally. Your mind has gone totally abstract here, connecting moves with properties, rather than with the limbs. Just pick any character from Tekken, and we can look at the list of moves, starting from the basic ones and going to the more exotic ones, and you will see that the vast majority has a strong link between the button configuration and the actual move performed.

In fact, this is definitely part of the reason why Tekken is perceived to be more 'easy access'. It makes a primitive connection with people, even when they are not aware of it. And it's very, very easy to explain it to people.

Now, in terms of purely abstract gameplay, I can see that this system might be superior, but it does not logically connect to things people already know, it is not intuitive. However, I can see that it might connect to the skill you need to get well at playing VF. You have to think about the target of your attack, the weight of your attack, and the speed of your attack.

No. To a point, parts of this are up to personal preference as to what's more "intuitive," but the button configuration in Tekken is simply bad.

1. It's inconsistent. In VF, a high throw is P+G, P punches, K kicks. Always. In Tekken, the same button combination can be a strike, a throw, a counter, or a stance/movement. Nothing is certain. f,F+2 for Heihachi is a punch, which makes intuitive sense; f,F+2 for Hwoarang is a throw, which doesn't. That's hardly easy to explain.
2. It's limited. Almost no characters can switch foot stance naturally in Tekken because if they did, their commands would flip buttons from moment to moment. The lack of a guard button for easy cancels, clears, movements, buffers, and orienting is painful.
3. It's unintuitive. Tekken uses the joystick in-string rarely, leaving you with only the buttons to try to glean information on the string.

— 1,2,3: Okay, that's probably a left punch followed by a right punch and a left kick. So what? What hit level is the kick at? Is there some difference between a left kick and a right kick that means something here?
— 1,2,4: How is this going to differ from the previous string? What hit-level? If I'm just starting out, I'd probably expect this to be valid, since I can supposedly control my character's individual limbs at will. But what if it's not?
— 1+4,2,4: What the hell is this?
— 3,2,4,3,1+4,2,2,1,2: Or this?

Contrast that with VF-style strings.
— P,P,K: Punch, punch, kick. I don't care which limb is doing what, since it doesn't matter at all.
— P,P,d+K: What hit-level do you think the last kick here is?
— P,P,f+K: How about this one?

VF-style strings and movelists give you much more valid and less totally useless information. Instead of spamming random limbs in strings to try to find one that hits at the level I want, I can make a reasonable, INTUITIVE guess using a combination of the joystick with the buttons. Instead of memorizing long, branchy lists of button presses with no apparent connection between them, I can use the logical structure of the string as a mnemonic.

No. To a point, parts of this are up to personal preference as to what's more "intuitive," but the button configuration in Tekken is simply bad.

1. It's inconsistent. In VF, a high throw is P+G, P punches, K kicks. Always. In Tekken, the same button combination can be a strike, a throw, a counter, or a stance/movement. Nothing is certain. f,F+2 for Heihachi is a punch, which makes intuitive sense; f,F+2 for Hwoarang is a throw, which doesn't. That's hardly easy to explain.
2. It's limited. Almost no characters can switch foot stance naturally in Tekken because if they did, their commands would flip buttons from moment to moment. The lack of a guard button for easy cancels, clears, movements, buffers, and orienting is painful.
3. It's unintuitive. Tekken uses the joystick in-string rarely, leaving you with only the buttons to try to glean information on the string.

— 1,2,3: Okay, that's probably a left punch followed by a right punch and a left kick. So what? What hit level is the kick at? Is there some difference between a left kick and a right kick that means something here?
— 1,2,4: How is this going to differ from the previous string? What hit-level? If I'm just starting out, I'd probably expect this to be valid, since I can supposedly control my character's individual limbs at will. But what if it's not?

— P,P,K: Punch, punch, kick. I don't care which limb is doing what, since it doesn't matter at all.

VF-style strings and movelists give you much more valid and less totally useless information. Instead of spamming random limbs in strings to try to find one that hits at the level I want, I can make a reasonable, INTUITIVE guess using a combination of the joystick with the buttons. Instead of memorizing long, branchy lists of button presses with no apparent connection between them, I can use the logical structure of the string as a mnemonic.

I think you are making too much fuss out of something that isnt really a problem. You are only expecting Tekken to play just like VF :???:

In Tekken, the same button combination can be a strike, a throw, a counter, or a stance/movement. Nothing is certain. f,F+2 for Heihachi is a punch, which makes intuitive sense; f,F+2 for Hwoarang is a throw, which doesn't. That's hardly easy to explain.

I did actually say most moves, but still, this is a bit of a weak example and easy to explain. f,F+1+2 is a two arm strike already. Normally, 1+2 would have been a good choice because this throw involves the arms only, compare to say, 2+3 being a throw that involves a throw with a right kick, 1+4 being a throw involving a left kick, etc. But obviously, 1+2 is also used for a quick, powerful forward double strike. This is also fully in line with the way f,F (or f,f,) is normally used.

2. It's limited. Almost no characters can switch foot stance naturally in Tekken because if they did, their commands would flip buttons from moment to moment.

Actually, more and more can. You'd be surprised ... But this has nothing to do with that the command would flip at all. Just in your VF mind ;) For you, it changes completely because now the 'other' button is a short jab. But in our mind, the 1 button is still the left arm, but because our stance has changed, it's now the one we would use for a strike rather than a jab.

The lack of a guard button for easy cancels, clears, movements, buffers, and orienting is painful.

Actually, because we use 4 buttons and none for guarding (other than the back or back-down auto-guard, and of course the active fence guard and take-overs), we don't need to cancel a whole lot. Buttons and move match one-to-one nearly always and so buffering and canceling isn't nearly as much an issue. How orienting is a factor in this I don't get at all.

It's unintuitive. Tekken uses the joystick in-string rarely, leaving you with only the buttons to try to glean information on the string.

That's nonsense. The directional buttons are nearly always completely coherent with the button actions.

The level of the kick is modified by the directional button. The difference between a left kick and a right kick for us is stance dependent and means exactly what it means to a fighter depending on which leg is standing forward.

Same answer, different leg. Though I have to say, that it feels that characters are sometimes for balancing reasons a little bit awkwardly limited in their ability to follow different moves. For instance, Fei can't smoothly follow a 1,2 with a kick at all, and others do have a smoothly following kick but you can't modify their target area.

A throw involving a left foot kick, a punch with the right hand, and a kick iwth the left foot. Again, this sequence can't be comboed for all characters though, and not all characters have a throw on 1+4 (though many do).

Again, this would do exactly what you'd expect, re the above. And since you never indicate directional/joystick input, I must assume you have a very limited understanding of how Tekken works.

Not to you. But with this, I can't tell what will happen in VF, other than that I will have something involving two punches and one kick. In Tekken, I would have known exactly what would happen: 1,1 = two jabs, 1,2 = quick one-two (left,right), 2,2 = two punches, and it would all make sense no matter what my stance is, because I can easily see which leg is forward and so which arm is going to give me the jab.

Low, which would be the exact same in Tekken, except that in Tekken I'd know if it were a quick or a slow low kick.

Middle, but again, I would also know with which leg, and therefore have a clue as to its impact speed.

Instead of memorizing long, branchy lists of button presses with no apparent connection between them, I can use the logical structure of the string as a mnemonic.

Based on the above, I'd say quite the reverse. There's a lot more to be remembered in VF, which is part of the reason why it is less accessible than Tekken.

Back