Virtua Fighter 5 Site up

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :devilish:

Well that sucks, I was really looking forward to some form of online from this game. This is almost a deal breaker for me. You can only play against the CPU for so long. A real shame.

The best thing to do is find some friends to play with and/or go to a few tournaments or lan parties.

The best thing to do is find some friends to play with and/or go to a few tournaments or lan parties.

Both of those things are not happening for me. My friends barely know how to play which means it's more fun to play against the CPU. Tournaments for anything other than Winning Eleven are not existant in my country unfortunately. So I guess I'm screwed.

I wonder if its possible for fighting game companies to set up like a virtual arcade whereby they have dedicated servers (eliminating latency/lag?) and charge you maybe $0.25 per play on your Sony PSN account or something like that.

Isnt DOA4 online?

Yes (or at least DOAU is, that's the last one I played), but DOA is not VF, which I specifically mentioned in my post. The gameplay is based around specific frame timings for moves executed at a locked 60 fps. You can't replicate that by adding 100s of miliseconds of network latency. It's the same reason you won't find a game like Guitar Hero with online play.

Yes (or at least DOAU is, that's the last one I played), but DOA is not VF, which I specifically mentioned in my post. The gameplay is based around specific frame timings for moves executed at a locked 60 fps. You can't replicate that by adding 100s of miliseconds of network latency. It's the same reason you won't find a game like Guitar Hero with online play.
But I think it was also done with a 2D game on XBOX. Capcom vs SNK2 I think? And thats ALL about timing and its faster. So even as such it should be implemented. People will prefer it that way than not having it at all.

I believe SEGA isnt doing so they wouldnt hurt their arcade business

I believe SEGA isnt doing so they wouldnt hurt their arcade business

But it'll probably end up hurting their console business. Besides are arcades even popular in the US anymore? I know they still are in Japan, so maybe they could pull a Motorstorm and release a Japanese version without online and an American with. I'm sure the no online thing will put a lot of people off, in my case in particular this game went from "Must buy console to play this game" to "I'll probably get it when another must buy console to play this game comes along."

:oops: Network Latency? so where does the problem lie? developers or sony's online network? :eek:

Neither. The fault lies with the laws of physics and current network infrastructure standards.
There is nothing Sony or Sega can do about it. Especially in the US.

In Japan I can see some potential for an online console fighting games. 100MB fiber internet connections is practically the standard these days. And due to the small size of Japan, locality is a lot better so latency is less of an issue. But hardcore fighters will stick to the arcades.

I wonder if its possible for fighting game companies to set up like a virtual arcade whereby they have dedicated servers (eliminating latency/lag?) and charge you maybe $0.25 per play on your Sony PSN account or something like that.

You cannot eliminate latency/lag just by setting up dedicated servers. In fact for a 1vs1 fighting game a dedicated server model would add MORE latency not decrease it.

Peer 2 Peer
80 ms round trip
Player1
|
40ms one way
|
Player2

Dedicated Server
160ms round trip.

Player1
|
40ms
|
Server
|
40ms
|
Player2

Of course if you are having a 16+ player multiplayer FPS game, a dedicated server is a great idea. But people don't see to realize anymore how much prediction and guessing is going on when playing online FPS games. There is so much of the latency they are hiding from you.

In a fighting game where you are mashing in combos at several buttons a second and your opponent is trying to counter those combos, you need much lower latency than what is considered "playable" in other types of games.

In a fighting game where you are mashing in combos at several buttons a second and your opponent is trying to counter those combos, you need much lower latency than what is considered "playable" in other types of games.

I see your point. But how come it has been done in some fighting games? Probably it doesn't work fantastically, but at least it's better than nothing. I'm sure most players aren't advanced enough to really notice/care some frames of lag. The rest will probably stick to the arcades anyway.

February? This early already?

Good grief, I hate SCEI, first the price of the PS3, thanks to the Blu Ray drive, and then the delayed European launch, thanks to the blue diode supply problems.

Damn you, Blu Ray, stupid movie format messing with my gaming! :devilish:

I was also about to address the online latency questions, but it seems that others answered already.
Playing VF online with the current infrastructure would be more frustating than fun, unless Sega come up with an incredible netcode and that the online version of the game engine realies on a slower gameplay, that is.

I see your point. But how come it has been done in some fighting games? Probably it doesn't work fantastically, but at least it's better than nothing. I'm sure most players aren't advanced enough to really notice/care some frames of lag. The rest will probably stick to the arcades anyway.

Has it been done GOOD in any other fighting game?

It's quite obvious why Namco is producing a 1080P version of Tekken Dark Ressurection for PS3 now, to counter VF5. :p I doubt it will work though.

It's quite obvious why Namco is producing a 1080P version of Tekken Dark Ressurection for PS3 now, to counter VF5. :p I doubt it will work though.

Tekken Dark Ressurection is a port of an old arcade game that will appear as a 800MB DLX game. It's expected to only cost in the $5-$8 USD range.

This is not the same territory as a Multi GB game that is going to cost $60 retail.

Tekken Dark Ressurection is a port of an old arcade game that will appear as a 800MB DLX game. It's expected to only cost in the $5-$8 USD range.

This is not the same territory as a Multi GB game that is going to cost $60 retail.

;)

VF5 isn't 1080p though.

The first "proper" PS3 version of Tekken will certainly look better than VF5.

While VF5 is probably the best looking fighting game I've seen it isn't built to spec for RSX, which although not quite as powerful as it was originally planned top be, still wipes the floor with the 6 series geforce in the lindenberg machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back