Value of Hardware Unboxed benchmarking *spawn

So are you suggesting HUB is perhaps receiving an incentive for testing the way they do?

HUB's incentive should be doing what they think draws most viewers, and that ought to be true for all other testers as well.

Likewise, if HUB did everything wrong like most of this thread suggests, they would have close to zero viewers and fade away.

A tester is free to test raytracing in whatever games he likes for whatever reason he has. And yes, one sensible reason for doing so could be because he wants to draw readers/viewers by featuring a game he knows is popular.
Sounds like an excuse to justify lame and sloppy testing.

So why the issue with keeping it about raytracing only? Stop taking reviews from another context and tear away at it for not including this and that. Stick to the relevant parts or leave it out.
This discussion was moved to this thread by the mods, the issue is closely related as HUB is still deceiving their audience even when they are testing RT games, the duplicate results issue is just another proof of the sloppy and irregular testing standards embraced by HUB that I have yet to see in any other YT channel (especially as HUB is connected to a reputable site called TechSpot).

HUB's incentive should be doing what they think draws most viewers, and that ought to be true for all other testers as well.

Likewise, if HUB did everything wrong like most of this thread suggests, they would have close to zero viewers and fade away.
It is, certain people on this forum just can't accept the fact that majority of HUB audience didn't care for RT for one reason or another that much (usually just because for many performance hit isn't worth the visuals). Everyone is supposed to test the games they want at the settings they want, which in general means heavier RT is better regardless of visuals.

Sounds like an excuse to justify lame and sloppy testing.

If you want to prove that the testing is lame and sloppy you get the same hardware and software and show on a repetetive basis that you get other performance figures.
You can complain about the choice of titles, but the whole point about telling what the tests are is so anyone can repeat the test to prove whether it was "sloppy" or not
This discussion was moved to this thread by the mods, the issue is closely related as HUB is still deceiving their audience even when they are testing RT games, the duplicate results issue is just another proof of the sloppy and irregular testing standards embraced by HUB that I have yet to see in any other YT channel (especially as HUB is connected to a reputable site called TechSpot).

If you want a thread dedicated to question HUB, or another reviewer for that matter, you are free to ask the mods for that.

Why is this even a question though? This is a thread about raytracing performance, as explained in the title. All here should simply be videos or graphs showing raytracing performance. Not going off about complaining about HUB, or any other site, not having done this and that, and proceed with agendas. Continuing with that is like begging for this thread to be closed and no new thread to replace it.

But if you admit this thread still is supposed to be where HUB haters can go off you are at least kind by sparing the mods their time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately some members here can't find any fault with HUB reviews. HUB has always been subpar compared to other review sites from their lack of effort regarding valid RT game testing/benchmarking and arriving at erroneous conclusions regarding GPU comparisons. I'm just glad to see this forum isn't the only place where people speak out about their obvious bias and inconsistent RT review methodology.

Unfortunately some members here can't find any fault with HUB reviews. HUB has always been subpar compared to other review sites from their lack of effort regarding valid RT game testing/benchmarking and arriving at erroneous conclusions regarding GPU comparisons. I'm just glad to see this forum isn't the only place where people speak out about their obvious bias and inconsistent RT review methodology.

Unfortunately some members can't differentiate between what actually is faulty reviews and opinions. If every other site shows that HUB gets different performance figures than them performing the test, that would heavily suggest HUB's testing was wrong and the review indeed faulty.
But deciding what games and what settings to test? That boils down to personal opinions/preferences, or wishes from your readers/viewers.

Well fortunately it was not a HUB hater that posted the faulty review video and highlight erroneous performance conclusions regarding two competing GPU's.

Wouldn't it be better if HUB actually avoided RT tests altogether instead of attempting to make their reviews more palatable from the standpoint of being inclusive with half assed RT testing? We wouldn't be having this conversation if that was the case.

Well fortunately it was not a HUB hater that posted the faulty review video and highlight erroneous performance conclusions regarding two competing GPU's.

Wouldn't it be better if HUB actually avoided RT tests altogether instead of attempting to make their reviews more palatable from the standpoint of being inclusive with half assed RT testing? We wouldn't be having this conversation if that was the case.
We all know that’s not true. The Nvidia super supporters on this forum repeatedly called for HUB to be blacklisted for not testing RT and having it in a separate video. When HUB was temporarily blacklisted the same people here celebrated it as being good for consumers…..

Last edited:
We all know that’s not true. The Nvidia super supporters on this forum repeatedly called for HUB to be blacklisted for not testing RT and having it in a separate video. When HUB temporarily was blacklisted the same people here celebrated it as being good for consumers…..
People have no problem with hub just steve can be inconsistent with his testing sometimes.. nvidia apologised for the dumb blacklisting of hub

I wonder if people complaining stopped to think that maybe some of the exact games they are suggesting were already benchmarked in the initial launch review of the 7900 series.

I wonder if people complaining stopped to think that maybe some of the exact games they are suggesting were already benchmarked in the initial launch review of the 7900 series.

We shouldn’t need to bend over backwards to explain HUB’s constantly shifting and seemingly arbitrary test selection. From a purely scientific perspective their methodology is a hot mess. There’s no rhyme or reason to how they test and because their stubborn anti-RT stance currently favors AMD they will get more love from that camp. It’s telling that no one has defended their choice to double count COD results. It’s that kind of randomness that makes them look shady.

I agree with an earlier comment in the thread. HUB should just keep RT and non-RT benchmarks completely separate like Techpowerup and other sites do. TPU is a beacon of consistency. They don’t test a lot of RT games either yet don’t get anywhere near the hate HUB does.

So then they should focus on Fortnite and Call of duty at minimum settings since no games can compete in player base with them?
If it is interesting to the people there is a case for it, yes.
Are we pretending that no one plays CP2077 now?

I for example couldn't care less about any Call of Duty title but that doesn't mean that no one is playing these games.
I think the sales count does not mean much, millions of people fell for the hype and preordered it. Trying the game because a TV show was good is not a good reason as well.
With this COD you are actually missing on a good game.

In that case a lot of the tested games in that review are practically useless, stuff like Strange Brigade (seiously WTF?), Riftbreaker, For Honor, Star Wars Squadron and others.

Cyberpunk is the most popular single player game on Steam in 2022 and by far, especially after the anime show and the constant updates that fixed almost everything and added lots of new features.

Dying Light as a series has a huge following, and the first game received dozens upon dozens of story and multiplayer add ons that went on for years, the game received multiple Definitive and Complete editions, and Dying Light 2 looks set to repeat the same story as Dying Light 1.
Strange Brigade was certainly more fun out of the box than Cyberpunk. By which metric is it popular on Steam? I checked recent reviews and it seems Cyberpunk was indeed improved into an above-average game, so I am fine with that now.

On the other hand, if a game as mediocre as Dying Light 2 will get the same accolades as the first one, I will be very disappointed.

If you -as a tester- are going to test ray tracing in Riftbreaker, instead of testing it in Cyberpunk, or Dying Lights 2, or Control, or Doom Eternal, or Watch Dogs Legion or Hitman 3 or Warhammer Darktide, then you either have a malintent or something is wrong in your head.
Not many of those games can compete with Riftbreakers entertainment-wise.

Anyway, I guess the tests selected are light on RT because of the author's opinion of a big performance hit not being worth it. I can imagine three valid sets of tests for no RT, light RT, and heavy RT. But HUB themselves should definitely be clear about what they are trying to show.

Last edited:
It may have been prudent to have another fortnite with hardware lumen in the test just to round out testing everything multiple times, especially with the conclusion saying hardware RT is going to be put out to pasture by ue5.
He never said this but continue pushing your agenda.

If you want to prove that the testing is lame and sloppy you get the same hardware
I think we have all have shown here how their methodology itself is random and devoid of logic, don't turn this into something that is not. When the basis of the test is wrong or random (duplicate game testing, selective API testing, seletive RT testing), the whole test is nuked. And we have every right to analyse this and express this.

I can imagine three valid sets of tests for no RT, light RT, and heavy RT. But HUB themselves should definitely be clear about what they are trying to show.
I can get behind this, it's a good idea.

Last edited:
We all know that’s not true. The Nvidia super supporters on this forum repeatedly called for HUB to be blacklisted for not testing RT and having it in a separate video. When HUB was temporarily blacklisted the same people here celebrated it as being good for consumers…..
See, that is the problem here: nVidia isnt allowed to not supply certain reviewers but reviewers should be allowed to do whatever they want. nVidia was absolut right to stop supporting them.

DLSS is the biggest hit on the PC platform since 3dfx's Voodoo cards. Hardwareunboxed has been against temporal upscaling from the beginning. Hardwareunboxed is an anti consumer channel.

Last edited:
DLSS is the biggest hit on the PC platform since 3dfx's Voodoo cards. Hardwareunboxed have been against temporal upscaling from the beginning. Hardwareunboxed is an anti consumer channel.
Because the beginning was awful. They recognised the value since 2.0. So I would say they informed consumers properly on this one.

I've hacked out the derailment. You guys need to figure out how to deal with discussion with sources you don't value. After a while you're just making noise - you aren't going to convince the other people to change perspective. Ideally, learn to just drop it, let people believe in their false religions, and move on to some other discussion point. Failing that, go to war and get it over with properly.

Back