Value of Hardware Unboxed benchmarking *spawn

Another example of Steve's approach to journalism.
What on earth are you talking about? The cynical-sounding headline here is actually 100% warranted, and if you posted the actual video so people could see the content and context, we could all see that.

It's wild how much HUB literally cannot win with some of y'all.

What on earth are you talking about? The cynical-sounding headline here is actually 100% warranted, and if you posted the actual video so people could see the content and context, we could all see that.
I don't promote Steve's content so you can do your own work.

As for "being 100% warranted" I have this thumbnail in a line of a couple others, all about the same CPU, and somehow they are more professional and less click-baity despite actually being relevant - arguably more so than the Steve's art cause, no, 9700X is not a "flop" (that's a financial result of sales which we can't know on launch day) and also Zen 5 certainly doesn't "suck" cause it's obviously not worse than Zen 4 which doesn't suck either.

The only part which is very questionable here is the pricing, and we'll see how that will adjust for the new SKUs over the next months.

I don't promote Steve's content so you can do your own work.
What a lame stance, especially when you're trying to criticize journalists. smh

As for "being 100% warranted" I have this thumbnail in a line of a couple others, all about the same CPU, and somehow they are more professional and less click-baity despite actually being relevant - arguably more so than the Steve's art cause, no, 9700X is not a "flop" (that's a financial result of sales which we can't know on launch day) and also Zen 5 certainly doesn't "suck" cause it's obviously not worse than Zen 4 which doesn't suck either.
Saying a new processor is fine just cuz it's not slower than its two year old predecessor is insane. And you know it. (and if you watch the video, you'll see it actually *is* slower than the 7700X in a number of titles)

The baseline expectation for new processors, especially after a two year gap, is a decent performance uplift. Anything short of that does indeed....suck.

Even Steve from GN had to note things like "This is just sad" during the review.

Waiting two years for this negligible increase in performance is absolutely terrible. Saying a new processor is fine just cuz it's not slower than its two year old predecessor is insane. And you know it.

The baseline expectation for new processors, especially after a two year gap, is a decent performance uplift. Anything short of that does indeed....suck.
You need to remember you're comparing 105W CPU to 65W CPU though, 9700X being the 65W one.

You need to remember you're comparing 105W CPU to 65W CPU though, 9700X being the 65W one.
This is covered in the video. Increasing the power does not translate to notably higher performance at all.

The 7700X could also be run at 65w with very little performance loss.

This is covered in the video. Increasing the power does not translate to notably higher performance at all.

The 7700X could also be run at 65w with very little performance loss.
Rly? We got 14% more in CB from 16% higher clocks with manual OC and when going with factory settings it's constantly hitting specifically power barrier, not temp or clock.

It's wild how much HUB literally cannot win with some of y'all.
HUB praises AMD: “HUB are AMD shills!”
HUB slams AMD: “HUB can’t be trusted!”
Lmfao
Can’t make this up!

Even GN was underwhelmed with this CPU launch. They basically said “hey, well, at least they’re not Intel CPUs that self immolate.”

But you are literally making it up right here.
No, that is an entirely accurate picture of how many in this place treat HUB.

It doesn't really matter what HUB say, people just start from a preconceived notion that they're bad and then work backwards to find a way to interpret anything they say as being bad somehow. It's genuinely laughable how sad some of the attempts at this are here.

Rly? We got 14% more in CB from 16% higher clocks with manual OC and when going with factory settings it's constantly hitting specifically power barrier, not temp or clock.
Again, Steve tested with PBO as well and didn't see any big gains from it. And he was already getting notably higher all core clocks than certain other outlets(like GN). And also said they talked to AMD thoroughly to ensure their data wasn't somehow off for some reason and AMD said it was more or less in line with expectations.

Also not a huge fan of CB as a benchmark(not just saying that now for convenience, I've always said this). I know it's not technically an artificial benchmark, but I prefer judging performance based on apps people actually use.

Last edited:
Back