Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

It's a bit of a shame. Cyberpunk obviously went a bit wonky for them, but the REDengine's always been interesting.

From their press release, they make it sound like much more of a tech partnership (but that might just be a face saving move). Having a AAA opening world/RPG developer will surely benefit UE development over the coming years.

“One of the core aspects of our internal RED 2.0 Transformation is a much stronger focus on technology, and our cooperation with Epic Games is based on this principle. From the outset, we did not consider a typical licensing arrangement; both we and Epic see this as a long-term, fulfilling tech partnership. It is vital for CD PROJEKT RED to have the technical direction of our next game decided from the earliest possible phase as; in the past, we spent a lot of resources and energy to evolve and adapt REDengine with every subsequent game release. This cooperation is so exciting, because it will elevate development predictability and efficiency, while simultaneously granting us access to cutting-edge game development tools. I can’t wait for the great games we’re going to create using Unreal Engine 5!”

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/...t-of-a-strategic-partnership-with-epic-games/

CD Project Red switching to UE5 for the next Witcher game. The number of custom engines keeps shrinking.

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/42167/a-new-saga-begins
$$$$$.
If you bring down time to deliver; multi platform deploy and have some of the most advanced graphics; you have to ask yourself if it’s still worth it. A 1 project change over and once your pipeline is UE, you continue to benefit going forward with each new release.

It's a bit of a shame. Cyberpunk obviously went a bit wonky for them, but the REDengine's always been interesting.

From their press release, they make it sound like much more of a tech partnership (but that might just be a face saving move). Having a AAA opening world/RPG developer will surely benefit UE development over the coming years.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/...t-of-a-strategic-partnership-with-epic-games/

They have absolutely no reason to save face. It just makes financial sense, and it's harder and harder for companies to keep up with the UE juggernaut. The partnership will just ensure that UE is capable of the technologies they need.

They have absolutely no reason to save face. It just makes financial sense, and it's harder and harder for companies to keep up with the UE juggernaut. The partnership will just ensure that UE is capable of the technologies they need.
Although...how big can an engine become before it becomes jack of all trades, master of none? Is it possible for a 'one size fits all' solution or will sacrifices be made elsewhere for a cheaper, 'good enough' solution?

With what we have seen from UE5, it is kinda above anything else, makes sense for studios to move that way. As others have said, its hard to keep up with this juggernaut. Also seems that UE can scale to basically any game.

I would agree with that as far as most single player games are concerned. It's a different story for some multiplayer titles.

Adjustments can also be made to the Unreal Engine itself. At some point, however, the differences can be too great that one does not always take the current Unreal and then only imports fragments.

Although...how big can an engine become before it becomes jack of all trades, master of none? Is it possible for a 'one size fits all' solution or will sacrifices be made elsewhere for a cheaper, 'good enough' solution?

I don't think there's any way to really know, but there's just the simple economics of keeping up when making AAA titles. A custom solution may be better, but if trying to build it would bankrupt your company then UE is a better option. It's either that or get bought out buy Microsoft or Sony to get enormous funding and maybe some allowance to make passion project games that round out the console library instead of strictly making the most money possible.

I don't think there's any way to really know, but there's just the simple economics of keeping up when making AAA titles. A custom solution may be better, but if trying to build it would bankrupt your company then UE is a better option. It's either that or get bought out buy Microsoft or Sony to get enormous funding and maybe some allowance to make passion project games that round out the console library instead of strictly making the most money possible.

Also that, so far, there has not been anyone surpassing what UE has shown to be capable off. I think not many will complain what they get from UE5 based games.

also their whole code base for their engine has been completely leaked some time ago..., so why working on their own "life's work" when everyone else can already have that?

Btw, this demo looks really good.

However, I think the new Unity video called "Enemies" looks better. In fact, it's the most realistic representation of a human in 3D form, imho.

Last edited:
However, I think the new Unity video called "Enemies" looks better. In fact, it's the most realistic representation of a human in 3D form, imho.

Enemies is really nice. It doesn't give us much indication of what Unity game / cutscene characters will look like. It doesn't give us much indication of how democratic their character tools are either.

Metahuman creater and the Matrix demo provide a pretty good idea of the quality anyone can bring to UE5 projects. It'll be interesting to see where Unity's Weta and Ziva purchases take their character tools in comparison.

Last edited:
also their whole code base for their engine has been completely leaked some time ago..., so why working on their own "life's work" when everyone else can already have that?

Not only does Enemies look better artistically, it's also more accurate. Kitana's not a blond, for example.

Maybe I am missing something but the actual game looked better to me.

Back