Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

FSR2 was improved significantly in Starfield in the latest patches, they fixed some serious issues with the implementation. From my testing when the DLSS patch was released, it's now very close to DLSS in quality IMO. That's specifically Starfield though.

I'm not looking for errors in videos, but I'm playing the game on a 65" TV, and I'm completely blown away by the picture quality. Many people I know who also play the game have never mentioned "falling apart", they just say the image quality on Xbox is nice.

It's one thing to critically see what you can see if you focus on it, but that has little to do with the judgment of normal gamers who play the game and enjoy the graphics.

I hope many games use FSR this well in the future.
Just because terrible IQ doesn't bother you does not mean FSR 2 is good. Some people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. That doesn't mean 30 fps is perfectly smooth.

Last edited:
The demo for that luto game is also on steam incase anyone wants to see how it stacks up.

Edit:
Despite connectivity issues from an enormous amount of people watching the end of season event, they managed to hit 11.6 million players online for the event. I was able to watch it with hardware ray tracing and the lumen stuff on high, DLSS quality @ 1440p, effects and post processing epic. Was around 85 fps minimum on a 3080. Pretty cool.

1701545497322.png

Last edited:
FSR2 was improved significantly in Starfield in the latest patches, they fixed some serious issues with the implementation. From my testing when the DLSS patch was released, it's now very close to DLSS in quality IMO. That's specifically Starfield though.
Exactly, the image quality of Starfield turned out to be very good on console.

Some very nice outdoor scenes from RoboCob, with very very minimal LOD pop in.

Man, the environment looks truly incredible. And those pitch perfect reflections.

I think RT cores are having an existential crisis now. It's pretty cool what signed distance fields can achieve.

Looks great. If only human characters could take another leap forward. Also throw in full physics damage and, well, roll on next generation eh

That’s a good point. Environments are looking amazing and will only get better next gen. It will be weird to have poor looking characters in such realistic settings.

Ray tracing cores in existential threat because of the artifact-rich reflections from Robocop? Before drawing such conclusions one should play games more attentively.

Robocop's reflections are several classes below the ones from Alan Wake 2 or Cyberpunk 2077.

That’s a good point. Environments are looking amazing and will only get better next gen. It will be weird to have poor looking characters in such realistic settings.

They don't even have to look bad but even if they are only good they really stands out in a game with a graphics like in Alan Wake 2. Apart from the characters Alan Wake 2 almost looks like a movie.

When I watch the pre-rendered Alan Wake 2 CGI trailer I only find the animations of rain, smoke and the character better than the actual game.

Last edited:
Man, that is really far from the case- Have you played the game?
Most of those reflections are SSR and if you look at them, they are really deformed and wrong.
No, but I have looked at the video and to me these reflections are almost perfect. That's because the video doesn't analyse them, which you normally wouldn't anyway when playing the game.

No one actual playing the game will look closer at them and see the imperfections like we tech junkies do. That is the reality of the situation. UE5 Software RT made RT acceleration obsolete, the benefits from using HW-RT are just not that great.

And to me, Software or Hardware Lumen both look more realistic than Cyberpunk and Alan Wake with Path Tracing. IDK why, I know its technically much superior but Lumen looks more realistic. Maybe it's the color grading.

I hate to admit it because I'm a huge fan of fixed function hardware like RT cores, but UE5 proves you don't need them.

I think the RT software looks bad in comparison. This is the economy solution for the lower end of the hardware, I will never use it voluntarily if I can use a hardware version. Entitlements are just different...

UE5 software luman made fixed function obsolete? Then everyone would just have to make it in software. CIG is also developing a software and hardware GI for SC and they said that the hardware version is much more detailed.

Immortals of Aveum looks more realistic than Alan Wake 2? The color grading too?

Currently no rekeased UE game can compete with Alan Wake 2 or Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:
Immortals of Aveum looks more realistic than Alan Wake 2?

Currently no UE game can compete with Alan Wake 2 or Cyberpunk 2077.
Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk still look like a game, whereas RoboCop looks like a photograph. It's easy to see.
Fa0iCij.jpg

alan-wake-2-full-ray-tracing-multi-bounce-ray-lighting-comparison-rtx-on.jpg

I'm sorry, but Robocop looks a lot better to me and more realistic. Alan Wake looks video-gamey even with path tracing.

One example of a bad implementation won't change how much more realistic Lumen looks.

I don't know what you're talking about. Robocop has a lot of gamey SSR artifacts while Alan Wake 2 is even in motion very stable and physically more accurate.

I could post dozens of pictures here but I don't want to clutter up the thread.

I don't know what you're talking about. Robocop has a lot of gamey SSR artifacts while Alan Wake 2 is very stable and physically more accurate.

I could post dozens of pictures here but I don't want to clutter up the thread.
I will explain, so you can understand it better.

Simple point is, SSR artifacts are nitpicks compared to the overall look of the game. Anyone not obsessed with wiping ingame objects out of screenspace will confirm that. I want you to go to a friend or family member right now and present them the two pictures and ask which one is more realistic.

They will all tell you how Robocop looks more realistic, I can promise you that.

UE5 does a lot less calculation wise compared to Nvidia's path tracing implementations but still manages to look better as in the overall look of the game. That's definately worthy of high praise.

SSR artifacts are nitpicks compared to the overall look of the game
No they are not. That "photograph" of yours is breaking down completely in motion, with lots of noise, disocclusion artifacts and also worse performance than you'd expect.

The fact that you like this art style doesn't make it better looking than that of AW2 or some other modern game which is using h/w RT - or tells us anything about the "existential crisises" of RT cores.

No they are not. That "photograph" of yours is breaking down completely in motion, with lots of noise, disocclusion artifacts and also worse performance than you'd expect.

The fact that you like this art style doesn't make it better looking than that of AW2 or some other modern game which is using h/w RT - or tells us anything about the "existential crisises" of RT cores.
That's because your brain has been trained to notice these things more so than the average gamer. That's how the human brain works. I have to say this as I feel this forum needs a reality check sometimes. We are in a tiny tech enthusiast bubble after all here.

Let me assure you, even if you friends and family members would compare both games running on your PC, they will still think Robocop is the more realistic game. These artifacts that are seemingly so obvious to you are a nitpick that not many people will notice, that's a fact. They will prefer Robocop in terms of realism simply because it overall looks more realistic. And it's not just an art style thing, even if you open a plain UE project and enable Lumen, it still has that hyper realistic feel to it.

Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk still look like a game, whereas RoboCop looks like a photograph. It's easy to see.
In best case environments, yes. But that's attainable via photogrammetry. Compares favourably with Death Stranding.

1701612470444.png

1701612507969.png
I think 'looks like a photograph' isn't good enough and we need 'looks like a movie' in motion, reacting to light changes, dynamic lighting and occlusion, etc.

Back