Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I wish fortnite had a sharpening slider for DLSS. Had to add sharpening but turning on image scaling in the Nvidia control panel. Sort of sucks to have to relaunch the game every time you change the sharpening there. Fortnite doesn't support nvidia filters for good reason. Would just be nice to have a simple slider in game. Getting really used to nanite and how stable everything looks at a distance. There is still some kind of LOD changes that happen, but it's not as obvious distance related pop-in like other games. Going back to other games with obvious LOD changes happening all the time is going to be annoying.

Edit: I'm assuming UE has some kind of sharpening available, or supports the sharpening options of upscalers.

Last edited:
HLODs pop ins (memory related) still happens, also terrain still pop as well, as terrain is still yet not Nanite in Fortnite.
Terrain is Nanite in Fortnite, but it may have some interactions with HLOD as well, I don't recall for sure. HLOD stuff is mostly about non-graphical things (cutting down actor counts via merging, removing some physics stuff, etc) when a game is primarily Nanite.

Terrain is Nanite in Fortnite, but it may have some interactions with HLOD as well, I don't recall for sure. HLOD stuff is mostly about non-graphical things (cutting down actor counts via merging, removing some physics stuff, etc) when a game is primarily Nanite.

Is H-Lod not nanite? I guess that would explain the highly visible pop there as a transition, but that also seems like an obvious target for improvement if so. Guess you'd need to handle the RT LOD gen from that as well, what with the lower LODS of nanite having micro cracks.

I wish fortnite had a sharpening slider for DLSS. Had to add sharpening but turning on image scaling in the Nvidia control panel. Sort of sucks to have to relaunch the game every time you change the sharpening there. Fortnite doesn't support nvidia filters for good reason. Would just be nice to have a simple slider in game. Getting really used to nanite and how stable everything looks at a distance. There is still some kind of LOD changes that happen, but it's not as obvious distance related pop-in like other games. Going back to other games with obvious LOD changes happening all the time is going to be annoying.

Edit: I'm assuming UE has some kind of sharpening available, or supports the sharpening options of upscalers.

It's a UE game, shouldn't that be something you could edit/add to the one of *.ini files?

Regards,
SB

Is H-Lod not nanite? I guess that would explain the highly visible pop there as a transition, but that also seems like an obvious target for improvement if so. Guess you'd need to handle the RT LOD gen from that as well, what with the lower LODS of nanite having micro cracks.
HLOD is a separate system that is somewhat orthogonal to Nanite. It's job is to simplify down distant stuff so that you're not trying to run lots of unnecessary things that are far too small/too far away to matter. In terms of the geometry/materials that it spits out, it can be simplified meshes with Nanite enabled, it can be effectively the original Nanite meshes, it can be non-Nanite meshes - the game controls the tradeoffs there. In Fortnite I believe (but don't quote me as I've not look at this recently) the HLOD meshes have Nanite enabled, but they are still altered somewhat from the source meshes. There's some non-Nanite stuff still in Fortnite as well that will generally just be culled from the HLODs. Trees I think are a special case in that they retain their full rendering quality in the HLODs in Fortnite.

More info on the high level system: https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.3/en-US/hierarchical-level-of-detail-overview-in-unreal-engine/

Anyways I agree there's certainly opportunities for improvements on the high end for Fortnite graphics, but I have some sympathy for that given the dizzying array of platforms they support. The fact that they spent time to support the higher end graphical features in UE5 at all is still somewhat surprising to me, but I'm happy it's there as a proof point.

Last edited:
New combat trailer for Hell Blade 2 (UE5)

THIS, looks better than anything on the high-end PC so far, I think the word has stuck with everyone... :ROFLMAO:

This is if they take advantage of the capabilities of the current generation console.

HLOD is a separate system that is somewhat orthogonal to Nanite. It's job is to simplify down distant stuff so that you're not trying to run lots of unnecessary things that are far too small/too far away to matter. In terms of the geometry/materials that it spits out, it can be simplified meshes with Nanite enabled, it can be effectively the original Nanite meshes, it can be non-Nanite meshes - the game controls the tradeoffs there. In Fortnite I believe (but don't quote me as I've not look at this recently) the HLOD meshes have Nanite enabled, but they are still altered somewhat from the source meshes. There's some non-Nanite stuff still in Fortnite as well that will generally just be culled from the HLODs. Trees I think are a special case in that they retain their full rendering quality in the HLODs in Fortnite.

More info on the high level system: https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.3/en-US/hierarchical-level-of-detail-overview-in-unreal-engine/

Anyways I agree there's certainly opportunities for improvements on the high end for Fortnite graphics, but I have some sympathy for that given the dizzying array of platforms they support. The fact that they spent time to support the higher end graphical features in UE5 at all is still somewhat surprising to me, but I'm happy it's there as a proof point.

Does unreal suport multiple levels of HLOD? As in, multiple HLOD meshes being combined into a single one even more simplified? Because I believe most open world games have that kind of LODing.

GTA 5, for one, has the highest LOD of, say, a building, be an assemblage of many instanced pieces (standard game stuff), at some distance, those many pieces are switched for a songle model of the whole building with simpler GEO. Ok, that'd be as far as HLOD in unreal goes. But in GTAV, when one goes even further, now all the buildings of that block are swapped by a single mesh of even simpler geo for the whole block. Further still, a whole neighborhood is merged into a single very simple mesh, and so on.

Is that kind of chain supported by UE, or can it be cobbled together using the tools as they are? Because I think that would be very helpful for optimal performance in very large open worlds such as fornite...

Does unreal suport multiple levels of HLOD? As in, multiple HLOD meshes being combined into a single one even more simplified? Because I believe most open world games have that kind of LODing.
Yes (presumably that's the "hierarchical" bit), but I couldn't tell you the details of how to set that all up :D All I know is that some of the nanite stuff has used "HLOD0" to put unaltered Nanite meshes in so that it's only Nanite doing LOD/simplification, but while removing a bunch of the stuff around physics and other engine overhead in the distance still.

Last edited:

GTA 5, for one, has the highest LOD of, say, a building, be an assemblage of many instanced pieces (standard game stuff), at some distance, those many pieces are switched for a songle model of the whole building with simpler GEO. Ok, that'd be as far as HLOD in unreal goes. But in GTAV, when one goes even further, now all the buildings of that block are swapped by a single mesh of even simpler geo for the whole block. Further still, a whole neighborhood is merged into a single very simple mesh, and so on.

Is that kind of chain supported by UE, or can it be cobbled together using the tools as they are? Because I think that would be very helpful for optimal performance in very large open worlds such as fornite...

you can see that behaviour with nanite in the matrix awakens demo, when switching to nanite view.

you can see that behaviour with nanite in the matrix awakens demo, when switching to nanite view.

My impression was that whole buildings are swapped out for a simpler model, and then there are no further simplifications after that. I could be wrong, though.

Quick question : whats the consensus on UE 5 ive heard opposing views from it's great to it sucks

I don't think there's a consensus, and I don't think there should be. There still aren't many UE5 games out, especially not AAA ones. On top of that, UE5 is not a fixed engine. UE5.4+ are going to have major rewrites to things like the render thread to improve cpu occupancy. Games coming out are from a variety of UE5 versions from 5.0 to 5.3. Only Fortnite is 5.4, but we don't know which improvements it includes. There's a tendency to look at a couple of games and say, "Engine x is good/bad." But there's a lot to the skill, resources of the developers that impact the game, probably more than the engine.

Back