Virtua Fighter 5 Site up

Tekken's a great game and I've owned every entry in the series since the first (with the exception of the PSP game, which I have not yet bought). However, as far as Tekken 5 has come, VF remains the deeper game with much better high-level play that will hold your interest for far longer. To be honest, I've never really seen any debate on this issue because it's obvious to anyone who plays both series, and as I mentioned earlier, a lot of VF players I know (including myself) started out with Tekken.

In my oppinion both games are vastly different when you look at things in a much deeper light but such differences IMO are really only strengths to the style, depth and character of each title and are in NO WAY advantages/disadvantages to be used to compare with other quality fighting games in the way they have been compared here..

(P.S. Maybe it's just Goh and Akira, or maybe that's just what happens when you get to "mid-level" and only lasts for a bit, but that was some DAMN boring fighting going on! o_O )

It was actually a pretty good fight. If it looked boring that was becasue it was intermediate players with Goh and Akira, you are correct on 2 out of 3. =) The players had a solid game, but both using advanced characters they where having trouble setting up for the big damage. I saw a few ok attempts, but they where snubbed on both counts.

In case you're wondering, Goh is a Judoka. Played well he usually does alot of damage with throws. And I think the capturing of his throws is some of the finest animation in all of fighting games. Without seizing and creating throw opportunites, all he has left is an okay, but limited selection of strikes. Akira has a deliberatly sparse moveset. He does some crazy martial art that I would never want to be assaulted with. I've personally never seen a real-world demo, that's for sure. A good Akira player would have basicly done what you saw up there, except he'd be taking advantage of minor counter openings to sudenly (like 3 strikes in 1 second) do massive damage.

Personally I really don't see what all the fuss is about regarding both these games.. I thing they both have vast merits but offer very different play mechanics (favouring VF to be the more technical of the two IMO)..

I think if some posters ;) didn't address themselves as "we" all the time this would be going somewhere.

I'm sticking to my position, the games are the same. The core rules are teh same. And I don't mean in terms of (knock the other guy out!). I mean when you first learn about how to play these games and try to get in depth, you would be learning and practicing 90% the same stuff for a looong time. Tekken or VF.

All the differences in the systems are minor. VF systems for the most part are a little more balanced out, and in some cases (specifically throwing and general defense) have a little more meat on the bones.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there is a difference in perception of game mechanics going on here that is causing alot of miscommunication.

What he's talking about is cancelling out of a string, so instead of doing PPPK you can do something like PPGP. But VF also has moves that you can 'pull' or fake, and that's the guard cancel I referred to above. All characters have several moves that can be guard cancelled -- off the top of my head, Aoi has a few (a sweep that can be cancelled) and so does Jacky. Sarah has several kicks that actually guard cancel into her flamingo stance, which is really useful to keep the other player guessing.

Correct, except that what isdn6 in this particular case was talking about it slightly different. There's a "flinch" that you can perform with most characters.

BTW, isdn6, it never occured to me to use it that way! (force major evade). I'm going to try that.

^^^
Ooh here's a good example of some miscomunication that could happen. To some, that line may suggest that I want to feint or "fake someone out" and make them evade. That's not it at all.

Arwin -
You asked me to explain where VF is different than Tekken and I gladly got all into it. I was met with disagreement telling me "Tekken has all that stuff too." And trust me a whoooooollle lot of that disagreement is coming from the miscomunication I described above.

I feel I need to clarify here: Yes, Tekken does indeed have all that stuff. But the slight differences in the way that stuff is implemented is what makes the difference in the games. Which I don't percieve (again..) as a very big difference at all. Trust me, I know both game intimatly. If it sounds like some of us are skewing Virtua Fighter is a more deep and balanced game, that's because it is. At least it is generally considered so by people who play a whole big huge shitload of fighting games and get very good at several of them.

I expect standardization. I expect to be able to see a command and to have a reasonable guess as to what class of move it is. I expect new players to pick up on these simple, universal rules and not be surprised as they experiment.
As I said earlier you are expecting Tekken to be like VF and thats a mistake. Dont expect standardization. Each character in Tekken feels and works different. Its not an issue at all.

I can guess easily how most moves work just by watching the CPU using them. Its not hard to experiment. If your claim was the case, VF would have been easier to learn and use the moves but its the exact opposite.

It's a limitation, so it went on the list. The hurdles for a side-favoring character in VF are much smaller than those for a side-switching character in Tekken. Whether Tekken needs it is irrelevant.
Explain me better why this is a limitation when the only reason Tekken is like that is because its different. One of the reasons I prefer both is because they are different and each has a logic behind it absent from the other. So both have their limitations because of this.

In VF you have to capture a complete idea of the technique and flow of real life martial arts fighting. But you cant make out an actual distinction between each limb's attributes.
In Tekken you have to capture the idea of back and forth limbs which is a real life martial arts logic as well. Forth limbs work differently from back. That its something people who have practiced martial arts and especially Tae Kwon Do are familiar with. But because of this Tekken doesnt have VF's flow. Not trying to say that its impossible to be adressed though.

The 10-string was a farcical example. I didn't anticipate that Arwin would have no idea what it was, or that you would latch onto it more than me.
Directional input is used more in branching strings in VF. This is a necessity of the halved attack buttons, yes, but it is also more helpful to have the hit-level of each branch essentially laid out for you instead of having to remember which limb is capable of hitting where. Tekken has more raw, rote memorization, which again is not helped by the unstandardized movelists.
I already explained the difference above. They work differently.

Its not my fault if you brought up te strings as an arguement and made it sound like a big deal.
Remembering which limb is each is no problem at all because it comes naturally when you get familiar with the game. And as I said earlier unstandardized movelist is not an issue at all. I just know where does a move hit. Without any effort or raw memorization. You become one with each character's fighting style and thus you know him automatically which limb, how, where and when each move hits. The reason is simple. Tekken's fighting styles are controllerd completely diferent and use a completely different scheme and logic. Something that I welcome a lot in Tekken.

You find these problematic because you got more familiar with VF's flow

Again you are expecting needlessly for Tekken to be like VF. If I were you I would have mentioned other problems about Tekken but Crayon already mentioned these which were more logical.
How about this. Why don't you tell me the advantages of one-limb-per-button input. I can think of some examples, but that's not my job.
That has been already adressed above as well. And its not my job either

Last edited by a moderator:
It was actually a pretty good fight. If it looked boring that was becasue it was intermediate players with Goh and Akira, you are correct on 2 out of 3. =) The players had a solid game, but both using advanced characters they where having trouble setting up for the big damage. I saw a few ok attempts, but they where snubbed on both counts.
Just reminded me of my Charlotte vs. Charlotte fights from the original Samurai Showdown, where 90% of the fight was light and medium thrusts, because we knew the first one to jump would get nailed by the others' Power Gradation. :p

He does some crazy martial art that I would never want to be assaulted with. I've personally never seen a real-world demo, that's for sure. A good Akira player would have basicly done what you saw up there, except he'd be taking advantage of minor counter openings to sudenly (like 3 strikes in 1 second) do massive damage.

If I recall correctly, he uses Pine Forest Karate. I had a teacher once who practiced the same style -- he did a block once as a demonstration and I immediately thought 'Oh my god, Akira!'

If I recall correctly, he uses Pine Forest Karate. I had a teacher once who practiced the same style -- he did a block once as a demonstration and I immediately thought 'Oh my god, Akira!'

I'd really like to see some of that in action. Specifically the infamous "back check" I love that move. What I love even more is taht Aoi can actually reverse it, and the animation is a trip.

Hey I rememebred this old faq! This helped me alot when I first started playing VF after playing gobs of Tekken.

Virtua Fighter Starting Guide for those with Tekken Experience

Perfect, huh? Can't believe I didn't think of this before.

I'd really like to see some of that in action. Specifically the infamous "back check" I love that move. What I love even more is taht Aoi can actually reverse it, and the animation is a trip.
There's a ton of katas, but I don't have time to see if what you're looking for is in there somewhere. ;)

Wikipedia sees all, knows all!

Akira Yuki is a fictional character in the Sega video game series Virtua Fighter. His fighting style is based on Bajiquan, a Chinese martial art.

I thought have thought to check there too, but questions were simply asked about a particular style... ;)

...and now that I know Xiaoyu is in there too, I'm a much bigger fan! Hehe. :love: Xiaoyu. :D

I wonder what Lili practices... Seemingly it's some form of "Ai Kikyu Ras." :p

Strange...Aren't Pai Chan's and Xiaoyu's fighting style almost identical, yet they are supposedly different?

The reason I liked Xiaoyu in Tekken was because she reminded me so much of Pai Chan (maybe I'm just forgetting the names -- haven't played VF4 in several months, sadly).

Strange...Aren't Pai Chan's and Xiaoyu's fighting style almost identical, yet they are supposedly different?

The reason I liked Xiaoyu in Tekken was because she reminded me so much of Pai Chan (maybe I'm just forgetting the names -- haven't played VF4 in several months, sadly).

Pai Chan's style is Mizong-quan (Ensei-ken).

Xiaoyu's style is a mixed but mainly between Bagua-zhang (Hakke-sho) and Pigua-quan (Hika-Ken).

So Xiaoyu's style is more similar too DoA Helena than to Pai. Helena's style is mainly Pigua-quan.

Wikipedia sees all, knows all!

I thought have thought to check there too, but questions were simply asked about a particular style... ;)

...and now that I know Xiaoyu is in there too, I'm a much bigger fan! Hehe. :love: Xiaoyu. :D

I wonder what Lili practices... Seemingly it's some form of "Ai Kikyu Ras." :p

Sorry to disappoint you, Xiaoyu style isn't Baji, from Tekken the character with Baji style is Julia, not Xiaoyu. That Wiki is wrong.

Baji was developed by Chinese Muslim. Origin is unknown, though most would guess, that it originated from Arabs than Chinese. Chinese Muslim may have developed it but its philosophy is quite different from other Chinese at the time.

On that note, the first VF showing has an Arab looking character (also appear in Fighter Megamix) that was later replaced by Akira. I think Yu Suzuki did his research, must be pressure that change that character into a Ryu looking clone :)

Sorry to disappoint you, Xiaoyu style isn't Baji, from Tekken the character with Baji style is Julia, not Xiaoyu. That Wiki is wrong.
Uh... Julia's always seemed about 100x more leg-based than anything I've seen from it so far.

At any rate, both Julia and Xiaoyu are supposed to use an amalgam of a number of martial arts (Chinese or otherwise)--only in Xiaoyu's case, they mentioned Baji among them. (I assumed because someone or another noticed a few moves that lined up.) Hakke Ken and Hike Ken are among the only "official" styles named. (Whatever they may be.)

Official comments from Namco seem to only mention http://[URL="http://[B" Xing Yi in connection to Julia, while Michelle got "Kempo + various." But considering how much holdover there is from Michelle to Julia...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back